The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

UEA, Bristol and Bath for politics

I have all my offers for politics and international relations and it's come down to bristol, bath and uea. I've been round UEA and bristol and prefer the course and uni at norwich but I think bristol as a city has more about it, I spend a lot of time down in London for gigs and that (oo, so cultural). But my main worry about uea is that the career prospects appear to be a bit dodgy. Was just wondering what people's experiences of these unis and cities is? I'm not keen on bath because it has that small town vibe and already live in a small, posh town so really want to mix things up a bit.

Sorry for the essay, but if anyone could help that'd be lovely, really struggling here
Reply 1
Original post by ffs murray
I have all my offers for politics and international relations and it's come down to bristol, bath and uea. I've been round UEA and bristol and prefer the course and uni at norwich but I think bristol as a city has more about it, I spend a lot of time down in London for gigs and that (oo, so cultural). But my main worry about uea is that the career prospects appear to be a bit dodgy. Was just wondering what people's experiences of these unis and cities is? I'm not keen on bath because it has that small town vibe and already live in a small, posh town so really want to mix things up a bit.

Sorry for the essay, but if anyone could help that'd be lovely, really struggling here

Hey!
Im going to be studying Politics + IR this year at either Bristol or plain Politics at Warwick (haven't decided fully but edging towards Bristol). I would 100% say you should choose between Bristol or Bath because UEA is not that highly regarded and after uni you want to know that you're going to be employable and not close doors before even getting your degree. Bristol kind of has the best of both worlds. Want a campus? Choose Stoke Bishop accommodation. Want a city? Well choose city centre accommodation? Want countryside? Again choose Stoke Bishop which has some amazing views and is much quieter yet still only 15 minutes by a free uni bus.
I have to admit I found the politics department at bristol quite weak and unorganised but then I did realise it is considerably small with only 100 places so should be a more personalised department (and quite a lot of people i know got rejected so it must be very competitive) All the best with whatever decision you make :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by Age
Hey!
Im going to be studying Politics + IR this year at either Bristol or plain Politics at Warwick (haven't decided fully but edging towards Bristol). I would 100% say you should choose between Bristol or Bath because UEA is not that highly regarded and after uni you want to know that you're going to be employable and not close doors before even getting your degree. Bristol kind of has the best of both worlds. Want a campus? Choose Stoke Bishop accommodation. Want a city? Well choose city centre accommodation? Want countryside? Again choose Stoke Bishop which has some amazing views and is much quieter yet still only 15 minutes by a free uni bus.
I have to admit I found the politics department at bristol quite weak and unorganised but then I did realise it is considerably small with only 100 places so should be a more personalised department (and quite a lot of people i know got rejected so it must be very competitive) All the best with whatever decision you make :smile:

Thanks mate, I was planning on having UEA as an insurance and bristol as my firm from the start but after going round both, the department at uea seemed head and shoulders above bristol (as some league tables now show) but always had the prestige of Bristol in the back of my mind, I loved the city but not really the department or course. Uea also threw a spanner in the works by giving me an unconditional if I firm it so it's just a tough decision, hope you end up happy with your decision too bud and maybe see you next year aha
Reply 3
Original post by ffs murray
Thanks mate, I was planning on having UEA as an insurance and bristol as my firm from the start but after going round both, the department at uea seemed head and shoulders above bristol (as some league tables now show) but always had the prestige of Bristol in the back of my mind, I loved the city but not really the department or course. Uea also threw a spanner in the works by giving me an unconditional if I firm it so it's just a tough decision, hope you end up happy with your decision too bud and maybe see you next year aha

I wouldn't let the unconditional sway you because even if you were to miss your Bristol offer uea would 100% still take you since the fact they even offered you an unconditional place so it's arguably unconditional either way :smile:
Yeah I completely agree Bristols politics department is slacking so much but everything else apart from the course is perfect. If only I could get the warwick degree but live in Bristol haha.
Thanks so much, and let me know which one you end up going with :smile:
I've firmed UEA (for a different course) and I'm local so if you have any questions about norwich or maybe the uni then I might be able to help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Everyone I know at Bath complains about the city and they all come up to Bristol often for nights out.
UEA I wouldn't really consider to be on the same level at all.
Bristol I would say is for sure the best bet for prestige, city, etc. Maybe insurance UEA.
Lots of advice on choosing Firm & Insurance here :http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices

In particular, think carefully about which course you want to do (not which Uni or nebulous nonsense like 'prestige') and which offer grades you are most likely to fulfill.

TSR article on studying Politics here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Politics_Degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending