The Student Room Group

At uni but can't afford a laptop. Any advice

My laptop broke last week. At the moment I'm in a pretty Dire financial situation and my baby and I are really struggling. i don't have any support network. We are completely alone.

I dont know how I will cope withouy a laptop. I have a 4000 word essay to write and then three 3000 word ones between now and January.

I have my son in nursery on Thursday and Friday for a few hours so this is my only opportunity to get work done so in wondering if this will be enough? He is in nursery 9-4 and it takes about 45 mins to get from mine to uni when you factor in walking to and from the train station.

I'm so nervous now.

I have lost my 4000 word essay draft aswell.

any advice is appreciated.
Original post by Mezza362
My laptop broke last week. At the moment I'm in a pretty Dire financial situation and my baby and I are really struggling. i don't have any support network. We are completely alone.

I dont know how I will cope withouy a laptop. I have a 4000 word essay to write and then three 3000 word ones between now and January.

I have my son in nursery on Thursday and Friday for a few hours so this is my only opportunity to get work done so in wondering if this will be enough? He is in nursery 9-4 and it takes about 45 mins to get from mine to uni when you factor in walking to and from the train station.

I'm so nervous now.

I have lost my 4000 word essay draft aswell.

any advice is appreciated.

Ask if you can borrow one from the university. They may be sympathetic, I would think/hope.
Reply 2
I have asked thinking there may be a scheme where you can hire one for a fee. I have ebough for a small weekly amount of no more than £10 but they don't offer this.

i need the laptop as I do a lot of my work when my baby is having his afternoon nap or once he's gone to bed. Without a laptop I'm restricted to the hours he is in nursery.

i managed to pass with distinction in my first year without any internet but I didn't have a baby then.

Somirne ne told me about the access to learning fund but a laptop isn't a necessity so doubt I would get any money
1. How is it broke?
2. You can recover files from the hard drive.
Reply 4
See if you can get a cheap one off ebay; it may not be the best thing ever, but it'll work. Iirc, there are computers going for £50-100. If that's not possible, try seeing if friends have an old one you can borrow until you can replace yours. Good luck :smile:
Go to a local library and they'll usually let you loan one just like with a book usually with no charge. They also let you buy laptops at reduced prices if you loan them out for a long period. Check any student bursaries or benefits. Ask a friend to borrow theres until you can afford one. Get the microsoft apps on your phone if you can. Ask at local community centres - they will usually help out especially if you explain the circumstances. Use the library and try to do work in set hours e.g. when your baby is at nursery.
Reply 6
After I wrote this post another TSR member sent me an iMac in the post! They said they had an old pc that they didn't need anymore. When I got the parcel it was an iMac from 2011. I was crying in my room for ages. So kind and so unexpected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending