The Student Room Group

GCSE Computing OCR

I am currently revising for GCSE Computing (exam board is OCR) and is there anyone who is able to post some revision websites/ guides?
Thanks if you do :smile:

Scroll to see replies

It's going great thank you! How's yours?
I have the book and I have been researching on that website.
Thanks a lot though! :smile:
Reply 3
I find the Cambridge computing website quite useful- even though the videos are boring. What I would say is to do all three past papers in our spec. Oh and make sure you know algorithms and binary/hex conversions as I think they Are guaranteed to come up and every time you do a topic learn it how you would for every 6 marker so you are always prepared. Never what they might chuck into that exam.
Reply 4
Original post by AnaDiamandis
It's going great thank you! How's yours?
I have the book and I have been researching on that website.
Thanks a lot though! :smile:

No problem:smile: My revisions going ok.. Just feeling a bit stressed out trying to finish all my coursework and I started revising a bit late :bawling::bawling:

Anyway what other subjects are you doing?
Original post by aamirac
I find the Cambridge computing website quite useful- even though the videos are boring. What I would say is to do all three past papers in our spec. Oh and make sure you know algorithms and binary/hex conversions as I think they Are guaranteed to come up and every time you do a topic learn it how you would for every 6 marker so you are always prepared. Never what they might chuck into that exam.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
A2 computing student here. Feel free to ask me any questions if you need help. :h:
Reply 7
Original post by 8472
A2 computing student here. Feel free to ask me any questions if you need help. :h:

Aw, I wish I could do a level computing but no one in my area offers it. How do you approach the algorithm questions..it's not that I don't know what to do. It's the 'what do I do as soon as I see the exam paper' kinda thing. I take ages doing one.. Is there any tactics in doing them in exams
Reply 8
Original post by aamirac
Aw, I wish I could do a level computing but no one in my area offers it. How do you approach the algorithm questions..it's not that I don't know what to do. It's the 'what do I do as soon as I see the exam paper' kinda thing. I take ages doing one.. Is there any tactics in doing them in exams

You mean a question such as this?
http://i.imgur.com/MJ6XZg1.png
Reply 9
Yes, like these ones
I've done the ones from past papers (there's only a few) at school with my teacher
So now I don't know what to do. I think I need more examples. Hm
Reply 10
Original post by aamirac
Yes, like these ones
I've done the ones from past papers (there's only a few) at school with my teacher
So now I don't know what to do. I think I need more examples. Hm

Sorry for slow reply. Didn't see you had replied as you hadn't quoted. :h:

I'd think about the variables you need. In this case what does a triangle have... 3 sides. So you'd need a variable for each side. You'd also need a counter for amount of sides which are equal. Take the side inputs at the start

Side1 = Input "Enter side 1"
Side2 = Input "Enter side 2"
Side3 = Input "Enter side 3"

Then look at what the question asks you to do. Find out if the triangle entered is isosceles. This means you need to compare the entered side lengths and see if they are equal. You could either do that by writing out each comparison statement or using clever loops. We'll go with long list of statements as it is actually easier for this.

You'd need to compare the following sides
1-2
1-3
2-3

But it is no good comparing them unless you get an output from the comparison. IE if they are equal you want some sort of counter to increment so that when you're done with comparisons you have a total amount of sides which are equal. At the start of the algorithm set it to 0.

I'd use something like this:

If Side1 = Side2 then
Counter = Counter + 1
End If

If Side1 = Side3 then
Counter = Counter + 1
End If

If Side2 = Side3 then
Counter = Counter + 1
End If

You'd then end up with a number stored in the counter saying how many sides were equal. Check to see what this is and you'll find out if the triangle is isosceles. No sides equal or all sides equal will mean it isn't. 1 pair equal means it is.

If Counter = 1 then
Output "isosceles"
Else
Output "Not isosceles"

That should work. Don't forget start subroutine and end subroutine bits.

Spoiler

Original post by 8472
Sorry for slow reply. Didn't see you had replied as you hadn't quoted. :h:

I'd think about the variables you need. In this case what does a triangle have... 3 sides. So you'd need a variable for each side. You'd also need a counter for amount of sides which are equal. Take the side inputs at the start

Side1 = Input "Enter side 1"
Side2 = Input "Enter side 2"
Side3 = Input "Enter side 3"

Then look at what the question asks you to do. Find out if the triangle entered is isosceles. This means you need to compare the entered side lengths and see if they are equal. You could either do that by writing out each comparison statement or using clever loops. We'll go with long list of statements as it is actually easier for this.

You'd need to compare the following sides
1-2
1-3
2-3

But it is no good comparing them unless you get an output from the comparison. IE if they are equal you want some sort of counter to increment so that when you're done with comparisons you have a total amount of sides which are equal. At the start of the algorithm set it to 0.

I'd use something like this:

If Side1 = Side2 then
Counter = Counter + 1
End If

If Side1 = Side3 then
Counter = Counter + 1
End If

If Side2 = Side3 then
Counter = Counter + 1
End If

You'd then end up with a number stored in the counter saying how many sides were equal. Check to see what this is and you'll find out if the triangle is isosceles. No sides equal or all sides equal will mean it isn't. 1 pair equal means it is.

If Counter = 1 then
Output "isosceles"
Else
Output "Not isosceles"

That should work. Don't forget start subroutine and end subroutine bits.

Spoiler

Thank you, much appreciated... Better than my teacher explaining it :h: :bigsmile:
Reply 12
Original post by aamirac
Thank you, much appreciated... Better than my teacher explaining it :h: :bigsmile:

Yay~ :h: Anything else you'd like explaining?

Spoiler

Original post by 8472
Yay~ :h: Anything else you'd like explaining?

Spoiler

Uurm the whole syllabus would be nice. Lol.
:colondollar:
No I'm fine with everything else. Thanks for the offer though! :biggrin:
Are we allowed to bring calculators into this exam?
Original post by Sanderm1
Are we allowed to bring calculators into this exam?

Nope, those binary to hex to denary conversions have to be done without it
Original post by DiShah
No problem:smile: My revisions going ok.. Just feeling a bit stressed out trying to finish all my coursework and I started revising a bit late :bawling::bawling:

Anyway what other subjects are you doing?

Geography, Business and Spanish, I revised quite early and I have quite a lot of cue cards. I've finished my coursework too, are you doing Python? What other subjects are you doing?
Original post by aamirac

Thanks! I've done most of the past papers and looked at their specification and highlighted the ones in green which I know
Original post by aamirac
Uurm the whole syllabus would be nice. Lol.
:colondollar:
No I'm fine with everything else. Thanks for the offer though! :biggrin:

When is your exam? Mine's on the 3rd of June :K:
Original post by AnaDiamandis
When is your exam? Mine's on the 3rd of June :K:

Same here :h:.
I'm going to die that day I have geography natural that day too :colondollar:. I dunno exams are a blur

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending