The Student Room Group

Girlfriend overly dependent, needy, always complaining about being ill etc.

I feel so **** for writing this; I don't think my girlfriend is a mean or selfish person or anything, and I'm sure that all of this is probably subconscious or whatever with her, but regardless it's still really stressing me out / making me depressed.

I've been with her for a few months, and I love her greatly, but I'm beginning to think she has some issues that lead her to be as I described in the title. She has, in the past (and presently, as obviously you never get rid of it) had problems with depression, anxiety etc., and so I have really tried to be as understanding as I can. I struggle with similar things (although I've never been diagnosed as I've never been to a doctor about it) so I know what it can be like to some extent.

But I've started to really resent her for the way she acts a lot of the time, and I'm 99% convinced, based on my knowledge of her as a person, that it boils down to needing attention, or pity, or maybe just drama. I'll try to explain what she does / what she's like.

The main example is how she gets when she's either upset (usually over nothing, as is to be expected with depression and anxiety etc.) or physically ill. First of all, she is constantly and consistently complaining to me about being ill. Over the past few months, particularly these last couple, I would say 70% of the days have been complaints about being ill. So more than every other day, but not every single day. The illness can range from feeling faint, stomach pains, headache, general malaise, etc. There is no specific thing. But what annoys me isn't that she gets ill this much, it's that (a) I believe she exaggerates it, (b) she doesn't stop complaining about it. For instance, she might message me saying that she's feeling really ill and faint, then I'll reply giving sympathy and saying that I love her and agreeing that it sucks etc, then she'll complain again ("it's so bad" or something), I'll give her some suggestions ("lie down, drink some water, have you spoken to a doctor etc."), she'll say it doesn't help and complain again, the process will be repeated with all sorts of varied complaints from her ("I don't need this today", "why am I always ill", "seriously I feel like I'm dying"), maybe 15-20 times without exaggeration.

When we're both at uni, because I'm only a 10 minute walk away, I'll almost always go over to comfort her and be with her; when I'm at home I'll have to put up with the complaining for usually a few hours, sometimes all day. I usually end up feeling mentally drained myself and either pressured into seeing her to comfort her, or extremely guilty for not being able to. For instance right now I'm about to get ready and make my way over to her, a 1hr30 journey, to comfort her because she's ill (and has actually been to the doctors today; they're going to do blood tests) only to spend maybe an hour or 2 with her to then get the last bus back which is another 1hr30 journey. She hasn't asked me to, but I'd feel like a dick if I didn't. She's said she'll leave it up to my judgment to decide whether it's worth the journey.

I wouldn't mind doing this stuff if it wasn't all the time. Now the second problem is that I'm fairly sure she also exaggerates her illnesses. There have been a couple of times where I've gone round and after 20 minutes and a packet of crisps she says she feels better (conveniently after she's already got me round there with her). There are many little things that lead me to believe this. Like when she was that upset when I went round that she started writing to me instead of talking and said that she was that worried and upset that she physically/mentally couldn't talk, and kept opening her mouth but words were unable to come out. I simply did not believe that, but I comforted her anyway because even if she is exaggerating it there are obviously underlying issues there that I feel the need to indulge in her.

We've argued before, and I actually broke up with her (but we got back together literally 30 seconds later, because I can't stand the thought of not being with her and I love her so much), and one of the reasons was how she is with stuff like this. I used to believe it to be conscious emotional manipulation, but now I just think she has some sort of need to get attention and support off me, and uses this way of acting to get it. She's always said, when there have been times when I've been less than supportive (there have been a couple of times when, yes, I was a dick), that she needs someone that cares enough about her to be there for her when she needs them, i.e. she needs me to be there for her when she's ill or upset. And I would be happy with this if it wasn't for (a) how often she gets ill or upset, AKA most days, (b) how much she exaggerates these things, (c) how long she dwells on them for.

These things make it so that I am always either having to go over to see her and comfort her, or always having to speak about it and comfort her over texts or facebook. This really brings my whole day(s) down and leaves me feeling guilty and emotionally drained, and like I said it got to the point where I was going to break up with her, despite how much I love her (but then couldn't follow through with it). When we got into that argument she said that she's always been there for me when I really need her, but she fails to understand that I need her far less than she needs me, so it's not as demanding for her.

If I were to tell her all this I am 100% certain that she would be offended and upset by it. She told me the other day that she's afraid to talk to me about when she's upset and stuff because of what I said when we argued (that I found her too needy and that she complained too much to manipulate me etc etc), and that she doesn't want to push me away. And her saying that just made me feel more guilty than ever (lol). There really is no way of talking about this to her because (a) I can't prove that she exaggerates stuff and dwells on it too much, (b) she'll think I'm being unsupportive or something (I can imagine a response like "well I guess I'll just not tell you when I'm ill or upset any more then", or something along those lines).

I really want to stay with her. I'm someone that never gets into relationships because I don't like them, but I love her so much that I am in one with her, and can't bear the thought of not being with her. But it takes so much out of my time and emotional energy to have to put up with this.

Any suggestions at all are greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

oh this sounds familiar.

Look I had an ex like that and I will tell you now, it will eventually lead to two things.

1. Wanting to jam nails into your ears every time she starts
2. You simply stop believing her - theres only so much sympathy you can give.

Look OP as much as you love her, a chronic need for attention is not a good a thing, at best its really irritating at worst its emotional manipulation and blackmail.

Frankly and i speak from experience you WILL end up being this girls crutch. You are doing her no favours by humouring her like this.

If she wont change her ways, then for your own sanity get the hell out of there
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I feel so **** for writing this; I don't think my girlfriend is a mean or selfish person or anything, and I'm sure that all of this is probably subconscious or whatever with her, but regardless it's still really stressing me out / making me depressed.

I've been with her for a few months, and I love her greatly, but I'm beginning to think she has some issues that lead her to be as I described in the title. She has, in the past (and presently, as obviously you never get rid of it) had problems with depression, anxiety etc., and so I have really tried to be as understanding as I can. I struggle with similar things (although I've never been diagnosed as I've never been to a doctor about it) so I know what it can be like to some extent.

But I've started to really resent her for the way she acts a lot of the time, and I'm 99% convinced, based on my knowledge of her as a person, that it boils down to needing attention, or pity, or maybe just drama. I'll try to explain what she does / what she's like.

The main example is how she gets when she's either upset (usually over nothing, as is to be expected with depression and anxiety etc.) or physically ill. First of all, she is constantly and consistently complaining to me about being ill. Over the past few months, particularly these last couple, I would say 70% of the days have been complaints about being ill. So more than every other day, but not every single day. The illness can range from feeling faint, stomach pains, headache, general malaise, etc. There is no specific thing. But what annoys me isn't that she gets ill this much, it's that (a) I believe she exaggerates it, (b) she doesn't stop complaining about it. For instance, she might message me saying that she's feeling really ill and faint, then I'll reply giving sympathy and saying that I love her and agreeing that it sucks etc, then she'll complain again ("it's so bad" or something), I'll give her some suggestions ("lie down, drink some water, have you spoken to a doctor etc."), she'll say it doesn't help and complain again, the process will be repeated with all sorts of varied complaints from her ("I don't need this today", "why am I always ill", "seriously I feel like I'm dying"), maybe 15-20 times without exaggeration.

When we're both at uni, because I'm only a 10 minute walk away, I'll almost always go over to comfort her and be with her; when I'm at home I'll have to put up with the complaining for usually a few hours, sometimes all day. I usually end up feeling mentally drained myself and either pressured into seeing her to comfort her, or extremely guilty for not being able to. For instance right now I'm about to get ready and make my way over to her, a 1hr30 journey, to comfort her because she's ill (and has actually been to the doctors today; they're going to do blood tests) only to spend maybe an hour or 2 with her to then get the last bus back which is another 1hr30 journey. She hasn't asked me to, but I'd feel like a dick if I didn't. She's said she'll leave it up to my judgment to decide whether it's worth the journey.

I wouldn't mind doing this stuff if it wasn't all the time. Now the second problem is that I'm fairly sure she also exaggerates her illnesses. There have been a couple of times where I've gone round and after 20 minutes and a packet of crisps she says she feels better (conveniently after she's already got me round there with her). There are many little things that lead me to believe this. Like when she was that upset when I went round that she started writing to me instead of talking and said that she was that worried and upset that she physically/mentally couldn't talk, and kept opening her mouth but words were unable to come out. I simply did not believe that, but I comforted her anyway because even if she is exaggerating it there are obviously underlying issues there that I feel the need to indulge in her.

We've argued before, and I actually broke up with her (but we got back together literally 30 seconds later, because I can't stand the thought of not being with her and I love her so much), and one of the reasons was how she is with stuff like this. I used to believe it to be conscious emotional manipulation, but now I just think she has some sort of need to get attention and support off me, and uses this way of acting to get it. She's always said, when there have been times when I've been less than supportive (there have been a couple of times when, yes, I was a dick), that she needs someone that cares enough about her to be there for her when she needs them, i.e. she needs me to be there for her when she's ill or upset. And I would be happy with this if it wasn't for (a) how often she gets ill or upset, AKA most days, (b) how much she exaggerates these things, (c) how long she dwells on them for.

These things make it so that I am always either having to go over to see her and comfort her, or always having to speak about it and comfort her over texts or facebook. This really brings my whole day(s) down and leaves me feeling guilty and emotionally drained, and like I said it got to the point where I was going to break up with her, despite how much I love her (but then couldn't follow through with it). When we got into that argument she said that she's always been there for me when I really need her, but she fails to understand that I need her far less than she needs me, so it's not as demanding for her.

If I were to tell her all this I am 100% certain that she would be offended and upset by it. She told me the other day that she's afraid to talk to me about when she's upset and stuff because of what I said when we argued (that I found her too needy and that she complained too much to manipulate me etc etc), and that she doesn't want to push me away. And her saying that just made me feel more guilty than ever (lol). There really is no way of talking about this to her because (a) I can't prove that she exaggerates stuff and dwells on it too much, (b) she'll think I'm being unsupportive or something (I can imagine a response like "well I guess I'll just not tell you when I'm ill or upset any more then", or something along those lines).

I really want to stay with her. I'm someone that never gets into relationships because I don't like them, but I love her so much that I am in one with her, and can't bear the thought of not being with her. But it takes so much out of my time and emotional energy to have to put up with this.

TL;DR you're not her carer, if she's not getting psychological help then you should tell her (sensitively) that you think it would benefit both her and your relationship. If she can't handle hearing that then I think you need to break up with her.
sounds like me a year ago (although I never complained to anyone lol). Doctors never did manage to diagnose my symptoms lol. I've chalked it up to depression / stress / not eating / sleeping enough tbh.
Is she on the implant? Any hormonal birth control?
No offence OP, but this seems like another case of one partner babying another. If you think she's doing this for attention, why have you continued to give it to her? She's even aware that you think she's needy, yet she still carries on pushing your buttons.

I'm actually always ill and try not to weigh my boyfriend down by talking about it, and certainly wouldn't expect him to come over to look after me - and we even live in the same city!
My mum is like that.

As someone with depression myself, I have to stay away from her a lot of the time. Even when I was healthy she was a drain.
Reply 7
Original post by silverbolt
oh this sounds familiar.

Look I had an ex like that and I will tell you now, it will eventually lead to two things.

1. Wanting to jam nails into your ears every time she starts
2. You simply stop believing her - theres only so much sympathy you can give.

Look OP as much as you love her, a chronic need for attention is not a good a thing, at best its really irritating at worst its emotional manipulation and blackmail.

Frankly and i speak from experience you WILL end up being this girls crutch. You are doing her no favours by humouring her like this.

If she wont change her ways, then for your own sanity get the hell out of there

Do you think it would be a good idea to humour her less and not pander to it as much then? Without being a dick about it and acting as if I don't care completely. I feel like that might end up with her getting angry at me. There have been two or three times where I've been stressed and she's been complaining about something and I've done the usual support and then suggestions, and then she's kept on complaining and I've stopped pandering so much and told her that "idk what to suggest" or gave shorter replies (not harsh or anything, but not as supportive) and those situations always ended up in an argument after her either being passive aggressive with me, insinuating that I don't care about her and am being a dick, or plain out having a go at me. I remember one time (bearing in mind, after I'd done the usual couple of supportive messages) where I said something like "you really need to get a doctor to look at dat **** seriously", and after a few other short responses she went really passive aggressive and went to bed (this was when I'd told her I had an essay in for the next day and wished that I could go over but couldn't as I was working, if I remember right). The next day after I didn't apologise she had a go at me and said that I was basically being facetious and not treating it seriously because I used the word "dat". She genuinely expects me to always respond with absolute love and affection, like any less than "oh my god that's so horrible I love you so much I wish I could be there right now to cuddle you" is tantamount to me not caring or being supportive enough. She says that I'm the sort of person that likes to be alone and stuff and doesn't need that sort of affection and attention (which is true, I've told her this before; e.g. wanting to be alone when depressed) but that she is the opposite and, I suppose therefore implicitly, I should always act in that pandering way.

Original post by purplehedgehog11
TL;DR you're not her carer, if she's not getting psychological help then you should tell her (sensitively) that you think it would benefit both her and your relationship. If she can't handle hearing that then I think you need to break up with her.

Well I mean she has had psychological help in the past for depression and stuff, and she says that she might go back sometimes, but she also says that it didn't help and that antidepressants made her worse. And if you mean psychological help in general regarding all of this, and what I believe to be her being over-dependent and attention-seeking etc., I'm 100% certain she would deny being that way at all and would probably turn it round on me and have a go at me for saying this (otherwise she would deny it but get really upset that I think that of her etc.).

No and yes, but she's only just gone back on it. She's been the same both on and off birth control.
Do you think it would be a good idea to humour her less and not pander to it as much then? Without being a dick about it and acting as if I don't care completely. I feel like that might end up with her getting angry at me. There have been two or three times where I've been stressed and she's been complaining about something and I've done the usual support and then suggestions, and then she's kept on complaining and I've stopped pandering so much and told her that "idk what to suggest" or gave shorter replies (not harsh or anything, but not as supportive) and those situations always ended up in an argument after her either being passive aggressive with me, insinuating that I don't care about her and am being a dick, or plain out having a go at me. I remember one time (bearing in mind, after I'd done the usual couple of supportive messages) where I said something like "you really need to get a doctor to look at dat **** seriously", and after a few other short responses she went really passive aggressive and went to bed (this was when I'd told her I had an essay in for the next day and wished that I could go over but couldn't as I was working, if I remember right). The next day after I didn't apologise she had a go at me and said that I was basically being facetious and not treating it seriously because I used the word "dat". She genuinely expects me to always respond with absolute love and affection, like any less than "oh my god that's so horrible I love you so much I wish I could be there right now to cuddle you" is tantamount to me not caring or being supportive enough. She says that I'm the sort of person that likes to be alone and stuff and doesn't need that sort of affection and attention (which is true, I've told her this before; e.g. wanting to be alone when depressed) but that she is the opposite and, I suppose therefore implicitly, I should always act in that pandering way.

Well I mean she has had psychological help in the past for depression and stuff, and she says that she might go back sometimes, but she also says that it didn't help and that antidepressants made her worse. And if you mean psychological help in general regarding all of this, and what I believe to be her being over-dependent and attention-seeking etc., I'm 100% certain she would deny being that way at all and would probably turn it round on me and have a go at me for saying this (otherwise she would deny it but get really upset that I think that of her etc.).

No and yes, but she's only just gone back on it. She's been the same both on and off birth control.

Speaking as someone who's been the mentally ill kind of dependent person in a relationship, what she wants isn't necessarily what's good for her. She might want you to provide her with constant sympathy in order to feel loved but that isn't reasonable, like I said you're not her carer (or counsellor or whatever). Antidepressants not working is fair enough but there's probably some kind of talking therapy that would benefit her. I don't know whether she has attention seeking issues independent of her depression but it's possible they stem from it, in which case you don't necessarily need to address them?

Whoa... o_o... uhm, I'm not going to pretend to be any sort of relationship expert (because, obviously I'm not), but I'll be glad to assist with your venting and advising process if you'd like? Oh, and please excuse me if I come across as 'rude'; ¬_¬ I tend to phrase things in a way that implies a forceful undertone (or so I've been told).

I understand that you love this individual, you seem really (seriously) dedicated to her, on levels that I wouldn't even think I'd be able to emulate were I in a relationship (X^D, then again, I am a glacier-hearted-single who has yet to be thawed out by the flames of a romantic relationship). But, does she love you? <-- I mean that not in any presumptuous way, and I'm not implying that she doesn't. It just seems that with the effort you place within this relationship, contrast to that which she places...the weights of your relationship seem imbalanced (but, then again, I could be missing something about her). I'm going to guess that you take this relationship seriously. A fundamental aspect of being in a relationship is the idea that each participant carries responsibility for themselves and their partner. In this case, you seem to be the only one carrying most of the responsibility for both parties, and its obvious even to me that you're being burdened. She should express just as much dedicated to you as you do to her, the way your quote reads I don't think she is. As you express understanding for her (even to the extent of burdening yourself) she should also express understanding for your predicament. I mean, honestly, to travel for an hour and a half to see her almost every other day because of her 'sicknesses', and then to spend hours comforting her via e-media, resulting in emotional drainage... :^( Think to yourself, what has she done within this relationship for you, and then compare that to what you have done. Consider this variable very carefully.

The fact that you feel that you can't very easily express your concerns to her is also an issue you need to deal with. Personally speaking, I categorize relationships into two different categories when thinking about 'relationship problems'.

1st category: Typical Modern Teen Relations. In short, relationships that will inevitably end. Y'know, when you get into a relationship knowing that it will eventually end, and you fully accept that, and then decide to 'play along' as it were, until that fateful day comes. :^/ I don't typically like these relationships very much, as either partner will eventually get hurt. It's a relationship that is doomed to fail.

2nd category: Serious Relationships Leading Towards Marriage. Or at least a future together. This is the category I look to when giving most advice to people in relationships (so, I've places your predicament here also). This is a relationship that should be treated with care and respect, it works in a way where the two partners behave as though they were in essence 'married'. So a relationship that both participants would like to go far, and possibly last for a very long time.

You've also got to consider, according to these two, where your relationship could be places and why.

Due to the fact that I have placed your relationship in the 2nd category (out of respect; your dedicated kinda deserved it), I'll try to provide further analysis accordingly. If you guys were to eventually develop this relationship, would it bear good fruit?

Okay. For a relationship to honestly work on any level, you need to be able to communicate. The higher your communication level grows, the higher your relationship and bond grows; you get to understand each other, build trust, and all that jazz :^3. From where I'm standing, you seem unable to communicate effectively with your partner, and that's a problem. If you honestly want to save this relationship, then you need to sit her down and talk to her. Otherwise the relationship will end up crumbling, you'll grow fed up and the weight of your personal life along with her attitude will cause you to SNAP. Obviously, in your conversation, you'll divulge some things she doesn't want to hear--that's a good thing. If she wants to be in this relationship as much as you do, then she should be willing to listen and consider your opinion. Respect for your opinion should be shown (don't be afraid :^)). Just as you have changed yourself to try and accommodate her behaviour, she should try to adapt so that she can accommodate your financial/social/educational/personal standing. She may divulge some things she doesn't find so appealing about you (¬_¬ though I doubt it; I mean, c'mon!)--but, that's also good. You get a chance to understand her some more.
In the case that she attempts to avoid the discussion (starts behaving passive aggressive), you need to 'put your foot down'. Otherwise, the cycle will not end, and she will continue to indulge in your draining affection at your own expense.
In this situation I would say something along the lines of, "-Insert her name here-, I am trying to have a genuinely serious conversation about our relationship, because I take it, and you, seriously. I would appreciate if you at least listened to me so that I can share with you some concerns, and so that you can share yours with me. If you insists on ignoring me, then I'll have to ask for a 'break'. I've always tried to listen to you and have given so much to be with you, so please." <-- or something to that effect. And if she refuses, ignore her for a while; ignore her texts for a day or two, ignore phone calls (and such). This approach might seem childish, :^/ but if she decides to behave as a child, then treat her as one. An honest relationship is not something to joke about.
She'll obviously get angry, especially if you confront her about her 'illnesses', but sometimes certain things have to be done.

It's really not healthy to bottle up your opinions, especially negative ones. They'll eventually accumulate and consume you, then your relationship will wane because you've accumulated so much internal irritation and 'hatred' that's directly or indirectly targeted at this girl. If your relationship cannot take this strain at such an early stage (a few months) then you may be struggling to hold water between widely-spread fingers; your relationship will fall through. You can try to carry issues on your own, but with problems in your own life, will you be honestly able to handle it? You won't be able to give your 100% to her infinitely, especially if it means giving up a lot more than an 1hr:half journey or countless texts.

People usually get into relationships so that they can share in their problems, so that they can rely on one another. Kinda like a normal friendship, only with uhm...a few more benefits :colondollar:. She can obviously rely on you, but do you feel you can rely on her; in all physicality, mentality and emotionality?

And I know she's depressed. I don't know on what level of 'depression' she's at, but that is no excuse to discard your feelings within this relationship. I'm kinda like you; I've been depressed before (I've thought about running away and suicide before), but I've never been to the doctors. I didn't want them to label me as anything and get me mum all worried (she works in a mental clinic, so it'd be awkward). Trust me, I've wanted people's attention before...but encroaching on their time, life and well-being was not something that seemed at all like a good idea.
X^D While I was reading your description, I though, "Dude, she might just be manipulating you." And then I read on and discovered that you had already considered that possibility. <-- that made me kinda relieved. However, just because you know you might be in an emotionally manipulative situation, doesn't mean you fully comprehend the dangers of it.
^ Are you scared that if you act rashly, she might commit suicide, or do something to harm herself? Are you scared of the guilt that'll fester inside you? It's sweet that you're so dedicated and considerate, but you've got to be careful; there's a possibility that you could very well destroy each other if your relationship continues as is (well, worse case scenario, anyways).

I understand that this response is REALLY rather long, and I might have trailed off on many tangents, but I hope this helped. I'm not an expert, like I've previously stated, but if you'd like anymore help, then don't feel shy to ask. I pray you're able to work things out.

Oh you've got yourself a grade A nightmare there.

Going by what you've said I would suggest cut and run. What she is doing there is complete total and blatant emotional abuse. You dont give her what she wants, when she wants and how she wants she goes all pissy and gets you to crawling back acting as if its your fault and your at fault.

Just throwing it out there but does she use sex as a weapon, either with holding affection to spite you or using it as a way to get what she wants

She might not realise shes doing it or she might know full well how to twist you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Simple terms: tell her to stfu because you're sick of hearing her mouth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silverbolt
Oh you've got yourself a grade A nightmare there.

Going by what you've said I would suggest cut and run. What she is doing there is complete total and blatant emotional abuse. You dont give her what she wants, when she wants and how she wants she goes all pissy and gets you to crawling back acting as if its your fault and your at fault.

Just throwing it out there but does she use sex as a weapon, either with holding affection to spite you or using it as a way to get what she wants

She might not realise shes doing it or she might know full well how to twist you.

Agreed. My mum also suddenly gets "ill" or "depressed" when I do something she doesn't like like not talking to our physically abusive estranged father.

It might be something to do with this. I was on the implant and it really changed my moods and made me a different person tbh.
OP, you sound like an amazing boyfriend. You're not a dick at all!

Have you ever tried telling her how you feel when she says that you don't care about her? It must be quite hurtful for you because you always go out of your way to be incredibly supportive. You need to tell her that you love and care about her a lot, which is why it's hard for you to deal with her being in pain, but you can't help her because you're not a professional. Also make it clear that you asking her to see a doctor doesn't mean that you don't care enough, it just means that you have no idea how to deal with her illness and make her feel better!

She might get upset and angry, but she needs to hear your point-of-view, because she probably doesn't realise that her actions are hurting you.
Original post by ChickenMadness
sounds like me a year ago (although I never complained to anyone lol). Doctors never did manage to diagnose my symptoms lol. I've chalked it up to depression / stress / not eating / sleeping enough tbh.

:jumphug:
I think you just need to have a word with her tell her how much she means to you and that you don't want this to affect your relationship.

Once bloods are done and everything and it's clear whether it is more physical or psychological or maybe a bit of both, you should both try and make sure she gets the help she needs.

She's probably not attention seeking for the sake of it but rather she really feels like she needs you when she says. I'm going through a similar thing and the feelings are intense I can tell you and when I say I need my family I mean it and even if the symptoms subside shortly after they arrive it doesn't mean it wasn't real or was attention seeking! I mean think back to when you have the flu or when you felt unwell having someone who cares with you can ease symptoms or at least the worry that something will happen while you are alone. That is real!

But at the same time you have to make it clear that you have to look after yourself too.
Reply 17
I mean if you love her tell her all of your concerns and be honest becasue a relationship without honesty isn't one worth having. This being said I am at a point in my life where I am your girlfriend and have extremely low physical and mental health and consume a painstaking amount of medication in a hope of fixing it all. And I promise you feeling this low is so draining that I would do absolutely anything on this earth if it was guaranteed to 'change' me or make me 'normal' in terms of health and this is why I sympathise with your girlfriend becasue the constant complaining comes from a place of desperation as she will see you as her rock and have witnessed your ability to change her perception of relationships and it could be her way of begging you to do the same for the things you cannot change for her like her physical and mental health. You talk of her being diagnosed with depression and it's a diagnosis taken lightly as the illness is so phdically challenging as well as mentally and this could be the reasoning behind the constant illness and uplift once you arrive because you have cheered her up and that has weakened the physical strain of depression. If you want to help her I can promise the biggest and best thing you could do is step back and either decide if you are willing and able to take on the implications of a mentally ill partner and if so promoting professional help or books and things so your girlfriend will have something other than you to rely on to relieve her symptoms of mental health. You sound like you're really trying and a great guy but it sucks to have to say this but the feeling of drained depression she makes you FEEL is one you have the option to expose yourself to and your girlfriend more likely than not is consumed and trapped in these feelings and can't escape quite as easy
(edited 7 years ago)

OP, a relationship is two ways. This is 1000% one sided. You look after her, you give her attention, you help her, you comfort her. What if you're ill one day? What will she say? "suck it up, I'm more ill than you" ?! What if you need her to come comfort you?

This is not a normal, nor healthy relationship.

We understand you love her - but honestly, if the extent of the relationship is this, then I question, what do you love about her? That she is always support of you studying? That she wants you to put your education first? That she supports you and comforts you in your time of need? That she is such a laugh, and you can be yourself around her? NO NO and NO.

Ask yourself what you love about her.

I think you think you love her, but more so, that you're afraid to end it with her because you don't want to be alone, and you're afraid of what she may say/do.

There's a reason why therapy costs £60 /hr !

Once you realise that you want more from a relationship, you will find it easy to move on.

Try and check her reaction. When you don't show too much sympathy and you put yourself first, see what she says - if she is passive aggressive. Ignore her. If she wants to kick up a fuss "you don't love me " etc . say something like "I'm sorry, lets talk about this later, I'm a little tied up". Or if she says she is ill say "yeah" . Keep it short and sweet and enjoy your own day! Once you stop feeding her the attention she wants, we will see how she copes.
This thread is a year old.

Latest

Trending

Trending