The Student Room Group
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester

Anyone applied for burma road/queens/west downs housing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey - I'm a current Winchester student, but I saw this and thought I'd let you know that there is a 'University of Winchester Freshers 2015-16' Facebook page already :smile: it's not got too many members yet but it's linked to the current freshers page so it'll get quite busy/popular.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester
Original post by Carysthomas
I know, that's the problem, it'd be so awkward if no one joined haha

Theres already a facebook group guys, if you look at my thread I started a while ago called something along the lines of applicants 2015 (it'll be around!) It'll be on there somewhere!
Ok cool, thank you both ill look now :smile:
Original post by Carysthomas
Ok cool, thank you both ill look now :smile:

No problem! Im super excited for September!
Reply 24
Hey guys, I'm a student at Winchester currently and live in Queens.

I don't know how many of you, if any of you, have seen the rooms in all the halls (When I went to a tour they only showed a West Downs' room), so I'll give a quick run down.

West Downs' is the oldest halls, some of the rooms have very nice big windows, and their windows open like proper windows; nice and wide. Their kitchen's are decent sized, probably a bit on the small size for the amount of people living in the flats (7 rooms in the flat I frequently visited). The ensuites are very cramped. Also, if your classes are at the main campus, have fun with the hill to get back to your room.

Queens, they're currently having work done to their windows. The windows in queens do not open much, maybe about 4in outwards and that's it. The rooms are a decent size if you don't have lots of stuff, if you have an ensuite they're ok, the shower is at an angle and the shower curtains you are provided do not reach the bottom lip so water gets everywhere if you don't be careful. The kitchen and communal room are nice and spacious, the food cupboards provided aren't huge but there is space until the sinks you can put cooking utensils in if you need extra space. There's plenty of room for you to have all eight of the people staying in the flat.

Burma is the university's newest halls of residence, I haven't been in one of their flats but I've spoken to people living in Burma and you can see the kitchens when you walk by to get to the gym or the Burma laundry room. Their kitchen/communal area is very nice, plenty of room and much better than Queen's and West Downs', however their rooms are apparently really small; and the windows open even less than Queens' do.

Overall it's up to you which halls if any you decide to apply for, however do know that applications come in fast, and even though I applied the first day applications were open; I got my second choice.

Good luck and I hope to see some of you at Winchester next year!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Inaar

I don't know how many of you, if any of you, have seen the rooms in all the halls (When I went to a tour they only showed a West Downs' room), so I'll give a quick run down.

West Downs' is the oldest halls, some of the rooms have very nice big windows, and their windows open like proper windows; nice and wide. Their kitchen's are decent sized, probably a bit on the small size for the amount of people living in the flats (7 rooms in the flat I frequently visited). The ensuites are very cramped. Also, if your classes are at the main campus, have fun with the hill to get back to your room.

Queens, they're currently having work done to their windows. The windows in queens do not open much, maybe about 4in outwards and that's it. The rooms are a decent size if you don't have lots of stuff, if you have an ensuite they're ok, the shower is at an angle and the shower curtains you are provided do not reach the bottom lip so water gets everywhere if you don't be careful. The kitchen and communal room are nice and spacious, the food cupboards provided aren't huge but there is space until the sinks you can put cooking utensils in if you need extra space. There's plenty of room for you to have all eight of the people staying in the flat.

Burma is the university's newest halls of residence, I haven't been in one of their flats but I've spoken to people living in Burma and you can see the kitchens when you walk by to get to the gym or the Burma laundry room. Their kitchen/communal area is very nice, plenty of room and much better than Queen's and West Downs', however their rooms are apparently really small; and the windows open even less than Queens' do.

Overall it's up to you which halls if any you decide to apply for, however do know that applications come in fast, and even though I applied the first day applications were open; I got my second choice.

Thank you for the info- may I ask what course you're studying?
Reply 26
Original post by Inaar

Thanks for the info - I missed the housing open day lol so this is a big help! :smile:
I'm here if you have any questions about West Down's en-suite :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by alexyyyy
Thank you for the info- may I ask what course you're studying?

I am studying Education Studies :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Inaar

Hi there!
I was searching for some hours for any information or photos about Queens and thankfully found your comment. It helped a lot. I am about to choose the accommodation and will be great if you could tell me something more about the difference between En suite and Twin rooms. I mean the size etc. because there is a difference in price.

Greetings from Poland! :smile:
Reply 30
I applied for Queens, then west downs. I applied for Psychology with child development Andy as an offer of 320 ucas points. Anyone who is doing similar, I would love to chat:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by SueF
Hi there!
I was searching for some hours for any information or photos about Queens and thankfully found your comment. It helped a lot. I am about to choose the accommodation and will be great if you could tell me something more about the difference between En suite and Twin rooms. I mean the size etc. because there is a difference in price.

Greetings from Poland! :smile:

I am so sorry it took me so long to see this!
I can only tell you about the En suite rooms in Queens unfortunately as there are no Twin rooms on our floor, I don't think there are any even in our block.
I had a small room at home, so the En suite room is plenty big for me; there's a decent cupboard, a long desk on one side of the room with shelves and a pin board above it, a single bed with a decent sized bedside cabinet next to it.
The actual En suite of the En suite room, is a little small, but unless you're Hagrid from Harry Potter size, I'm sure you'll be fine with it. Although; Don't let the shower drain get blocked if you take long showers. That's how to flood your room very quickly.
Burma is my first choice! And I'm also studying film production...with performing arts too :smile:
Reply 33
Same I actually cant wait haha I guess I'll see you in september !
Me too! Finally just get to study the subject I actually like! See you then!
Reply 35
Is anyone going to study Psychology?
Original post by Cinderellaoxox
Burma is my first choice! And I'm also studying film production...with performing arts too :smile:

Not studying that but Burma is my first choice too!
Reply 37
I applied for west downs first and Burma road second, studying a combined honours in history and education studies!:smile: looking forward to it!
I applied for all three but found out today that i haven't been given any of them :redface: but instead managed housing off campus. Seems somewhat unfair as i did apply as early as possible, will have to see what I end up with :redface:oo
Heyy, got a UMH offer for Winnall Place and it stated that the total charge would be around £7650. I applied for standard house and got that heartfelt offer.
Have two questions: is Winnall Place part of the newly built Balfour House?
Can i decline the offer and waiti to see what happen? What should i do now? I am an international student and that price is way too much. Could not afford anywhere near £5000 for 43 weeks.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending