The Student Room Group

Advice needed.

Hi all, I may have a problem and need advice. Most UNIs ask for a 'C' grade in Maths and English. Problem is, I have the English at 'A' at GCSE level, but a 'D' in Maths. I'm more of a Humanities kid. I got ABB at AS level. I plan to further my success at A2. I want to do the Law LLB course at UNI, and I want to apply for good, Russel Group UNIs. I have no time to go back and study GCSE Mathematics and was wondering If my A-Levels would compensate for my Maths.

(Btw I do, History, Politics, English Lang/Lit)

Any sort of advice will be appreciated.
Reply 1
Most uni's look at GCSE results especially russell groups. Have you done statistics GCSE because this could compensate for it. I didn't have a B in English language and I called a Russell group before applying and they said that as long as literature is a B which luckily it was then I'm fine so perhaps try calling the uni's before you apply to check and not waste a choice if they won't consider you. Look for some uni's that don't want maths as a back up. Have you considered picking up AS level maths in year 13?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by r-t
Most uni's look at GCSE results especially russell groups. Have you done statistics GCSE because this could compensate for it. I didn't have a B in English language and I called a Russell group before applying and they said that as long as literature is a B which luckily it was then I'm fine so perhaps try calling the uni's before you apply to check and not waste a choice if they won't consider you. Look for some uni's that don't want maths as a back up. Have you considered picking up AS level maths in year 13?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi thanks for the reply. I got two As in both Lit/Lang. I doubt my college would allow me to take AS Maths as I don't even have a pass grade in GCSE Maths. I'm really stuck here. Do they really matter? Law doesn't strike me in being a very mathematical course. My potential grades could get me into some of these UNIs, surely?
Reply 3
Have you checked the entry requirements for the potential uni's you are considering because not all require maths. I do suggest that you retake GCSE maths though and if your college doesn't allow you then take it privately. This is because whilst you can still get into uni's with it, future employers will want it so it will make things a lot easier for you if you retake GCSE and you were only one grade off a C which technically is a few marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BIMMERBENZ
Hi thanks for the reply. I got two As in both Lit/Lang. I doubt my college would allow me to take AS Maths as I don't even have a pass grade in GCSE Maths. I'm really stuck here. Do they really matter? Law doesn't strike me in being a very mathematical course. My potential grades could get me into some of these UNIs, surely?

Rather than trying to guess this or relying on hearsay on a forum get in touch with the admissions staff for the courses and universities you're considering and ask THEM if a C GCSE maths is required and if so if there are any alternatives that they might accept.

Also speak to your college about retaking the GCSE (and if they offer any alternatives) so that you know your options.

While it might not seem relevant to the degree directly GCSE maths and English grade C+ is a fairly standard requirement for a lot of graduate jobs - unis are often wary of admitting students without it because they know that they'll struggle to find suitable employment after graduation without it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending