The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by The Reasoner
Finally someone who sees sense. This is why open marriage is the only way to go. Either that or stay single and enjoy your freedom for the rest of your life, i'm choosing the latter and I know a lot of men who are doing the same. Better than being in a sexless marriage with someone who resents you and decides to cheat or divorce you once they're bored of being married. :smile:

I don't think it follows that open marriage is the only way to go. If people are marrying for romantic purposes, then the idea of an open marriage may not be so palatable.
The first paragraph is very interesting. But I just couldn't read the rest :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miser
I don't think it follows that open marriage is the only way to go. If people are marrying for romantic purposes, then the idea of an open marriage may not be so palatable.

Perhaps but the alternative doesn't seem too appealing does it?

Also take a look at reddit dead bedrooms and see the amount of topics from frustrated husbands in comparison to frustrated wives, at least 90% of the topics in there are of husbands complaining that their wives no longer enjoy sex. Most of the time it's after the children are born. Coincidence I think not.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DeadBedrooms
Great, more thinly veiled misogyny. Do you honestly expect people to read all that?
Reply 24
TL: DR.
If women want a 'beta bucks' guy to marry, what makes you think they'll be happy in an open marriage? Plus I'm pretty sure you'll find that one girl who makes your heart skip a beat and want to marry her. Ypou might disgaree now but it happened to Barney in HIMYM (ik it's a tv show but still :rolleyes:)
Finally someone who sees sense. This is why open marriage is the only way to go. Either that or stay single and enjoy your freedom for the rest of your life, i'm choosing the latter and I know a lot of men who are doing the same. Better than being in a sexless marriage with someone who resents you and decides to cheat or divorce you once they're bored of being married. :smile:

Unfortunately, your right for the most part. The main reason why marriages in the 21st century is in an bad state (50-60 divorce rate in the UK and US) is because of cultural and technological changes that occurred since the late 60s. Let not kid our selfs, the next generation (Millennials http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials) will be in an worse state than the present baby boomer and Generation X demographics (that's unless your from an conservative ethnic background where arranged marriage is common).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Synapsida
Unfortunately, your right for the most part. The main reason why marriages in the 21st century is in an bad state (50-60 divorce rate in the UK and US) is because of cultural and technological changes that occurred since the late 60s. Let not kid our selfs, the next generation (Millennials http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials) will be in an worse state than the present baby boomer and Generation X demographics (that's unless your from an conservative ethnic background where arranged marriage is common).

So true, theres far more opportunity now for women to cheat and of course have extra marital affairs in the workplace. It's to the detriment of men, couple that with the biased divorce laws in womens favour than you're left wondering what is the point in men in this day and age getting married? You'll just be left in a sexless marriage with a wife who resents you and every little thing you do (believe me i've heard a lot of men talk about this, how their wives resent every little thing they do, they are basically bullied by their wives) she'll then justify in her head cheating on you with other men with no sense of remorse or care for your feelings and eventually divorce you when she finds someone new and exciting. Is that really what men want? Sounds like a living nightmare to me, one I don't intend on living!
Original post by Rovey
Marriage is soo hyped, i think we'd have longer lasting relationships on average if marriage didn't exist.

I don't know anyone that has stayed married except from people from a culture where it is of great importance to stay married. But even their marriage was ****ed with affairs and lies.
Original post by Déscartés
If women want a 'beta bucks' guy to marry, what makes you think they'll be happy in an open marriage? Plus I'm pretty sure you'll find that one girl who makes your heart skip a beat and want to marry her. Ypou might disgaree now but it happened to Barney in HIMYM (ik it's a tv show but still :rolleyes:)

I'm not saying they'll be happier, but it's a much better alternative than a sexless marriage with a resentful wife. Also i'm sure that goes for the vast majority of men, they all want to meet that one special someone who makes their heart skip a beat and share their lives with, which is unfortunate because women don't feel the same way. Time you opened up your eyes mate.
So true, theres far more opportunity now for women to cheat and of course have extra marital affairs in the workplace. It's to the detriment of men, couple that with the biased divorce laws in womens favour than you're left wondering what is the point in men in this day and age getting married? You'll just be left in a sexless marriage with a wife who resents you and every little thing you do (believe me i've heard a lot of men talk about this, how their wives resent every little thing they do, they are basically bullied by their wives) she'll then justify in her head cheating on you with other men with no sense of remorse or care for your feelings and eventually divorce you when she finds someone new and exciting. Is that really what men want? Sounds like a living nightmare to me, one I don't intend on living!

You know those jokes people always tell about how they despise their husbands and wives e.g. I brought a girl home just like my mum and my dad hated her etc. Those jokes to me just show a deeper truth that most married people are unhappy and settling for a life they feel expected to lead. Most people feel they need to get married one day and have a family to feel complete but I think real happiness is about finding what you actually want from life, not what other people expect you to want.
Original post by banoffeee
I don't know anyone that has stayed married except from people from a culture where it is of great importance to stay married. But even their marriage was ****ed with affairs and lies.

Ironically the only successful marriages you hear about are those in Polygamous marriages, i.e Islam. If Polygamy was legalized in the West and men could choose to have more than one wife we would see a huge increase in successful, long lasting and fulfilling marriages.
Ironically the only successful marriages you hear about are those in Polygamous marriages, i.e Islam. If Polygamy was legalized in the West and men could choose to have more than one wife we would see a huge increase in successful, long lasting and fulfilling marriages.

Oh right so men should be allowed to have many wives but women can't have many husbands ?
You know those jokes people always tell about how they despise their husbands and wives e.g. I brought a girl home just like my mum and my dad hated her etc. Those jokes to me just show a deeper truth that most married people are unhappy and settling for a life they feel expected to lead. Most people feel they need to get married one day and have a family to feel complete but I think real happiness is about finding what you actually want from life, not what other people expect you to want.

You have a very strong mindset and I feel the same way. Unfortunately most people need to find happiness or "completeness" by being with the opposite sex and relying on them to fulfill all their needs. I don't need a woman to be happy, rather i'm much happier by myself because I don't rely on others for happiness, if there's one thing i've learnt about the opposite sex in my 21 years it's that they only serve to let you down and break your heart. Do you really want that? Do you need that? I've never been cheated on neither i'm going on other peoples experiences and studying how women behave and interact when they're in relationships.
You have a very strong mindset and I feel the same way. Unfortunately most people need to find happiness or "completeness" by being with the opposite sex and relying on them to fulfill all their needs. I don't need a woman to be happy, rather i'm much happier by myself because I don't rely on others for happiness, if there's one thing i've learnt about the opposite sex in my 21 years it's that they only serve to let you down and break your heart. Do you really want that? Do you need that? I've never been cheated on neither i'm going on other peoples experiences and studying how women behave and interact when they're in relationships.

Yeah well I've been cheated on several times by both men and women and I've never really seen a relationship where both people are truly happy. It is rare. But don't think only women cheat because trust me men do too.
I think most relationships are a farce anyway, they can be fun if you take romantic interactions in the moment and don't get attached but the notion of a true love with absolute loyalty is one I have never either witnessed or personally experienced.
Yeah well I've been cheated on several times by both men and women and I've never really seen a relationship where both people are truly happy. It is rare. But don't think only women cheat because trust me men do too.
I think most relationships are a farce anyway, they can be fun if you take romantic interactions in the moment and don't get attached but the notion of a true love with absolute loyalty is one I have never either witnessed or personally experienced.

You are a realist I like that, I agree 100%. Unfortunately most people grow up with a fairytale notion and expect to live an eternal life of happiness and die with the one person they love. That sounds great in your head but in the real world in this day and age it's impossible, it's time people realised this and considered open relationships or living a single life, real love with a woman just doesn't exist.
OP, I suggest you expand your horizons beyond reddit.

That place is a real haven for the lonely and bitter.
You are a realist I like that, I agree 100%. Unfortunately most people grow up with a fairytale notion and expect to live an eternal life of happiness and die with the one person they love. That sounds great in your head but in the real world in this day and age it's impossible, it's time people realised this and considered open relationships or living a single life, real love with a woman just doesn't exist.

It's not just women who make it go wrong though, trust me.
It's not just women who make it go wrong though, trust me.

In my experience the majority of the time it is women who tend to ruin relationships, most men are just happy to settle with someone they love but women not so much. That's why I try to encourage men to seek open relationships or live a single life, you'll be a lot happier and a lot healther and a lot richer in the long run believe me!
Read it and you'll understand the truth behind women and marriage. It's not worth any man getting married, once a woman marries she loses interest in sex, she slowly starts to detest the man she's with and longs for the days she was sexually free and wild and having sex with as many alphas as she could. That's why most marriages end in divorce. Have a great life if that's the path you choose, i'm going MGTOW.

Where is the empirical evidence supporting your claims?

Latest

Trending

Trending