The Student Room Group

Unit 5 A2 Chemistry Ligand help needed!

Ok so I understand how a ligand works and all that stuff, but I noticed in my text book it says when ammonia is replacing water ligands there is a different effect for cobalt than there is for copper.

For instance,
When reacting with cobalt, the OH- ion first creates Cobalt hydroxide and this goes on to react with the ammonia to form Co(NH3)6 and 2 hydroxide ions, whereas for copper, the same thing happens to create a copper hydroxide ion, however this reacts with ammonia, but this time 2 other water ligands to from Cu(NH3)4(H2O)2^2+

Why is this different?
Any help appreciated and good luck to everyone doing unit 5 and chemistry A level in general! :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
Original post by H0psin
Ok so I understand how a ligand works and all that stuff, but I noticed in my text book it says when ammonia is replacing water ligands there is a different effect for cobalt than there is for copper.

For instance,
When reacting with cobalt, the OH- ion first creates Cobalt hydroxide and this goes on to react with the ammonia to form Co(NH3)6 and 2 hydroxide ions, whereas for copper, the same thing happens to create a copper hydroxide ion, however this reacts with ammonia, but this time 2 other water ligands to from Cu(NH3)4(H2O)2^2+

Why is this different?
Any help appreciated and good luck to everyone doing unit 5 and chemistry A level in general! :wink:

Basically 6 NH3 ligands cannot all fit onto the the central metal ion (copper) therefore only four H20 ligands are replaced giving the complex Cu(NH3)4(H2O)2^2+ , this is the only complex that this happens to that's been mentioned in the spec I believe
ITs dilute ammonia in excess.
Reply 4
Original post by TheLegalDealer
Basically 6 NH3 ligands cannot all fit onto the the central metal ion (copper) therefore only four H20 ligands are replaced giving the complex Cu(NH3)4(H2O)2^2+ , this is the only complex that this happens to that's been mentioned in the spec I believe

Thanks so much bro, good luck with your exams! :wink:
Original post by H0psin
Thanks so much bro, good luck with your exams! :wink:

You too dude !

Quick Reply

Latest