The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Which Canterbury accommodation is best?

I applied for my accommodation back in february, putting the parkwood houses first and second, with halls for third and fourth.
Now I'm having second thoughts because I really like Keynes College - it's just the price that puts me off it. Also, I don't know if sharing a bathroom is going to get annoying.
Regardless, which accommodation would you say is the nicest?

A rating could be helpful

Thanks!
Original post by BajoLily
I applied for my accommodation back in february, putting the parkwood houses first and second, with halls for third and fourth.
Now I'm having second thoughts because I really like Keynes College - it's just the price that puts me off it. Also, I don't know if sharing a bathroom is going to get annoying.
Regardless, which accommodation would you say is the nicest?

A rating could be helpful

Thanks!

It's so ridiculously subjective that I can't possibly answer the question as it is. However, Parkwood housesare just fine and many, many other freshers will be in the same boat as there are so many of the houses. As you say, the price is certainly more appealing and when you're there you'll soon realise it's not worth the extra hundreds (thousands even) of pounds to have a private bathroom. You probably share a bathroom at home at the moment, no? The only difference is that it's a few more people you're sharing with. No big deal.

I mean, if you really do want an objective rating you could say that the newest accommodation is best and it goes down the scale that way but it really does depend on the person.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
I won't argue about it being subjective - it really is.
I can only give you my opinion. I lived in Keynes flats this past year and, personally I found the extra cost really worth it. Not just for the private bathroom (although, honestly, I was so thankful for it - I'm going to miss that part most), but also for the location on campus, the space, the room, the kitchen... Just everything, really.

The cost was a really big thing for me, because I didn't have help from my family or anything and it took a big chunk out of my funding, but I'm so so glad I made the decision I did - I was really happy there and honestly wish I didn't have to leave!

Hope that helps at least a bit. Good luck!
I lived in Parkwood (5 bed house) this year and for the price it was really good. The rooms were nice and big and the whole place had been renovated recently. Sharing a bathroom wasn't too bad especially since everyone in my house did different degrees so were on different schedueles. However if I could go back I'd pick the 6 bedroom 1. Because the bigger kitchen made it more of a social place and 2. Though I didn't mind sharing a bathroom, if I'd had the extra one in the 6 bedroom, I'd have shared with 3 people rather than 2. As for Keynes it is really lovely and if you want to put in the extra cash may be worth it but personally I wouldn't have stayed there instead just because having an ensuite wasn't that important. Though I do like that you get a sofa in the kitchen.
Reply 4
It really depends on the person - I think you'll enjoy Parkwood though.
I personally hated the idea of Parkwood cause it's pretty far away from the main area of campus (not horribly so - only like a 10 min walk probably but I just didn't fancy that after a night out/if I'm late to a lecture or whatever).
But I had lots of Parkwood friends and they loved it.
Keynes is great but it is crazy expensive - especially if you go for the en-suite rooms with the double beds. But if you can afford it it's absolutely brilliant.

I personally stayed in Tyler Court which I pretty much loved. Obviously it wasn't perfect but no student accommodation ever is. But it was en-suite which was a massive draw for me (don't know how I would've coped sharing bathrooms - but it depends on you as a person I guess). And it was a great location to everything - most classes and the library/shops were barely a 5 min walk away.

But don't worry you'll have a great time wherever you are - it's cliche but it is more of the people that 'make' where you live great - not so much the accommodation - so if you get great housemates I'm sure you'll get on fine.

Also Parkwood is famously a really thriving/social place - there's always parties on and stuff so if you're into drinking + the nightlife you'll love it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending