The Student Room Group

Chemical Physics 2015 applicants

I can't find any threads for Chemical Physics! I can't be the only one who wants to do this degree.
My first choice is Sheffield (AAB) and my insurance is UEA with the same (although they offered me an unconditional upgrade if I made them first choice, so I assumed they'd be more lenient? )
Where are other chemphys applicants going? What are your offers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im already studying chemistry at uni, so if you have any questions let me know!

I really liked Sheffield on the open day, top uni and good choice! c:
Reply 2
Original post by Cobalt_

OMG YOUR NAME :five:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by sometimestigz
I can't find any threads for Chemical Physics! I can't be the only one who wants to do this degree.
My first choice is Sheffield (AAB) and my insurance is UEA with the same (although they offered me an unconditional upgrade if I made them first choice, so I assumed they'd be more lenient? )

I'll be applying to Chemical Physics 2016 :redface:
Where else did you apply to? And what are your A level subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

Hi there!

I've also firmed Sheffield for Chemical Physics!
My offer is also AAB, got offered at the interview :smile:
When was your open day? (mine was in February)
Reply 5

Oh check out this link to the Sheffield offer holders if you haven't already
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2983681&page=10&p=54891411&highlight=sheffield%20offer#post54891411
Reply 7
Original post by Cobalt_

Are you currently at Sheffield?
Reply 8
Original post by C0balt

We have the best TSR names c;
:five:
Reply 9
Original post by TheRAG
Are you currently at Sheffield?

No, just applied to sheffield.
Reply 10
Original post by Cobalt_
No, just applied to sheffield.

You say you're already studying chemistry at uni, are you transferring undergrads or beginning a masters or a phd?
Original post by TheRAG
You say you're already studying chemistry at uni, are you transferring undergrads or beginning a masters or a phd?

No no, i think im confusing you sorry.

I meant when i did apply (back in my alevel days) Sheffield was a very good uni.
Reply 12
Original post by Cobalt_
No no, i think im confusing you sorry.

I meant when i did apply (back in my alevel days) Sheffield was a very good uni.

Where are you studying now?
Original post by TheRAG
Where are you studying now?

PM'd.
Reply 14
Original post by Cobalt_

how does degree level chemistry compare with A level chemistry? (obviously harder, but other than that)
Original post by C0balt
how does degree level chemistry compare with A level chemistry? (obviously harder, but other than that)

A lot more fun imo.

It is so much harder but you really start seeing how the different types of chemistry and how they are different as well as how they link.

Physical: Ive enjoyed physical this year surprisingly. There is quite a bit of physics and maths involved in this but Its the most logical and very interesting imo. You go in depth into quantum mechanics which is interesting.
Organic: Prepare yourself for a lot of mechanisms! There is quite a lot but its good fun tbh. Not much to say about organic but you learn how mechanisms work and the theory behind it rather than just learning to draw arrows! You focus on the stability of molecules too which was very interesting to me.
Inorganic: Imo the hardest (close to physical), you start solid state chemistry and go indepth which p/d/s block chemistry aswell as crystal field theory which is interesting.

Everything is all interesting tbh. The best part is labs though!!!
Organic labs are so fun.
You get to plan out the mechanisms and the steps needed to create your desired product, its so fun. At my uni at least, they treat you like a independent chemist so you have a lot of responsibility when dealing with some crazy chemicals which is great to have.
The techniques you learn are really good and useful too.

Let me know if theres something you want me to talk in depth about.
But yeh, I probably repeated myself a lot but in short I cant say much more than its very interesting but hard work. I barely get free time but its worth it.
Reply 16
Original post by Cobalt_
A lot more fun imo.

It is so much harder but you really start seeing how the different types of chemistry and how they are different as well as how they link.

Physical: Ive enjoyed physical this year surprisingly. There is quite a bit of physics and maths involved in this but Its the most logical and very interesting imo. You go in depth into quantum mechanics which is interesting.
Organic: Prepare yourself for a lot of mechanisms! There is quite a lot but its good fun tbh. Not much to say about organic but you learn how mechanisms work and the theory behind it rather than just learning to draw arrows! You focus on the stability of molecules too which was very interesting to me.
Inorganic: Imo the hardest (close to physical), you start solid state chemistry and go indepth which p/d/s block chemistry aswell as crystal field theory which is interesting.

Everything is all interesting tbh. The best part is labs though!!!
Organic labs are so fun.
You get to plan out the mechanisms and the steps needed to create your desired product, its so fun. At my uni at least, they treat you like a independent chemist so you have a lot of responsibility when dealing with some crazy chemicals which is great to have.
The techniques you learn are really good and useful too.

Let me know if theres something you want me to talk in depth about.
But yeh, I probably repeated myself a lot but in short I cant say much more than its very interesting but hard work. I barely get free time but its worth it.

I love physical chemistry already, and I am planning to apply for chemical physics so I'm looking forward :redface:
I'm not that into organic in my AS chemistry, but I would love to learn the theory behind it. A shame I wouldn't learn much organic after first year in majority of chemical physics degree but I'm not willing to give physics up for pure chemistry so I need to compromise I guess :dontknow:
Can you go into more depth about inorganic? It's very simple at AS and I don't know much about it tbh

Lab sounds quite cool, hopefully I'll do something similar during my chemistry Head start and my work experience :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
I love physical chemistry already, and I am planning to apply for chemical physics so I'm looking forward :redface:
I'm not that into organic in my AS chemistry, but I would love to learn the theory behind it. A shame I wouldn't learn much organic after first year in majority of chemical physics degree but I'm not willing to give physics up for pure chemistry so I need to compromise I guess :dontknow:
Can you go into more depth about inorganic? It's very simple at AS and I don't know much about it tbh

Lab sounds quite cool, hopefully I'll do something similar during my chemistry Head start and my work experience :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of Inorganic:
You start learning about MO theory which is a theory based on orbital overlaps between molecules.
You get to start learning about why S/P block elements behave why they do
You go in depth with D block chemistry too! Learning about ligand interaction, how ligands interact with TS metals. This is the basis of crystal field theory.
Speaking about ligands you also go very depth with the chelate effect, and relate it to entropy.
Reply 18
Original post by Cobalt_
In terms of Inorganic:
You start learning about MO theory which is a theory based on orbital overlaps between molecules.
You get to start learning about why S/P block elements behave why they do
You go in depth with D block chemistry too! Learning about ligand interaction, how ligands interact with TS metals. This is the basis of crystal field theory.
Speaking about ligands you also go very depth with the chelate effect, and relate it to entropy.

I was gonna do an EPQ on MO theory, but couldn't come up with a suitable question before my deadline so oh well :dontknow:
That sounds really exciting, in AS we pretty much ignore the existence of d orbital or f orbital, and never heard of crystal field theory!!:yes:
Never come across chelate stuff either, I'm so looking forward to A2 and uni :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
I was gonna do an EPQ on MO theory, but couldn't come up with a suitable question before my deadline so oh well :dontknow:
That sounds really exciting, in AS we pretty much ignore the existence of d orbital or f orbital, and never heard of crystal field theory!!:yes:
Never come across chelate stuff either, I'm so looking forward to A2 and uni :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will learn a bit about chelate effect at a2 but yeh its fairly interesting!

Good luck with your application, let me know if you have any more questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending