The Student Room Group

OCR English Literature (AS 15th May 2015 Exam Thread)

Hi!
I can't seem to find anyone doing AS English Lit on OCR, so thought I would make a thread.

How are you managing to learn all the quotes for the closed book exam?
What texts are you doing? Is anyone doing Jane Eyre or Emily Dickinson?

Also what are your most effective revision techniques for english?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amelimoo
Hi!
I can't seem to find anyone doing AS English Lit on OCR, so thought I would make a thread.

How are you managing to learn all the quotes for the closed book exam?
What texts are you doing? Is anyone doing Jane Eyre or Emily Dickinson?

Also what are your most effective revision techniques for english?

Heya, I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82
Hey! I'm doing both Jane Eyre and Emily Dickinson! My teachers suggested making mind maps for Jane Eyre but I need the same tips as you I have no idea how to revise for this exam. How are you revising for it?
Good luck for the exam! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by JazzyT17
Hey! I'm doing both Jane Eyre and Emily Dickinson! My teachers suggested making mind maps for Jane Eyre but I need the same tips as you I have no idea how to revise for this exam. How are you revising for it?
Good luck for the exam! :smile:

Hi!
Good luck for the exam!
I'm really panicking haha, I have post it notes with quotes everywhere in my room, and I'm an alevel english ambassador at my school so I've started a revision club where we have debates and play games like family fortunes but change the questions so it's all Jane Eyre related, I'm literally trying everything from making posters to running with the audio book playing!

For Dickinson I've just been mindmapping basic analysis of each poem and doing past paper questions, and well trying to learn the poems, but again there's so much to remember I'm really struggling!

What's your coursework on and what marks have you got so far? (If you don't mind me asking)
Hi!
Good luck for the exam!
I'm really panicking haha, I have post it notes with quotes everywhere in my room, and I'm an alevel english ambassador at my school so I've started a revision club where we have debates and play games like family fortunes but change the questions so it's all Jane Eyre related, I'm literally trying everything from making posters to running with the audio book playing!

For Dickinson I've just been mindmapping basic analysis of each poem and doing past paper questions, and well trying to learn the poems, but again there's so much to remember I'm really struggling!

What's your coursework on and what marks have you got so far? (If you don't mind me asking)

Hi! Sorry for such a late reply! Wow that's cool, the games probably make the quotations easier to remember. Yeah same that's what I've been doing is well but I'm struggling with what quotations to use.
I did a Streetcar Named Desire and The Great Gatsby for the comparative coursework. In which I got a low band 5 so 20-21 and for the close passage I did Owen Sheers On Going in which I also got a low band 5 12-13.How did you do? :smile: These were only first drafts so hopefully the marks increase. Also have you done a mock yet?
Reply 5
Hi! Sorry for such a late reply! Wow that's cool, the games probably make the quotations easier to remember. Yeah same that's what I've been doing is well but I'm struggling with what quotations to use.
I did a Streetcar Named Desire and The Great Gatsby for the comparative coursework. In which I got a low band 5 so 20-21 and for the close passage I did Owen Sheers On Going in which I also got a low band 5 12-13.How did you do? :smile: These were only first drafts so hopefully the marks increase. Also have you done a mock yet?

Haha it's cool! And yeah makes it a lot easier especially because we have some very dramatic people in my class! Wow that's good! I got 12 in my first draft for my close reading of Medusa by Carol Ann Duffy, and I don't know what I've got in my comparative essay yet because we only handed it in today. I should have a better idea on Thursday when I get my final mark back for the close reading and my first draft mark back for the comparitive. I'm hoping to get it all up to 36+/40 and yeah I did a mock in January and got a B overall, wbu?
Reply 6
theme predictions for jane eyre & emily dickinson?
emily dickinson; most likely love or religion (havent come up in the past) im lost with jane eyre
Hey,

I'm doing the same exam board but I'm studying Dorian Gray and Edward Thomas, so if I have any topic buddies quote me in! :wink:
Reply 8

Update: I got Band 4 in my first draft for the comparison essay
Reply 9
Original post by Uw0tm8_
theme predictions for jane eyre & emily dickinson?
emily dickinson; most likely love or religion (havent come up in the past) im lost with jane eyre

If happy letter comes up I will walk out I really really hate that poem! I'm hoping certain slant of light or I felt a funeral comes up

I'm completely lost with Jane Eyre too!!
Haha it's cool! And yeah makes it a lot easier especially because we have some very dramatic people in my class! Wow that's good! I got 12 in my first draft for my close reading of Medusa by Carol Ann Duffy, and I don't know what I've got in my comparative essay yet because we only handed it in today. I should have a better idea on Thursday when I get my final mark back for the close reading and my first draft mark back for the comparitive. I'm hoping to get it all up to 36+/40 and yeah I did a mock in January and got a B overall, wbu?

Well done! That's really good! We only did a mock the last day before we broke up so we'll probably get them back when we return after the break. Also how many times have you read Jane Eyre, I've only read it once.
Reply 11
Well done! That's really good! We only did a mock the last day before we broke up so we'll probably get them back when we return after the break. Also how many times have you read Jane Eyre, I've only read it once.

Haha Thanks! Ooh hope it went okay! We're doing another mock on Monday, I've only read it once it's too boring to read twice 😂😭
Reply 12
Original post by katinthehat
Hey,

I'm doing the same exam board but I'm studying Dorian Gray and Edward Thomas, so if I have any topic buddies quote me in! :wink:

I am also doing these two! How are you feeling? We have barely studied/read Dorian yet, and haven't started revising Thomas yet! Writing coursework this week!!:mad::mad:
Reply 13
Im comparing class in The Great Gatsby and A Streetcar Named Desire, with very little help. Has anyone else compared this? Any ideas?
Also, how important are secondary critics??
Reply 14
Original post by tiajade
Im comparing class in The Great Gatsby and A Streetcar Named Desire, with very little help. Has anyone else compared this? Any ideas?

I had to compare streetcar but not with the great gatsby, and critical comments and context are the most heavily weighted assessment objectives in the comparitive essay
Reply 15
I had to compare streetcar but not with the great gatsby, and critical comments and context are the most heavily weighted assessment objectives in the comparitive essay

Aright, okay thank you!!
Original post by tiajade

I did. What question are you doing maybe I can help?
Reply 17
I did. What question are you doing maybe I can help?

Ahh thank you!!
"Explore the contrast and clash of classes in the 1900s in The Great Gatsby and A Streetcar Named Desire"
Reply 18
Original post by tiajade
Aright, okay thank you!!

no problem! Wish I could be more help!
Reply 19
Does anyone have any critical essays/articles or any type of secondary critics for Gatsby or Streetcar Named Desire?!?!:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest