The Student Room Group

Do you think my paragraphs are too long? 6000 word essay!

So, I've been writing a 6000 word essay for one of my law degree modules. I've only ever written an essay even half this size and I'm worried about my structure so far. I've done around 3500 words, but my paragraphs seem huge. I feel like the essay flows pretty well, but I'm still a bit worried. I have 9 paragraphs so far, the biggest paragraph being 550 words and they all tend to be between 450-550 words minus the introduction, my preliminary paragraphs etc.

What do you think?
Bump ;_;
Hard to say without reading them, but of course I understand you can't post a 6k essay on here :biggrin: Keep each paragraph centered around one point. If you go to make another point, start a new paragraph about it.

My opinion would be that the length of your paragraph isn't hugely important compared to the content. So If you're writing sentences (or even just words) that aren't 100% essential then it's a complete waste and you're only increasing the size of the paragraph for no good reason. If you think your paragraphs are too big, look through them for anything, literally singular words, phrases or sentences that aren't imperative on keeping. Remove them and see if your paragraph still demonstrates the same point without them. If it does, keep them out, they're useless. This'll also free up your word count to make more points and help you write more concisely.

Edit: Look at how long my paragraph is because I went into unnecessary detail explaining it :wink:

Hope it helps ^^

Tl;DR
Quality>Quantity
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply