The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Catered accommodation food for vegetarians?

Hi,

I've got an offer from durham and am considering it however I've been allocated College of St HIld & St Bede from what I've seen online this wouldn't be my first choice as its catered, i really do not want to live in catered accommodation, I've lived away from home for two years and i love cooking and hate the idea of having to eat when and what someone else decides :/ . But also I'm vegetarian and have a few food allergies which I'm guessing wouldn't be great in catered, can anyone let me know there experience of the catering and the college in general? Thankks :smile:
Hi,

You wont be able to swap colleges I'm afraid as it's university policy unless you have an incredibly good reason (usually only on the basis of health/ religion etc.) I guess if your food allergies were especially severe and a doctor recommended self catered you *might* be considered, however they are also quite likely to point out that in catered they will be able to cater for you, and that in self catered sharing a kitchen with other people actually makes it more likely that cross contamination etc. will occur (no matter how careful you try to be). However I wouldn't be too worried, the catering in my experience is very good! Time wise, every meal time takes places over quite a long time so you have some flexibility in when you eat.

Breakfasts have some hot options (including egg, beans and veggie sausages) and also toast, cereal, fruit, yoghurt etc. I think it's served between 7.30 and 9.30 ish?
At the weekend Brunch then includes all the above plus pastries, and normal lunch stuff like salad and sandwiches. I believe this is from about 11.30am to 2pm? If you want to be up early they also do breakfast at normal time too.

Lunches normally include 4 different hot options, 2 vegetarian, and you help yourself to carbohydrates and vegetables. There is also a really nice salad bar, plus pre made sandwiches (lots of options) or a 'deli' option where you can make your own having chosen your bread and filling. For lunchtimes when you wont be in college you can also order a packed lunch which includes what you would expect! This is from 11.30 to 2pm

Dinners again have 4 hot options, 2 of which are always vegetarian, plus the same self service of carbs/ veg/ salad. There's also pudding. You can also get sandwiches if you prefer cold food in the evening. I think dinner is usually 5-7.30 ish? You can also order late dinner too if you're going to be out!

They're also incredibly good at catering for food allergies! I have friends who are lactose intolerant, coeliac or have nut allergies and they were all ok!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hey :smile:
What pianofluteftw has said is all correct, I'd like to add that:

1) you usually don't live in college accommodation for your whole degree, most people live out in second year and you have choice in third year of whether you want to live in or not, so you'll definitely be able to cook for yourself for most of your degree if you want

2) there is the option of living out in first year - this is usually not recommended because college is where you make most of your friends, but it is possible

3) it's so convenient to have meals cooked for you! I adore cooking but at Durham life is so busy that I rarely have the time to make a special meal and usually just cook simple dishes in batches (I'm in my second year)
Reply 3
Original post by pianofluteftw
Hi,

You wont be able to swap colleges I'm afraid as it's university policy unless you have an incredibly good reason (usually only on the basis of health/ religion etc.) I guess if your food allergies were especially severe and a doctor recommended self catered you *might* be considered, however they are also quite likely to point out that in catered they will be able to cater for you, and that in self catered sharing a kitchen with other people actually makes it more likely that cross contamination etc. will occur (no matter how careful you try to be). However I wouldn't be too worried, the catering in my experience is very good! Time wise, every meal time takes places over quite a long time so you have some flexibility in when you eat.

Breakfasts have some hot options (including egg, beans and veggie sausages) and also toast, cereal, fruit, yoghurt etc. I think it's served between 7.30 and 9.30 ish?
At the weekend Brunch then includes all the above plus pastries, and normal lunch stuff like salad and sandwiches. I believe this is from about 11.30am to 2pm? If you want to be up early they also do breakfast at normal time too.

Lunches normally include 4 different hot options, 2 vegetarian, and you help yourself to carbohydrates and vegetables. There is also a really nice salad bar, plus pre made sandwiches (lots of options) or a 'deli' option where you can make your own having chosen your bread and filling. For lunchtimes when you wont be in college you can also order a packed lunch which includes what you would expect! This is from 11.30 to 2pm

Dinners again have 4 hot options, 2 of which are always vegetarian, plus the same self service of carbs/ veg/ salad. There's also pudding. You can also get sandwiches if you prefer cold food in the evening. I think dinner is usually 5-7.30 ish? You can also order late dinner too if you're going to be out!

They're also incredibly good at catering for food allergies! I have friends who are lactose intolerant, coeliac or have nut allergies and they were all ok!

That sounds like a particularly great range of food! Which college is this information based on :smile:? I'm vegan, so all the more concerned....
Reply 4
Original post by Sim0ne
That sounds like a particularly great range of food! Which college is this information based on :smile:? I'm vegan, so all the more concerned....

All of the colleges offer extremely similar catering. This is typical for all of the colleges
Reply 5
It sounds great!
How much do you pay per month?
I will need a room by Jan 2018. I don't want to cook :frown:

Original post by pianofluteftw
Hi,

Quick Reply

Latest