The Student Room Group

Firm choice and accommodation?

Hi,

I've just been reading the wiki page on choosing a firm and insurance choice http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices#When_do_I_have_to_decide.3F and I have a query about deadlines for choosing my firm and insurance.

It states on the wiki that universities are not allowed to allocate better rooms to applicants who firm early. I had an interview last week at my top choice university and I'm just waiting for my official offer through UCAS. Their accommodation application system opened in early March, and having been on their forum page I've already seen a lot of threads saying things like 'I wanted an en-suite in X hall but they're all gone'. Is it a rule set by UCAS (about not allocating specific accommodation early) or is it more a guideline for the university to follow if they choose to?

If it's a hard and fast rule then I think this university isn't sticking to it:mad:
Reply 1
It's up to the university to chose how they allocate accomodation. Some will have opened from March where as some won't open till may so it varies. Most are first come first serve so those applying earlier on have a higher chance of getting a room. However some uni's prioritise you if you live far away. I don't think the university is not sticking to its rules though. If you're not sure then email or call them tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by lauren1981
Thanks for your reply :smile:

I understand that the university has their way of allocating accommodation, it was more the wording in the student room article which says universities aren't allowed to use the promise of better accommodation to encourage you to firm early! It seemed pretty clear on this but didn't say if it was a UCAS rule? Of the 5 universities I've applied to this is the only one that allocates accommodation first-come, first-served 😞

Oh you better apply early then. My ones first come first serve aswell but I still haven't applied yet. But really universities shouldn't try and promote their accomodation as being better to firm early as this can lead to a biased situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by r-t
Oh you better apply early then. My ones first come first serve aswell but I still haven't applied yet. But really universities shouldn't try and promote their accomodation as being better to firm early as this can lead to a biased situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just waiting for my offer through UCAS then I can firm them straight away and get my accommodation application in :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by lauren1981
Just waiting for my offer through UCAS then I can firm them straight away and get my accommodation application in :biggrin:

Ok good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending