The Student Room Group

Why would you vote anything but Conservative?

I honestly cannot understand why people aren't realising that the conservatives are the only hope of keeping the recovery going (in the short term) but more importantly keeping this country from falling apart.

SNP are going to win almost all Scottish seats without doubt and will have around 40/45 MP's, a very decent chunk that can make a racket. Labour are not going to win a majority...no chance so the only option if for a Labour/SNP deal, Also Ed Miliband is the most incompetent man i've come across in a while, could you imagine him trying to negotiate something with Putin, Obama or Merkel??? Sturgeon is going to have him wrapped around her finger.

So If you vote labour you are basically saying 'Lets give some people who want to break up the country, and only have an interest in 1/13th of the countries population a significant slice of power over the remaining 12/13th's'.

I know the Conservatives are not the most popular with everyone, but they are the only feasible way we can stop this madness that has seen 5 million people get so much more attention than the remaining 60 million.

Also a vote for UKIP will just let Labour in, this will in turn let the SNP in.
Also If you vote UKIP there will be NO chance of leaving Europe, however if there is a referendum then you will be able to do whatever you want then and you can only get a referendum with the conservatives.

So please, please just do the sensible thing.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Tories are trying to win votes on TSR smh.
Reply 2
Im from up north (teesside) and live in Stockton south which is currently a Tory seat. But labour seems to offer much more for the working class people and as I've done work experience in hospitals they seem to much prefer the idea of a labour government than Tory. The north gets hugely neglected under the Tories and I like some of the ways Sturgeon goes about things although I don't want Scottish independence.

And then personally I think leaving the EU would be disastrous so I don't really want any chance you of that happening...

And yeah as much as I'm totally backing labour I think ed milliband isn't exactly the best leader but I hate the way that the Tories election bid seems to be all negative as it focusing on problems in labour as oppose to anything good about themselves, not exactly attracting and I've lost a lot of respect for Cameron. So yeah I don't see why Tory would be voted for as all they seem to do is neglect the working class up north, labour seem to offer much more.

However realistically the next government is gonna be a coalition and out of a Tory/ukip government and a labour/SNP government its an obvious choice to me as I don't wanna see that idiot farage anywhere near Westminster...
Reply 3
Vote conservatives!
Original post by jto5792
Im from up north (teesside) and live in Stockton south which is currently a Tory seat. But labour seems to offer much more for the working class people and as I've done work experience in hospitals they seem to much prefer the idea of a labour government than Tory. The north gets hugely neglected under the Tories and I like some of the ways Sturgeon goes about things although I don't want Scottish independence.

And then personally I think leaving the EU would be disastrous so I don't really want any chance you of that happening...

And yeah as much as I'm totally backing labour I think ed milliband isn't exactly the best leader but I hate the way that the Tories election bid seems to be all negative as it focusing on problems in labour as oppose to anything good about themselves, not exactly attracting and I've lost a lot of respect for Cameron. So yeah I don't see why Tory would be voted for as all they seem to do is neglect the working class up north, labour seem to offer much more.

However realistically the next government is gonna be a coalition and out of a Tory/ukip government and a labour/SNP government its an obvious choice to me as I don't wanna see that idiot farage anywhere near Westminster...

I Understand your point, I've just up your constituency, wow that one is going to be close.

Also UKIP are going to get 4 seats at most so a coalition with them won't be much use.
Funny, but I can't imagine any person with an ounce of intelligence voting anyone other than lib dem or labour (Lib dem did lose their principles once in bed with the Tories though so I'll let people off voting for them!) but meh - we just have different priorities in life and different political ideologies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jto5792

And thus far I've seen nothing to suggest that voting Conservative is a bad idea. Labour SEEM to offer more for the working class people, not quite sure how, and people conditioned to hate the Tories hate the Tories. The North gets neglected under the Tories, but I suppose they also do under Labour since most fo the "neglect" of one region vs another is down to **** councils.

I wouldn't say that the balance between attack and defense is a bad one, to say that all they do is attack is far from fair, it's just that that's all the left wingers pay attention to, and Labour do make it VERY easy to attack them. Let's take a quick scroll through the Facebook page and summarise:
SNP are terrible, let's keep them out of power
Couple of video clips from Scotland Debate
Success in education
Plans for further improvement in education
Back on the SNP
#Ballsup on his Uturn on non-doms
And another
Back on the SNP
Another Scotland clip
And again
And again
Loads of bits on the campaign trail, mostly DCam but also pickles
Back to attacking Labour with the "I'm afraid there is no money" letter
Advertising
Cutting of income tax for the poorest
and again
and again
more photo calls
and now I'm getting bored

Doesn't seem to be much attacking of Labour there, unless you're counting the "we want to keep the fishes out" as attacking Labour.

The funny thing is, when you remove all the spam from the Labour page (they really need a better team, they seem to be putting out the same image, or incredibly similar images, several times a day) there is an awful lot of Tory bashing going on and there doesn't seem to be a great deal of policy going on, although they really are weaponaising the NHS, even if it is by uploading the same image every few hours, disorganised rabble.
Reply 7
I do still feel labour offer more for people of my area and more power up north, £1 is spent on transport in the north for every £20 spent in London for example under the Tories. And I have huge belief in the NHS and from doctors and people in the NHS they believe labours ideas are much more positive than the Tories.

And yeah the constituency is ridiculously close :tongue:

And to be honest let's face it, at the moment no party is offering the right ideas everywhere so whoever gets in has good points and many negative things too. The parties are in dire states...
Original post by jto5792
I do still feel labour offer more for people of my area and more power up north, £1 is spent on transport in the north for every £20 spent in London for example under the Tories. And I have huge belief in the NHS and from doctors and people in the NHS they believe labours ideas are much more positive than the Tories.

And yeah the constituency is ridiculously close :tongue:

And to be honest let's face it, at the moment no party is offering the right ideas everywhere so whoever gets in has good points and many negative things too. The parties are in dire states...

On the point of the NHS, I'm not entirely sure how, in a world where one surefire way to make people happy is to pour money unnecessarily into the NHS, a party that is pledging only a little bit of cash relatively is seen as having the better policies than the parties that are basically saying "NHS, we have a blank cheque for you". And what is the basis of this 1:20 spending? Or is it ignoring the fact that London has 2 major airports, at least one minor airport, a large underground network and a dense network of roads, none of which the North East come close to, and I assume it also fails to consider the population disparity either.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Right so you're saying the north doesn't have any significant airports - Manchester, Leeds Bradford, Newcastle, Liverpool, the list goes on...
And there are underground train systems such as the metro up north too, and then I'm fairly certain more people live in the entire north of england than live in London. And yet the people of London are treated in such greater manner. Saying this I do find London a very appealing place. Though millions is spent on the new Thameslink and is it really needed? When up north my nearest airport (Durham tees valley) which was once thriving is now struggling to support itself, many roads are of dire quality yet this Tory government (or more council and local mp) seem determined to build a vast number of houses yet no public services to cope with these people. For example my college is part of a secondary school which is being forced to deal with huge numbers of people over its acceptable rate yet the government refuses to acknowledge the huge number of derelict ran down housing in nearby middlesbrough which could be converted.
Under this government quality of life and local services have hugely decreased. Under the Blair government things were going much better, labour just seems the obvious way to make progress compared to the conservative old fashioned 19th century viewpoint...
Reply 10
And as you've said London has all these outstanding facilities yet there isn't anything like that up north... The Tories don't seem to have any intention to change that yet labour seem more promising.

Why should you get a better quality of life by being born into a higher class London family than a working class northern family?

I say this and I am not a working class member...
Original post by jto5792
Right so you're saying the north doesn't have any significant airports - Manchester, Leeds Bradford, Newcastle, Liverpool, the list goes on...
And there are underground train systems such as the metro up north too, and then I'm fairly certain more people live in the entire north of england than live in London. And yet the people of London are treated in such greater manner. Saying this I do find London a very appealing place. Though millions is spent on the new Thameslink and is it really needed? When up north my nearest airport (Durham tees valley) which was once thriving is now struggling to support itself, many roads are of dire quality yet this Tory government (or more council and local mp) seem determined to build a vast number of houses yet no public services to cope with these people. For example my college is part of a secondary school which is being forced to deal with huge numbers of people over its acceptable rate yet the government refuses to acknowledge the huge number of derelict ran down housing in nearby middlesbrough which could be converted.
Under this government quality of life and local services have hugely decreased. Under the Blair government things were going much better, labour just seems the obvious way to make progress compared to the conservative old fashioned 19th century viewpoint...

If everything is so dire in the areas that always elect labour leaders then maybe they should elect someone different, people in the North are 'generally' always electing labour MP's and nothing seems to change, whereas the South, where they generally elect conservative MP's, there seems to be a much better quality of life.

Also you said that roads are bad, well the conservatives at the end of last year announced £15bn in road schemes across the UK. The Tories are supporting HS2 to link the North better with the South, something that Labour have opposed.

One of the biggest criticism's of this government has been that they haven't built enough houses, so if you live in an area where houses have been built, count yourself lucky as this will be of huge help to you when you come to buying your first home.

You also mentioned that there are not enough school places. The conservatives have granted 400 free school between 2010 and 2015 (230,000 places) and have announced that they will open 500 more if they get back into power. Labour also strongly oppose them saying they are not necessary.

The best way to create money for public services is to get people into work, so they are paying tax, not getting job seekers allowance and they are increasing the countries productivity. As I'm sure you know they conservatives have dropped unemployment by almost 1million.

So, I know it seems like Labour are the people's party, and the conservatives are seen as 'nasty' but in reality they are the best choice for hardworking people, which i'm sure you are. You will never reach prosperity in a society through taxation.
Original post by TheNervousWreck
I honestly cannot understand why people aren't realising that the conservatives are the only hope of keeping the recovery going (in the short term) but more importantly keeping this country from falling apart.

SNP are going to win almost all Scottish seats without doubt and will have around 40/45 MP's, a very decent chunk that can make a racket. Labour are not going to win a majority...no chance so the only option if for a Labour/SNP deal, Also Ed Miliband is the most incompetent man i've come across in a while, could you imagine him trying to negotiate something with Putin, Obama or Merkel??? Sturgeon is going to have him wrapped around her finger.

So If you vote labour you are basically saying 'Lets give some people who want to break up the country, and only have an interest in 1/13th of the countries population a significant slice of power over the remaining 12/13th's'.

I know the Conservatives are not the most popular with everyone, but they are the only feasible way we can stop this madness that has seen 5 million people get so much more attention than the remaining 60 million.

Also a vote for UKIP will just let Labour in, this will in turn let the SNP in.
Also If you vote UKIP there will be NO chance of leaving Europe, however if there is a referendum then you will be able to do whatever you want then and you can only get a referendum with the conservatives.

So please, please just do the sensible thing.

I will vote UKIP simply to add a little purple to the mix in the House of Commons. I think Cameron will win whether there's a handful of UKIP seats or not---you're far too partisan in this. UKIPpers keep Cameron honest; under Cameron, the Tories aren't really Tories any more, but more like centrists with a slight classical-liberal bent.

That said, I'd rather have centrists with a slight classical-liberal bent than a Social Democratic party like Labour. You can bend a New Tory into shape, but a Labourite in the Ed Milliband tradition? Hell no.

Besides, there's been a good Tory minority government with Lib Dem... why not replace the Lib Dem fraction of the Tory coalition with UKIP? I think UKIP are better Tories than the Lib Dems or even the original Tories...
Original post by jto5792

Blair wasn't bad; then again, though, he was Blue Labour. New Labour was a centrist government that I wouldn't be ashamed to vote for at all. The party isn't like that anymore. Milliband is far "redder" than Blair. I don't want huge tax rises.

I liked Blair---I even liked Brown as chancellor, though he wasn't the best Prime Minister... but I don't like Ed Milliband (David was all right though) and I hate Ken Livingstone.
Yawn
Original post by jto5792
x

You still haven't yet said where you go this 20:1 figure from, it would put THE ABOLUTE LIMIT of spending on transport at what, about 1bn, and that would be if everywhere else is neglected entirely. My bull**** detectors are tingling even more now. Specific parts of the north I could very reasonably accept it, particularly for North East.

As for the aiports, you do realise that Heathrow alone makes up almost a third of our airport traffic? You do realise that throw Gatwick in too it's nearly a half, even closer with London City airport? Excluding the fact that they're in the East, not London (Gatwick might just slip into South East rather than London too) When you use all the "London" Airports they make up about 60% of the traffic with about 145m passengers?

Comapre that to the North, the biggest is Manchester at 22m (even Stanstead nearly out does this and Stanstead is ****). Next up is Newcastle at 4.5, Liverpool with 4, Leeds Bradforrd, 3.3, next is Doncaster Sheffield with only 725k, Humberside, 240k, Blackpool, 224k, Durham Tees Valley 143k and that's it for the top 40. ALL of the airports in the North combined have fewer passengers than Gatwick, let alone Heathrow. The North have about 15% of the UK passengers, less than a third of London alone, without including anything that is outside London (and even if we count Gatwick as outside London it's still only half). And by the sounds of it Manchester, if it's running at capacity, is only running at Terminal capacity, not runway capacity, and if it is running at terminal capacity how freaking small are those terminals?

Then on the metro: Newcastle, 2 lines; Manchester, 8 lines. Actually, according to the Wikipedia listing the only Metros in the UK are London Underground, DLR and Glasgow. Then London Undreground has 11 lines, serving 270 stations with 1.265bn riders p/a, Mewcastle metro, a measly 35.7m and 60 stations. And the DLR serves over 100m p/a. And the Manchester Metrolink serves even fewer than Newcastle Metro

So Yes, you have airports up there, but serving a third of the people, yes, you do have metros, but serving combined only two thirds the users of the DLR, and a twentieth of the London Underground users.
Because you care about the lifestyles of people in the country at large and recognise the struggles of the poorer sections of society, rather than just concerning yourself with preserving the wealth of already rich people.
Reply 17
The "Vote UKIP get Labour" line is interesting given that much of UKIP's base is made up of traditional Labour voters who wouldn't vote Tory in a million years. Also worth taking note of certain by-election results in this parliament; where UKIP surged Labour collasped (along with the Tories). In summary, UKIP is a party of protest in a similar vein to what the Lib Dems (irony there I know) were prior to their entering government.
I am voting for the Liberal Democrats for two reasons.

On principle, I think they want the deficit reduced but don't want to decimate vital public services and welfare in the process. The Tory front bench has maintained the pretence of being 'One Nation', and yet IDS is still heading Work and Pensions and removing the safety net for those genuinely not able to work, Grayling is still stamping on judicial review and obliterating legal aid, etc. etc. I don't believe the Tories give two hoots about maintaining a civilised social security framework and this has shown in their record.

Pragmatically, if there is to be another hung parliament I would like the Lib Dems to be in a strong enough position to be the obvious choice for coalition partners. They are an excellent moderating influence as their participation in this administration has demonstrated, and the alternatives - UKIP and the SNP - are as undesirable as each other.

That being said, if it's a choice between Labour and the Tories, I would prefer the latter.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ottom
The "Vote UKIP get Labour" line is interesting given that much of UKIP's base is made up of traditional Labour voters who wouldn't vote Tory in a million years. Also worth taking note of certain by-election results in this parliament; where UKIP surged Labour collasped (along with the Tories). In summary, UKIP is a party of protest in a similar vein to what the Lib Dems (irony there I know) were prior to their entering government.

Okay...so 10% constitutes "much", and clearly 10% is on par with 45%...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending