The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

University of Exeter

I want to study a Bsc Economics degree in England. One of my options was Exeter, but I was looking at the Guardian University Guide for Economics and Exeter was number 33 in the list, but on another list it's number 10. So I'm confused.

Is it a good university for Economics? Does it have a good reputation for this subject?

Scroll to see replies

I would say it's pretty good for Economics, certainly nowhere near as low as 33. I would put it 2nd tier (so below Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick) along with places like Bristol and Bath, and I believe this is also how employers view it.

Honestly, league tables aren't always the most accurate, and from a quick look at the Guardian's, it looks fairly ridiculous. I wouldn't look at that list too much. They have Queen Marys at 4 and LSE at equal 6th with Surrey...
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by octopauly
I would say it's pretty good for Economics, certainly nowhere near as low as 33. I would put it 2nd tier (so below Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick) along with places like Bristol and Bath, and I believe this is also how employers view it.

Honestly, league tables aren't always the most accurate, and from a quick look at the Guardian's, it looks fairly ridiculous. I wouldn't look at that list too much. They have Queen Marys at 4 and LSE at equal 6th with Surrey...

Thanks! Exeter being in number 33 was a bit strange, because of its good reputation.

Also, you mentioned Bath, but a uni student from England told me that Bath wasn't a very good university. Is it good for Economics though? I would say that UEA or Leeds are better for this course. What do you think?
I'm at Exeter for economics, I'm just finishing my first year. It's the only Russell Group University to offer Economics without having maths as a pre-req so for me it was perfect. The lecturers are all good, the course is very thorough, and there are a lot of really fantastic opportunities here as well as an incredible careers team.

I agree that it is second tier- not Oxbridge but certainly spillover. We have a lot of international students, as it is really an excellent university. We are first for student satisfaction according to UCAS and we are tenth in the UK (as mentioned).

I particularly like how thorough the course is. We do macro and micro, but we also do history of economics and statistics in our first term, and we do maths for economists in the second term which is very useful as the course is very heavily maths based in every module. (There is plenty of help with maths - I didn't do a-level maths but I'm managing well.) Lots of universities don't offer the history, and many less academic universities don't do much maths, which is essential for research and post-grad.

Exeter is also based 20 minutes from the city centre, and half an hour from the Quayside, it's a small city near the seaside, and has a really comfortable feel. There's no pressure to drink or go clubbing, but there is plenty of chances to if you want. There's lots of good shops- from high end (think House of Fraser and L'occitane) to your standard discount shops, and supermarkets galore.

I would certainly recommend it, and I know that lots of people are very happy here. Certainly there's advantages and disadvantages to every university, but I think Exeter is easily one of the best.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EruditeEcon
I'm at Exeter for economics, I'm just finishing my first year. It's the only Russell Group University to offer Economics without having maths as a pre-req so for me it was perfect. The lecturers are all good, the course is very thorough, and there are a lot of really fantastic opportunities here as well as an incredible careers team.

I agree that it is second tier- not Oxbridge but certainly spillover. We have a lot of international students, as it is really an excellent university. We are first for student satisfaction according to UCAS and we are tenth in the UK (as mentioned).

I particularly like how thorough the course is. We do macro and micro, but we also do history of economics and statistics in our first term, and we do maths for economists in the second term which is very useful as the course is very heavily maths based in every module. (There is plenty of help with maths - I didn't do a-level maths but I'm managing well.) Lots of universities don't offer the history, and many less academic universities don't do much maths, which is essential for research and post-grad.

Exeter is also based 20 minutes from the city centre, and half an hour from the Quayside, it's a small city near the seaside, and has a really comfortable feel. There's no pressure to drink or go clubbing, but there is plenty of chances to if you want. There's lots of good shops- from high end (think House of Fraser and L'occitane) to your standard discount shops, and supermarkets galore.

I would certainly recommend it, and I know that lots of people are very happy here. Certainly there's advantages and disadvantages to every university, but I think Exeter is easily one of the best.

Oh I see. So the course is very maths based but it doesnt have maths as a pre-req? And I'm guessing maths is not extremely hard?
Was Exeter your first option?
Very much so. It definitely sets you up for further study. The maths is pretty much a-level and its use for economics and an extension of alevel for the first year but then it becomes considerably more challenging from what I know. It's integration, differentiation, matrices, uni and multi variate functions etc.

Exeter was my first choice for economics but I did also apply for PPE at Oxford as my first choice. I got 4 As at A-level but was expected to get two A*, due to serious health reasons I didn't.
However I think the course here is suitably challenging- you can make it as difficult for yourself as you like, the lecturers are more than happy to give you extensions if you wish, or help if you need.
Reply 6
To the people studying at St Luke's, the ones that go by car, where do you guys park? And what options are there?
Very much so. It definitely sets you up for further study. The maths is pretty much a-level and its use for economics and an extension of alevel for the first year but then it becomes considerably more challenging from what I know. It's integration, differentiation, matrices, uni and multi variate functions etc.

Exeter was my first choice for economics but I did also apply for PPE at Oxford as my first choice. I got 4 As at A-level but was expected to get two A*, due to serious health reasons I didn't.
However I think the course here is suitably challenging- you can make it as difficult for yourself as you like, the lecturers are more than happy to give you extensions if you wish, or help if you need.

Alright then. In Spain, I have at the moment a 9 in Maths, wich I think it would be an A in A-levels. Also, I've got a 9.35 per cent overall (only at the moment). Would that be enought to get in?
it sounds like you're very academic, but I would convert your grades into UCAS points and see how you compare. For the intake year this year (2014/2015) there were 6 applications per place which gives you an idea of how competitive it is.
it sounds like you're very academic, but I would convert your grades into UCAS points and see how you compare. For the intake year this year (2014/2015) there were 6 applications per place which gives you an idea of how competitive it is.

Not available for Spanish Bachillerato though. Anyway, thanks for all the info. It does seem very competitive, but I think I can make it. By the way, what other unis did you apply for? Because I have to decide soon, I would like to now what an economics student chose.
I chose Warwick and Oxford for Politics Philosophy and Economics (PPE) and Exeter for economics. My insurance choice was Royal Holloway for economics, however that was just in case I really mess up my exams.
I would recommend looking at Warwick, Durham, St.Andrews, Loughborough, LSE, UCL as some excellent universities but look at The Times University League Tables and UCAS website for other good universities.

Further advice would be look at employability, the surrounding area (shops, libraries, facilities etc), general satisfaction and modules/topics.
I chose Warwick and Oxford for Politics Philosophy and Economics (PPE) and Exeter for economics. My insurance choice was Royal Holloway for economics, however that was just in case I really mess up my exams.
I would recommend looking at Warwick, Durham, St.Andrews, Loughborough, LSE, UCL as some excellent universities but look at The Times University League Tables and UCAS website for other good universities.

Further advice would be look at employability, the surrounding area (shops, libraries, facilities etc), general satisfaction and modules/topics.

Durham only offers a BA, which I don't think I'm interested in. What do you think about UEA, I heard it was really good for Economics. And Leeds?
Reply 12
Original post by TheEconomist101
Durham only offers a BA, which I don't think I'm interested in. What do you think about UEA, I heard it was really good for Economics. And Leeds?

Leeds is regarded as a very good uni, so their requirements can be quite high but might worth giving it a shot. If I were you, I would pick 3 top unis and 2 lower ones, as a safety net.
UEA I've not heard much about, and Leeds was one I did consider applying to, but it does really depend on what you're looking for in a university (City/countryside, academic requirements, large/small etc) so I'd weigh up what's important to you and use that as well as academic standing
Reply 14
By the way, I am living in Leeds atm, and it's not that bad compared to Manchester for example. I didn't really like it, I'd rather have smaller cities (like Exeter) and now I'm very happy to be able to return there and study. Like @Erudite says, you have to take into account quite a few stuff before really deciding. Goodluck! :wink:
UEA I've not heard much about, and Leeds was one I did consider applying to, but it does really depend on what you're looking for in a university (City/countryside, academic requirements, large/small etc) so I'd weigh up what's important to you and use that as well as academic standing

I thought that UEA's Econonomics department was quite good. I already know what sort of place I want to go, just need to decide wich uni to go instead of another. E.g UEA or another one
Original post by alecksys
By the way, I am living in Leeds atm, and it's not that bad compared to Manchester for example. I didn't really like it, I'd rather have smaller cities (like Exeter) and now I'm very happy to be able to return there and study. Like @Erudite says, you have to take into account quite a few stuff before really deciding. Goodluck! :wink:

Thanks. I know that I want to go to a uni with campus, fairly small-medium town. Is it true that many people choose Leeds because of its atmosphere and parties?
I wouldn't worry about Durham offering only BA. It's better ranked than Exeter up there with UCL and Warwick for me. I would look at York, similar in reputation and sort of place to Exeter and slightly lower entry requirements

About 80% of applicants receive offers so it's really not that competitive tbh
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-exeter-e84/economics-3-years-9000-l100-27901

It was 12th in the UK for its UCAS points though, so it attracts very capable students - have you thought about Scottish universities? Edinburgh and Glasgow have similar entry standards with Bath & Bristol just above it
Original post by Flather
I wouldn't worry about Durham offering only BA. It's better ranked than Exeter up there with UCL and Warwick for me. I would look at York, similar in reputation and sort of place to Exeter and slightly lower entry requirements

Durham really isn't particularly good for Economics, not as good as Exeter let alone Warwick

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending