The Student Room Group

Pros and Cons of MORSE?

Hi everyone,

I am doing AS Levels at the moment (Maths, F. Maths, French, Chemistry) and I want to do a Maths based degree. I don't really know what I want to do after uni. I have heard that straight Maths degrees are very proof oriented and this is an area which doesn't really interest me so I have been looking at MMORSE at Warwick. Could someone who is studying/has studied MORSE answer the following questions please?

Will doing MORSE take away any career options as compared to Maths?

How significant is the economics content in MORSE and what does it entail? (I don't have economics experience and I also don't enjoy writing essays, is there much of this?)

Are there any other particular pros and cons of doing MORSE vs doing Maths?

Thank you!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mhamill864
Hi everyone,

I am doing AS Levels at the moment (Maths, F. Maths, French, Chemistry) and I want to do a Maths based degree. I don't really know what I want to do after uni. I have heard that straight Maths degrees are very pure oriented and this is an area which doesn't really interest me so I have been looking at MMORSE at Warwick. Could someone who is studying/has studied MORSE answer the following questions please?

Will doing MORSE take away any career options as compared to Maths?

How significant is the economics content in MORSE and what does it entail? (I don't have economics experience and I also don't enjoy writing essays, is there much of this?)

Are there any other particular pros and cons of doing MORSE vs doing Maths?

Thank you!!

I'm not currently studying it but will be next year (if I get the grades)! It is run by the statistics department and so much more different to straight maths than initially thought. MORSE therefore will most likely lead to different professions due to the high statistics content (even though there is much more flexibility). There is only one/a couple of compulsory economics modules which build from the ground up (many won't have studied economics) but there are essays, don't know how much. I believe they are different degrees and must chose upon your preferences. They are both very reputed and Warwick is a top university. Any more Q's just ask but my info won't be good as a real UG! :P
Reply 2
Original post by rugbybeast
I'm not currently studying it but will be next year (if I get the grades)! It is run by the statistics department and so much more different to straight maths than initially thought. MORSE therefore will most likely lead to different professions due to the high statistics content (even though there is much more flexibility). There is only one/a couple of compulsory economics modules which build from the ground up (many won't have studied economics) but there are essays, don't know how much. I believe they are different degrees and must chose upon your preferences. They are both very reputed and Warwick is a top university. Any more Q's just ask but my info won't be good as a real UG! :P

Quick Reply

Latest