The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
kasey3000
does anyone know what the percentage is that is needed for OCR intermediate maths? i know the highest grade is B and I'm hoping to achieve that.....my teacher says 80%, is that right? cheers, kasey.

I would go with the word of your teacher :smile:
AQA A
72% for an A* :eek:
A - 57%
B - 39%
C - 18%

That was one year, and the paper wasn't even hard :rolleyes:
I think the grade boundaries might change now (most likely higher) because of the omission of intermediate tier....
That sounds about right for Higher Tier maths, especially with Edexcel. I did the infamous 2004 papers and we only needed 45% for an A! I did scrape an A on the exams, but I only got a high C on my coursework, so I ended up with a B overall. Those exams were bloody hard though, especially the non-calculator paper!
Reply 24
Yeah, the maths boundaries are very low. Can't really complain becuase a lot of people still don't get the grades they expect becuase they forget things like showing all their workings.

If it's 72% for an A* then I got an A* in my mock exam Paper 1. Haven't got Paper 2 result yet, hopefully teacher will mark them tonight, but yeah, they are low.
Reply 25
For GCSE Intermediate Maths 2005 paper they needed 80% to get a B!

Yeah but they're easy. I got full marks on the calculator paper intermediate without revising, went into the higher and got a whopping 20% with a bit of revision.

My school gives As at 75% and A*s at 85% for maths mocks. Well, they did last year anyway!

My 20% was a U and the lowest they gave was a B for above 50%.

I'm sure I remember my maths teacher - who's quite young - saying the year he did his it was 16% for a C.

That can't be right, he must have said 26%....

No... I'm sure it was 16... :/
Damn is that for real? I mean for me to get A* at IGCSE you need 94%+, I never know bout this cos usually the boundary is like 75-80%+ for an A (it depend on the paper difficulty). Do this apply to all subject or just Maths cos it might explain the A* around...
TSRXShogun
Do this apply to all subject or just Maths cos it might explain the A* around...
Nope, as far as I know, it's just Maths which has crazily low grade boundaries, especially for a grade C!! :eek3: You often get people who just cannot cope with Maths, but with Science and English it's not so apparent...
AisAis
Yeah but they're easy. I got full marks on the calculator paper intermediate without revising, went into the higher and got a whopping 20% with a bit of revision

That happened to me because i'm in the intermediate set and i got 2 high C's on the higher paper - that was without revising and i didn't even know how to do the stuff because no one had taught it to me. The bloody school still won't move me up though - i think i did well considering the circumstances
Reply 29
i love biology
That happened to me because i'm in the intermediate set and i got 2 high C's on the higher paper - that was without revising and i didn't even know how to do the stuff because no one had taught it to me. The bloody school still won't move me up though - i think i did well considering the circumstances

You seem to be having a lot of problems regarding you not doing the higher tier. Maybe if you had revisied you might be able to move up, without that motivation, how do you think you would be able to cope with the higher? :rolleyes:
Bexiness!
You seem to be having a lot of problems regarding you not doing the higher tier. Maybe if you had revisied you might be able to move up, without that motivation, how do you think you would be able to cope with the higher? :rolleyes:

And i did try to revise but its difficult to grasp concepts when
a. no one taught them to you
b. no one has given you a list of the topics that will come up in the exam
Of course I have the motivation to do the higher tier - I've been talking to loads of teachers about itfor the past 1 and a half years. Before the exams I revised with a group of friends and like i said before it is very difficult to understand without being taught the material. Try doing a an AS or A2 exam paper without no prep or input - then you'll know how hard it is!
Reply 31
It's not low IMO. Remember the terminal paper is 50% of the whole qualification.
Reply 32
Abra
It's not low IMO. Remember the terminal paper is 50% of the whole qualification.

For me it's 80%, i don't do modular maths, i do linear maths :smile:
Reply 33
i love biology
And i did try to revise but its difficult to grasp concepts when
a. no one taught them to you
b. no one has given you a list of the topics that will come up in the exam
Of course I have the motivation to do the higher tier - I've been talking to loads of teachers about itfor the past 1 and a half years. Before the exams I revised with a group of friends and like i said before it is very difficult to understand without being taught the material. Try doing a an AS or A2 exam paper without no prep or input - then you'll know how hard it is!

I don't get it, why don't you get taught any of the material? :s-smilie:
Bexiness!
I don't get it, why don't you get taught any of the material? :s-smilie:

I'm in the intermediate set and the material that is taught is for the intermediate paper. The higher material is not taught to my set - only the topics that overlap and even they are simple methods
Reply 35
At least the A* is still high. In fact its higher than it was. I think it was more like 73% when I took gcse maths
Bexiness!
I am so surprised at these grade boundaries we have been given for out Maths Higher GCSE mock. These were the %'s:
75% = A*
60% = A
37% = B
19% = C
I think 19% on a higher paper to get a recognised pass is faaaar too low!

No wonder adults think that exams are getting easier :rolleyes:

Is this usual or not? Please discuss :smile:

19% for a C! wow i wish id had those boundaries for my exams :frown: i would have got an A lol, damn :p:
Bexiness!
I am so surprised at these grade boundaries we have been given for out Maths Higher GCSE mock. These were the %'s:
75% = A*
60% = A
37% = B
19% = C
I think 19% on a higher paper to get a recognised pass is faaaar too low!

No wonder adults think that exams are getting easier :rolleyes:

Is this usual or not? Please discuss :smile:

It's not that bad. In one of my modular tests last year it was 13% for a C. It made me rofl in despair :biggrin:
Reply 38
lil groovy dude
This is pretty usual! :smile:

In 2005 there was a big "topic" on how OCR maths was giving C's out at 22% I think it was!

That's nothing! I remember last year when my brother received his results...there was a report in a newspaper saying that people were getting A*s in Business Studies with only 51/52%:eek: Now that's low!
Reply 39
gooner1592
That's nothing! I remember last year when my brother received his results...there was a report in a newspaper saying that people were getting A*s in Business Studies with only 51/52%:eek: Now that's low!

:eek:

Latest