The Student Room Group

Camp America - alcohol.

I'm currently in the process of signing up for Camp America this summer. After just returning from a 3 month stretch of backpacking SE Asia I'm excited to get abroad again.

But, I don't want to sound like an alcoholic here, but it appears that Camp America etc are rather strict on their alcohol policy - regardless of age. Does this even include days off? Going potentially nine or so weeks without a beer is pretty intense, especially seeing as it'll be my 22nd birthday over there at one point too. I'm not exactly going there to drink all the time or anything, but a good drink here and there would definitely be welcome. I know it's against the rules to drink on camp itself but surely if there was a bar in some nearby town, that should be okay surely?

So anybody that's been Camp America or such like, can you explain and go over what it was like from a drinking perspective when you were there? Please don't give me a butthurt rant about how bad drinking is etc. Even if you didn't drink yourself; what did other workers there do when they fancied a pint in their time off?

Thanks.
Original post by VivaJake
I'm currently in the process of signing up for Camp America this summer. After just returning from a 3 month stretch of backpacking SE Asia I'm excited to get abroad again.

But, I don't want to sound like an alcoholic here, but it appears that Camp America etc are rather strict on their alcohol policy - regardless of age. Does this even include days off? Going potentially nine or so weeks without a beer is pretty intense, especially seeing as it'll be my 22nd birthday over there at one point too. I'm not exactly going there to drink all the time or anything, but a good drink here and there would definitely be welcome. I know it's against the rules to drink on camp itself but surely if there was a bar in some nearby town, that should be okay surely?

So anybody that's been Camp America or such like, can you explain and go over what it was like from a drinking perspective when you were there? Please don't give me a butthurt rant about how bad drinking is etc. Even if you didn't drink yourself; what did other workers there do when they fancied a pint in their time off?

Thanks.

You are right they are very very strict, it might vary by camp but someone I know who went got fired just for having consumed alcohol in a bar in town in her break.
Original post by VivaJake

Thanks.

I like a drink as much as the next person - in fact, I have a bottle of wine on the go as I type this :colone: - but a job like that, working with kids and all, really requires you to go cold turkey, as it were, while you're there. I go by the philosophy that nothing worth doing comes without sacrifice, and so think of the lack of alcohol as your sacrifice!!

If it's any consolation, later this year I'm going to Australia to attempt a 6-week bushwalk, during which I'll have no access to alcohol, and currently I'm used to around 2-4 drinks per week on average, so I'll be facing a similar issue :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest