The Student Room Group

What's global shift? Edexcel AS

Just can't seem to find an easy definition for it, looked everywhere :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Movement in industries say from Britain to China due to lower costs and that shenanigans
Reply 2
Ohhhhhh that makes sense, I feel silly now haha, thank you!!!
Reply 3
Is there any official Edexcel Unit 1 : global challenges thread? I cant seem to find one :tongue:
Reply 4
I can't find one either, it would be super helpful if there was one!!😋

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Can we not just make this the 'unofficial' one? Better that way otherwise sometimes it gets confusing when too many people get involved.
Reply 6
yeah sure!! :smile: do you feel like you're ready for the exam then??? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by _eloiseee_
yeah sure!! :smile: do you feel like you're ready for the exam then??? :smile:

That depends. Unit 1 I feel ready for and hopefully get an A but unit 2 I just find myself to be so inconsistent and wouldn't be surprised if I ended up retaking just the unit 2 next year. What about you? And also what case studies have you/will you hav ready for unit 1? I see so many people with a case study on an earthquake and every single hazard but don't see any mention of it on the spec and have never done a past paper where it has been required!
Reply 8
omg i totally agree!! Can you retake just one unit? And the worst thing is that I have the worst teacher I've ever had in my life so that makes me feel even less confident about how well I'm going to do! I've only done the compulsory ones (Philippines and California) so far but I think I might just learn a few facts on some other hazards in both an MEDC and LEDC country just to be on the safe side, although I have to agree with you, I've never seen a question where it requires any other case study that isn't in the spec!
Reply 9
omg i totally agree!! Can you retake just one unit? And the worst thing is that I have the worst teacher I've ever had in my life so that makes me feel even less confident about how well I'm going to do! I've only done the compulsory ones (Philippines and California) so far but I think I might just learn a few facts on some other hazards in both an MEDC and LEDC country just to be on the safe side, although I have to agree with you, I've never seen a question where it requires any other case study that isn't in the spec!

I know someone in my school doing just the unit 2 for geography so I am assuming you can. And maybe you just forgot but there are also 2 more compulsory case studies for physical geography (effect of climate change on both Africa and the Arctic regions). I have a feeling the Africa one could come up as I haven't seen it come up as an essay question.
As for the teachers I can totally understand. I personally never learn anything from teachers (except Spanish) as I never take knowledge in from simply hearing it and writin got down. It has to be from a text book. Speaking of which what books do you use to study and revise?
Reply 10
ahhhh, i hope that is an option then, that would make me feel so much better! oh yeah I have revised them too, just forgot to mention them :P I wouldn't mind if the Africa case study came up! Kinda hoping it does now you've said it haha! yeah thats like me, and my teacher doesn't even teach 90% of whats in the book! Well, my teacher told me to get the one by Chapman, King and Digby (the book has a fish on the front). However I stopped using it ages ago because he then told us that the book is only able to get you a C grade!!! I wasn't happy because some people obviously want Bs and As, so he'd recommended a book that was not appropriate!! So I did my research and I now use 3 books: the small book by Sue Warn, the CGP book and the 'my revision notes' one! How about you?
Reply 11
ahhhh, i hope that is an option then, that would make me feel so much better! oh yeah I have revised them too, just forgot to mention them :P I wouldn't mind if the Africa case study came up! Kinda hoping it does now you've said it haha! yeah thats like me, and my teacher doesn't even teach 90% of whats in the book! Well, my teacher told me to get the one by Chapman, King and Digby (the book has a fish on the front). However I stopped using it ages ago because he then told us that the book is only able to get you a C grade!!! I wasn't happy because some people obviously want Bs and As, so he'd recommended a book that was not appropriate!! So I did my research and I now use 3 books: the small book by Sue Warn, the CGP book and the 'my revision notes' one! How about you?

Same!!! School gave us the fish book and the Sue warn book. I actually think the fish book is useless. The Sue warn book is good but I think that it's best when combined with the CGP guide. My teacher said it would only get me a C. I think not. Used it for my mock and got 73 (65 was an A).
What grade are you hoping to get
Reply 12
Yeah it really is, it's all case study based! It doesn't actually give you the knowledge you need to apply it to other questions! Yeah I agree, there's bits of info in the CGP that the Sue Warn book doesn't have and vice versa! Wow well done!! Well I'm hoping for an A, and i first thought that it would be achievable as I came out with an A* in GCSE, but I'm really wondering whether thats possible now!!
Reply 13
Yeah it really is, it's all case study based! It doesn't actually give you the knowledge you need to apply it to other questions! Yeah I agree, there's bits of info in the CGP that the Sue Warn book doesn't have and vice versa! Wow well done!! Well I'm hoping for an A, and i first thought that it would be achievable as I came out with an A* in GCSE, but I'm really wondering whether thats possible now!!

I guess I'm in a similar situation for geography. That's why as I said I will end up retaking unit 2. I'm really focused on unit 1 but what I don't want to happen is I end up having to retake both. That would be crappy. Just keep at it I guess! Even if it does mean that you end up retaking both next year it will be worth it. The A2 papers just look absolutely horrible especially unit 4 so ideally you would want to end up getting an A at AS so you can more or less secure that B when the A level is completed.
So what do you actually think of the subject? Do you find it fun or are your other subjects better?
Hey, was reading through the feed I think the Arctic could come up as Unit 3/4 are largely based on that this year :smile: I wouldn't recommend redoing both exams next year I'm doing unit 1 resit and that's a handful as it is! :smile: although if you do end up resiting unit 1 a lot of the cases overlap with unit 3 :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I am resitting both Unit 2 and Unit 1, and I am a U6 student. Annie you are right :tongue: I have a good feeling Arctic will come up and climate change in Unit 1
Oh god, where have you found the time for revision? Ive only done revision on hazards and climate change. Hoping unit 3 will help me with globalisation :smile:
Reply 17
I really hope it does come up. I find it very easy for some reason in comparison perhaps as I've done loads of questions on it. And do you mind telling me a bit about a2 geography? Mainly unit 4 and whether you research only one topic and whether the content gets taught to you. My current geography teacher only teaches 1 and 2 so can't tell me.
Thanks
Reply 18
Original post by AnnieGracie
Oh god, where have you found the time for revision? Ive only done revision on hazards and climate change. Hoping unit 3 will help me with globalisation :smile:

Do you use he CGP revision guide for unit 1. Or did you last year? I find it really useful and don't believe in any of the bs when teachers say it only gets you a C
Yea I'm using it this year, its so much quicker to just go over things :smile: My teacher actually recommended it, a lot of my class got As by using it last year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending