The Student Room Group

A paid internship with an unknown organization or an unpaid one with the U.N. ?

Scroll to see replies

If I was in your position I would jump at the chance to put an internship at the UN on my CV, and I would imagine employers would view that very well when applying for jobs in the future. Also just because you cant immediately get a job there doesn't mean you can't in the future (and a successful internship there would obviously help that) and not EXPECTING a position afterwards doesn't mean it isn't possible to get one at all. Great opportunity, good experience, looks good on CV etc, go for it I say
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
What's your point here? That you didn't convert a prestigious unpaid internship into something, so therefore OP shouldn't try?

There's really no point in interning somewhere for the money. Having the UN on OP's CV will be infinitely better than an unnamed internship elsewhere. The point of an internship is for the experience, and what that experience can enable.

Look an experience is an experience. Doesn't matter where OP does it. As I said name means nothing from what I've seen in my own personal experience and that of others. The money helps a hell of a lot when few months down the line and OP is struggling with his/her savings. Especially if it's in London or somewhere similar.

As for converting that internship into something, I think a lot of graduates would find it offensive (I know a fair few apart from myself) since it's not from the lack of trying. But hey go ahead and don't believe me. As I said I thought the same before, experience changed all that.

End of the day I think OP should be practical. If UN has more advantage and not just 'prestige' then go for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by donutaud15
I had a 'prestigious' unpaid internship few years back and at that time I thought it would all be worth it because of the brand name. Fast forward to graduation and I found out that the internship meant nothing and did not really help me gain employment.

What's your line of work and where's the place that you went to?
Original post by kka25
What's your line of work and where's the place that you went to?

My (hopefully) line of work is different now but then I wanted to go into media, journalism in particular. The place is a well respected news paper. I don't want to get into specifics though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never, ever work for free. I don't care if it's for Goldman Sachs or the newsagent down the road - they can pay you for your time. If they won't, don't bother.
Original post by voiceofreason234
Never, ever work for free. I don't care if it's for Goldman Sachs or the newsagent down the road - they can pay you for your time. If they won't, don't bother.

It's all about focusing on the long term not just short term gains.

Yes, in the short term you'll get money but in the LT the UN will be far better for your career and job prospects
Original post by voiceofreason234

Worst advice I've ever seen. You're being paid with absolutely invaluable experience. That's worth far more than money in getting the job you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending