The Student Room Group

can somebody tell me how many marks i would get?

Hey, I was wondering if could tell me around how many marks i would get for a past paper question I answered for the 10 mark edexcel june 2013 1b)
Explain three criticisms of representative democracy

here is the mark scheme http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Government%20and%20Politics/2013/Exam%20materials/6GP01_01_msc_20130815.pdf

i answered:
One criticism of representative democracy is consent, for example in the UK we have general elections every 5 years unless a vote of no confidence succeeds and there has to be another general election, so although the people consented in the past, how do we know that they still consent? One case that underlines this is when Gordon Brown became prime minister it can be controversial because he did not face a general election as leader of the Labour party.
Another criticism of representative democracy is when there is no overall majority in parliament which is what happened in 2010 where there was a liberal democrat and conservative coalition and the principle of mandate and manifesto is compromised and the governing parties have to stick to a coalition agreement. The people did not consent to this so do they lose legitimacy?

Lastly, another criticism of representative democracy is that our elected representatives may claim to represent the public interest, but how do we know that they do? Such was the case when in 2001 the UK entered the Iraq war, it can be argued they were not representing the public interest after widespread protests.
(edited 9 years ago)
Clarity of expression is not necessarily perfect, but you demonstrate a sound level of knowledge.
Original post by Alex347_
Clarity of expression is not necessarily perfect, but you demonstrate a sound level of knowledge.

Keep in mind i only have around 9 minutes to answer that question and the fact it's only a 10 mark question, any idea how many marks I would get? and what would I have to do to get the full 10 marks
(edited 9 years ago)
I know that, you do have sufficient depth, I'm just saying your clarity is not necessarily perfect. You have good range of political vocabulary and a sufficient level of knowledge. It would definitely be no less than 8, and might be 10, but I'm not an examiner.
Original post by Alex347_
I know that, you do have sufficient depth, I'm just saying your clarity is not necessarily perfect. You have good range of political vocabulary and a sufficient level of knowledge. It would definitely be no less than 8, and might be 10, but I'm not an examiner.

Are you doing the same exam in June?
Reply 5
Hi buddies, if you are facing difficulty in attempting coursework, essay, dissertation or making a research proposal. You can avail our academic services, plenty of rewards and discount referring students to us. You can also join our CSR team and can earn handsome money. For further details add me on your gmail as serendiptya or on Skype as azeemiali.

Regards,

Dr. Norton,
AcademicSea

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending