The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

University of Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey,i am a candidate retaking a levels and in my retake year i got AAB. My GCSEs are average as i only got 2As 2Bs 4Cs and 1D. Do you think that Exeter would rule me out since i am a retaking candidate? Also on a side note do you think i would be ruled out because of my GCSEs. I have searched and i do make the minimum entry requirements. My As were in English Lit & English lang. My Bs in German and geography and my Cs in all 3 sciences and maths. My D was in history. Also do you know anybody in Exeter who has retaken their first year of A levels? Its just that i want to make sure i dont waste an application. Im looking to do politics though not econ like you do but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Original post by EruditeEcon
I'm at Exeter for economics, I'm just finishing my first year. It's the only Russell Group University to offer Economics without having maths as a pre-req so for me it was perfect. The lecturers are all good, the course is very thorough, and there are a lot of really fantastic opportunities here as well as an incredible careers team.

I agree that it is second tier- not Oxbridge but certainly spillover. We have a lot of international students, as it is really an excellent university. We are first for student satisfaction according to UCAS and we are tenth in the UK (as mentioned).

I particularly like how thorough the course is. We do macro and micro, but we also do history of economics and statistics in our first term, and we do maths for economists in the second term which is very useful as the course is very heavily maths based in every module. (There is plenty of help with maths - I didn't do a-level maths but I'm managing well.) Lots of universities don't offer the history, and many less academic universities don't do much maths, which is essential for research and post-grad.

Exeter is also based 20 minutes from the city centre, and half an hour from the Quayside, it's a small city near the seaside, and has a really comfortable feel. There's no pressure to drink or go clubbing, but there is plenty of chances to if you want. There's lots of good shops- from high end (think House of Fraser and L'occitane) to your standard discount shops, and supermarkets galore.

I would certainly recommend it, and I know that lots of people are very happy here. Certainly there's advantages and disadvantages to every university, but I think Exeter is easily one of the best.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending