The Student Room Group

Which unis accept General Studies?

I am interested in doing History and Politics when I go to uni and when I've been looking through some of the entry requirements it does not specify whether General Studies is accepted or not. Does anyone know from past experience what universities accept General Studies and/or include it in the offer? Also, what does it mean if it says that General Studies is 'welcomed' but 'not included' as part of the offer?
Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by riccardomacor
I am interested in doing History and Politics when I go to uni and when I've been looking through some of the entry requirements it does not specify whether General Studies is accepted or not. Does anyone know from past experience what universities accept General Studies and/or include it in the offer? Also, what does it mean if it says that General Studies is 'accepted' but 'not included' as part of the offer?
Thanks

In general, the less good ones but you would have to go through the requirements of each yourself to be sure.

As for your final point, that appears to be a bit odd. Which uni is it?
I meant 'welcomed' not 'accepted', but this was Manchester Uni and I think Newcastle also said it was accepted
If it is "welcomed" but not "accepted" then it is not able to form part of the offer. Basically, if you are doing General Studies then that's great, but the offer requirements will be based on your other A level subjects. You often see similar things for EPQ, Critical Thinking, etc. - unis don't accept them to be as good as other A levels, so they can't count towards the offer, but doing them may still help you slightly (hence "welcomed") - i.e. they may be slightly more likely to give you an offer than someone not taking the extra subject, or they are trying to recommend that you still put some effort into General Studies even though it is not part of your offer since it may still be helpful for you in terms of studying at uni (e.g. the teaching style - at my school, GS was taught in lectures much like at uni, you learn to think about broader ideas, you have to write essays, etc,).
My friend has an offer from Manchester that includes general studies - but it may be because his course isn't that popular (history and arabic)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending