The Student Room Group

How do I go about changing instructor?

So here I am again, in this section because I seem to be very unlucky when it comes to learning new things unfortunately.

I've had 14 hours of driving lessons, and for about the past 6 of them, I have just been getting increasingly worse at driving. However, when I analyse the situation, I've realised that I'm really not comfortable with my instructor, and I'm dreading every lesson. Surely I shouldn't be dreading them? I was really excited at first, but now I absolutely hate it, and I don't want to carry on hating them.

I know that as soon as I notice things, I shouldn't have to put up with them.

I've block booked 20 hours with a driving school, I have 6 hours left. Is it possible to request to change driving instructor and transfer these 6 hours to another instructor? I don't even mind if I end up running over the basics again, I think that's what I need! I'm just not sure how driving schools deal with this sort of thing, I'm sure they must deal with it. Will I get the money back for the 6 hours? Or can I carry on with someone else? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
You really need a good instructor - that's the most important thing, above how often or for how long your lessons are, or where or in what.

It rarely possible to transfer your 6 hours to another instructor - usually only if they're larger single companies (not franchises) that have multiple instructors from each "base", so to speak, so as you've already paid for them then I would get your 6 hours worth then move on.

You shouldn't block book lessons with an instructor you're not comfortable with - always take a couple of single lessons first, you'll know if you "gel" with the instructor from that.

Hope you find a better one soon :smile: Whereabouts do you live?
Reply 2
Yes, change your instructor I literally had exactly the same problem and felt too awkward and lacked confidence because she was a ****ing bitch
Reply 3
Original post by XMaramena
You really need a good instructor - that's the most important thing, above how often or for how long your lessons are, or where or in what.

It rarely possible to transfer your 6 hours to another instructor - usually only if they're larger single companies (not franchises) that have multiple instructors from each "base", so to speak, so as you've already paid for them then I would get your 6 hours worth then move on.

You shouldn't block book lessons with an instructor you're not comfortable with - always take a couple of single lessons first, you'll know if you "gel" with the instructor from that.

Hope you find a better one soon :smile: Whereabouts do you live?

At first I really did gel with them! But then when I kept making stupid mistakes I felt like I was just making him angry and frustrated, and this is where I saw the downfall. I guess I just had a hope that they would improve but they haven't, and I feel like I'm wasting money on bad lessons. I'm taking a break from them anyway as my head is all over the place and I cannot concentrate on them at all. I'd rather spend my money on them when I can fully focus on them and give it all my attention. I live in Lancashire :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by mel1995
Yes, change your instructor I literally had exactly the same problem and felt too awkward and lacked confidence because she was a ****ing bitch

I feel like I'm not being allowed to take the initiative, it's like I'm not trusted. I only learn things from being able to do them myself from time to time!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by CeeDixon
I feel like I'm not being allowed to take the initiative, it's like I'm not trusted. I only learn things from being able to do them myself from time to time!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know what you mean, I was held back so much the woman just wanted to rob all my money so we actually complained to AA about her she was ****ed up. I hope you can get it sorted, have you booked a test yet?
So here I am again, in this section because I seem to be very unlucky when it comes to learning new things unfortunately.

I've had 14 hours of driving lessons, and for about the past 6 of them, I have just been getting increasingly worse at driving. However, when I analyse the situation, I've realised that I'm really not comfortable with my instructor. He does things that make me less confident in myself, and I'm dreading every lesson. Surely I shouldn't be dreading them? I was really excited at first, but now I absolutely hate it, and I don't want to carry on hating them.

I know that as soon as I notice things, I shouldn't have to put up with them.

I've block booked 20 hours with a driving school, I have 6 hours left. Is it possible to request to change driving instructor and transfer these 6 hours to another instructor? I don't even mind if I end up running over the basics again, I think that's what I need! I'm just not sure how driving schools deal with this sort of thing, I'm sure they must deal with it. Will I get the money back for the 6 hours? Or can I carry on with someone else? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

is it a well known company or is it one local to your area?

Ring up and say you want to switch instructors. They should be more than happy to let you change :smile: If you tried to leave the company they may not give you back your money for the 6 hours you have left
Reply 7
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
is it a well known company or is it one local to your area?

Ring up and say you want to switch instructors. They should be more than happy to let you change :smile: If you tried to leave the company they may not give you back your money for the 6 hours you have left

Yes it's a driving school in Lancashire! I'm hoping that they let me change, I'm scared to carry on :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by mel1995
I know what you mean, I was held back so much the woman just wanted to rob all my money so we actually complained to AA about her she was ****ed up. I hope you can get it sorted, have you booked a test yet?

No, I'm not even thinking about taking a test right now haha! Too stressed about other things. Giving it a break for a couple of months or so then I can fully concentrate on them during summer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes it's a driving school in Lancashire! I'm hoping that they let me change, I'm scared to carry on :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They should do :smile: People swap instructors all the time
No, I'm not even thinking about taking a test right now haha! Too stressed about other things. Giving it a break for a couple of months or so then I can fully concentrate on them during summer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats good then, im sure they can arrange something for you, maybe ask some of your friends about their instructors? :smile:
At first I really did gel with them! But then when I kept making stupid mistakes I felt like I was just making him angry and frustrated, and this is where I saw the downfall. I guess I just had a hope that they would improve but they haven't, and I feel like I'm wasting money on bad lessons. I'm taking a break from them anyway as my head is all over the place and I cannot concentrate on them at all. I'd rather spend my money on them when I can fully focus on them and give it all my attention. I live in Lancashire :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, my family lives up there around Hambleton just by Blackpool. If that's close, I can ask who my cousins went to for ya :smile:
Reply 12
I'm still confused as to how driving schools go about people asking to change instructor! If I have 6 hours left, that's another 6 weeks with an instructor I'm not happy with. Surely they would let me change? It wouldn't be fair not to would it? Or do they just not care about me at all :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I'm still confused as to how driving schools go about people asking to change instructor! If I have 6 hours left, that's another 6 weeks with an instructor I'm not happy with. Surely they would let me change? It wouldn't be fair not to would it? Or do they just not care about me at all :frown:

Have you even called them and asked to change?
I think you should just leave the school personally, take the two last lessons with them and get a new instructor.

i had 4 different instructors whilst learning to drive.

the 1st shouted at me when I made mistakes, turned up at my house when I hadn't booked a lesson and put me off learning for a year.

the 2nd one was great, but I went back to university.

my 3rd one lasted one lesson aha! He took me out, changed the rates we agreed to and drove me home half an hour earlier than my lesson finished.
then didn't contact me for 3 weeks.

my 4th got me through my test and I'm so happy I changed. :smile:

its tv worth the hassle of changing as you need a good relationship with your instructor, if your not comfortable with them in the car, you won't be comfortable with them at all.

personally, I find independent instructors a lot more tolerable than company owned ones. They put a lot more effort into keeping you around :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending