The Student Room Group

Daughter of Somali immigrants accepted into all 8 Ivy League schools

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Hatsune Miku
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/minnesota-teen-munira-khalif-accepted-all-eight-ivy-league-schools-n338661

As a Somali immigrant myself I feel incredibly proud and inspired by this story, I love it when ethnic minorities are represented in such a fantastic way. This story would break regardless of whether the student was an immigrant or a national/native, it's a remarkable achievement and I'm very happy for her :biggrin:

What do you guys think?

Unlike some other kids she had enough support from the welfare so it does not wonders.
Reply 61
Original post by poohat
blah blah blah, Indians/Chinese/Jews/etc all do fine in white society and even outperform whites, blacks are just a uniquely dysfunctional group. Everyone else manages ok.

Its also worth poinitng that there are no countries on earth where blacks do well. African countries are awful, blacks in Europe/America do badly, blacks in 100% non-racist countries like Brazil do badly, etc etc. There is a constant factor here, and it isnt 'white racism'.

100% truth in this post right here. Absolutely cannot be disputed at all.
Reply 62
Original post by poohat
You are mentally ill. I would recommend a psychiatrist.

The saddest thing is that your attitude is so common in the US black community and is partly responsible for their failures - a huge sense of victimhood and a genuine belief that their failings are entirely the fault of others.

The black community should take a serious look at groups like Jews/Indians/Irish - they have historically suffered just as much discrimination as blacks, but have responded to it by developing a culture which values success and striving, rather than victimhood and violence. As a result, they now do better than whites.

lol I said literally the exact same thing to this guy before!

He is just troll with a victim complex. This is just his latest account. He made like about 30 different accounts under the name of 'mikemanc' followed by some random number but always with the same picture. Loves trolling the TSR with black victimhood stuff. Facts mean nothing to him.

Now he is trying a different name and picture but posting the exact same nonsense in the exact same style. Like you I have tried but you simply cannot get through to him.

Just report him and save your energy.
Original post by poohat
Again you fail to give any convincing reason why all these factors magically only seem to have a negative impact on black people, and why they do not prevent Indians/Chinese/Jews/etc from out-performing whites. I also think you have the direction of causality backwards - you assume that blacks do badly due to the negative stereotypes, while it seems equally likely that the negative stereotypes exist partly due to how black people behave. Again, other groups have also faced bad stereotypes yet managed to overcome them - Irish people have been viewed as inferior throughout most of history, Indians faced huge amounts of discrimination in the UK until fairly recently, the Jewish situation is complex but they have clearly faced severe discrimination throughout history, etc.

(your previous "Jews are white" comment is quite historically ignorant, Jews were not viewed as being white until very recently)

Have you noticed this "Asians are doing really great !!" is never pushed by Asians themselves - Why is that ? I would like to see how well these “Asians” would do, if their first, second, third, fourth, fifth and lets say sixth generations were slaves and after that they would be kicked out to handle themselves in the face of deeply ingrained cultural racism.

How would these geniuses manage with no education, no money, no funds, no clothes ? Would they outscore white in schools, in their own schools that is, not in the same ones the whites are going ? Would they surge to the top of the society from their ghettos were they would be forced to live in by institutional racism ?

And yes, lets not forget the tamils. How many of them are thriving in American society ? How many tamils are among the top scorers ? They should be there since they asians too.

Racism comes in part from the hang-ups white people have about people not being white. So some of it will apply to anyone who looks who is not white. That part applies to both blacks and Asians. But part of the racism comes from the need to excuse the unfair advantages whites have, something that grows out of their ugly, skinhead past of genocide, slavery and Jim Crow.

That part applies more to blacks than to Asians. That makes blacks a way bigger threat to white self-image than Asians.

Therefore whites need to think that there is something profoundly wrong with black people. Model minority Asians help to maintain that picture.

It's two different ethnicities with two different histories when dealing with the West, and America in particular. Two vastly different immigration policies, now and historically.

Imagine if America was built by Chinese slave labour and most of the Africans that were allowed into the country were doctors and engineers and university students, though some poor Africans were allowed in after America’s misadventures in the Angolan War. Would it then be right to to say :

“Look how well the Africans do! They come here with nothing, and they’re not even white! What’s wrong with the Chinese? It can’t be racism.”

Your argument about Asians doing 'well' is like you having your leg blown off in an industrial accident, it would matter to you that many people with only one leg go on to succeed.

And I wouldn’t use Jewish success in Europe as your golden example. All that proves is that if you manage to escape the lesser racism of glass ceilings, you will only live to face more blatant exercises of it in genocide.
Reply 64
Original post by poohat
There are two much simpler explanations of why blacks fail at US universities:

1) Affirmative action and diversity policies result in blacks being admitted to colleges which are above their level of ability, and they cannot cope, since they are much worse than their white/asian classmates who had to pass a higher bar to be admitted. See: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=mismatch+hypothesis+affirmative+action&spell=1

2) Because there is always a degree of measurement error on tests such as SATs (in that sometimes a person will do extremely well/badly on a particular paper due to 'luck') and since black students have much lower average SAT scores than white/asian students, a black student who receives a high score is more likely to have got it by luck than a white/asian student, and so is less likely to be able to maintain that level of performance in the future due to simple regression to the mean. See: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-985X.2012.01072.x/abstract

Stop using nebulous claims of nonexistent 'racism' to justify underachievement, it is ridiculous and there is absolutely zero evidence for it. There is no such thing as 'white privilege', and the 'white' environments of universities dont stop Asians doing extremely well (better than whites, on average)

By what mechanism is being black make you luckier than none blacks? If blacks score higher by luck, that is by chance, why does that not apply to none blacks?
Original post by poohat
You are mentally ill. I would recommend a psychiatrist.

The saddest thing is that your attitude is so common in the US black community and is partly responsible for their failures - a huge sense of victimhood and a genuine belief that their failings are entirely the fault of others.

The black community should take a serious look at groups like Jews/Indians/Irish - they have historically suffered just as much discrimination as blacks, but have responded to it by developing a culture which values success and striving, rather than victimhood and violence. As a result, they now do better than whites.

The average black African also outperforms the average white person in the UK and probably in America as well.

What failures? It is a socioeconomic phenomenon, whites and Indians that are in poverty stricken areas fail in education as well and I think we all know the class of most Jews anyway, they are rarely found in such places. There are plenty of successful black people in this country, but you are a fool if you believe that there aren't some barriers and social hurdles that have to be crossed first.
Reply 66
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
The average black African also outperforms the average white person in the UK and probably in America as well.
No, that is not true.

What failures? It is a socioeconomic phenomenon, whites and Indians that are in poverty stricken areas fail in education as well and I think we all know the class of most Jews anyway, they are rarely found in such places. There are plenty of successful black people in this country, but you are a fool if you believe that there aren't some barriers and social hurdles that have to be crossed first.
That is not true either. Blacks born into families earning over $200k/year do not out perform whites born into families earning $20k/year. Controlling for income/socioeconomic status does not come even remotely close to eliminating the achievement gap, this is very well known.

Also you are leaving out the question of why black people tend to be poor in the first place, which is a worldwide phenomena which exists in black countries (Africa), white countries (Europe, etc), mixed-race countries (Brazil, etc) and is almost entirely predicted by test scores taken in early childhood and adolescence
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by poohat
No, that is not true.

That is not true either. Blacks born into families earning $150k/year do not out perform whites born into families earning $20k/year. Controlling for income/socioeconomic status does not come even remotely close to eliminating the achievement gap, this is very well known.

Lol, denial at its finest.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/365276/explaining-test-score-gap-thomas-sowell

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/mar/22/white-british-children-outperformed-by-minorities

Now if you could kindly show me the stats for your bold claim that black people born in families earning 150k/yr perform less than white people that are born into families earning 20k/yr?
Reply 68
The only African groups mentioned in that article are Ghanaians and Nigerians, both of which are well known to be highly self-selected (and high achieving) immigrant groups. The average black (or African) in the UK does not outperform the average white. You cant just pick out the two countries that have very favorable immigration patterns and ignore the groups that are disasters (eg somalians).

If all blacks in the UK/US were like the Ghanaian/Nigerian communities with a culture of high-achievement who had been selected through the immigration system to be intelligent and middle-class then there wouldnt be a problem, and we wouldnt be having this discussion. Sadly, this is not the case.

Now if you could kindly show me the stats for your bold claim that black people born in families earning 150k/yr perform less than white people that are born into families earning 20k/yr?
See graphic in my previous post.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by poohat
The only African group mentioned in that group is Ghanaians, which is a very self-selected high achieving immigrant group. The average black in the UK does not outperform the average white. You cant just pick out the one country that has very favorable immigration patterns and ignore the groups that are disasters (eg somalians)

See graphic in my previous post.

I can only assume you're unable to read as you ignored a huge chunk of the opening paragraphs. It says, "Nine minority groups of children are above the average, including Bangladeshi, Ghanaian, Indian, Sierra Leonean and Vietnamese, data reveals" and "White British children are outperformed at school by a wide range of ethnic minority groups, including Chinese, Sri Lankan and Nigerian youngsters", these are both mentioned in the first two paragraphs of the article.

I didn't say the average black person, I said the average black African, I can tell I'm going to have to constantly repeat myself with you. Kind of says a lot that black people that haven't been completely integrated with British society and culture are more likely to get better grades. That graphic you posted is as good as as if you went on excel and drew a table, kindly point me to the source?

And now you're blaming favourable immigration policies, you changed your tune quick :lol:
Original post by poohat
The only African groups mentioned in that article are Ghanaians and Nigerians, both of which are well known to be highly self-selected (and high achieving) immigrant groups. The average black (or African) in the UK does not outperform the average white. You cant just pick out the two countries that have very favorable immigration patterns and ignore the groups that are disasters (eg somalians).

If all blacks in the UK/US were like the Ghanaian/Nigerian communities with a culture of high-achievement who had been selected through the immigration system to be intelligent and middle-class then there wouldnt be a problem, and we wouldnt be having this discussion. Sadly, this is not the case.

So many bold claims, not one single source. Now these people have been selected to be 'intelligent and middle class?' Do you hear yourself? So when applying for residency, the British immigration policies request their school reports to prove that they are intelligent enough to live here?
Reply 71
I can only assume you're unable to read as you ignored a huge chunk of the opening paragraphs. It says, "Nine minority groups of children are above the average, including Bangladeshi, Ghanaian, Indian, Sierra Leonean and Vietnamese, data reveals" and "White British children are outperformed at school by a wide range of ethnic minority groups, including Chinese, Sri Lankan and Nigerian youngsters", these are both mentioned in the first two paragraphs of the article.See edit, I missed the Nigerian part. Both Ghanians and Nigerians are known to be good immigrant groups. There are less than 20k Sierra Leoneans in the UK, its too small a group to count for anything.

I didn't say the average black person, I said the average black African, I can tell I'm going to have to constantly repeat myself with you.
When you said the 'average black African", I assumed you actually meant the average black African - who in case you havent realised, is living in Africa, not Britain.

The average African in Africa (including places like Ghana, Nigeria, etc) does much worse than the average white person in Britain. The average black/African living in Britain does worse than the average white person in Britain. However the Ghanian community in the UK tend to do well, because these immigranys typically came from the upper strata of Ghana - they arent even remotely close to being a random sample from those countries.

Kind of says a lot that black people that haven't been completely integrated with British society and culture are more likely to get better grades.
No, its because Ghanians in the UK typically came from (upper-)middle class backgrounds in Ghana. They are a highly selected immigrant group. This is common knowledge.

Also, first generation immigrants typically perform better than average (partly due to self-selection) but it is unclear how long these effects last. At least in the US, there is evidence that African immigrants regress to the low black average within a single generation: http://home.uchicago.edu/~arauh/Rauh2014a.pdf

edit: there is probably also a London effect too, afaik white children in London also tend to out-perform the average UK white. Its probably some combination of targeted spending and the general decay of northern england.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by poohat
See edit, I missed the Nigerian part. Both Ghanians and Nigerians are known to be good immigrant groups. There are less than 20k Sierra Leoneans in the UK, its too small a group to count for anything.

When you said the 'average black African", I assumed you actually meant the average black African - who in case you havent realised, is living in Africa, not Britain.

The average African in Africa (including places like Ghana, Nigeria, etc) does much worse than the average white person in Britain. The average black/African living in Britain does worse than the average white person in Britain. However the Ghanian and Nigerian communities in the UK tend to do well, because these immigrant groups came from the upper strata of Ghana/Nigeria - they arent even remotely close to being a random sample from those countries.

No, its because Ghanians/Nigerians in the UK overwhelmingly came from (upper-)middle class backgrounds in Ghana/Nigeria. They are highly selected immigrant groups. This is common knowledge.

Also, first generation immigrants typically perform better than average (partly due to self-selection) but it is unclear how long these effects last. At least in the US, there is evidence that African immigrants regress to the low black average within a single generation: http://home.uchicago.edu/~arauh/Rauh2014a.pdf

Sigh. What is a 'good immigrant group'? What the hell is that? Now I'd give a long reply to this nonsense you've posted but you're just going to keep on making up excuses like 'african immigrants use self-selection' or 'Sierra leonians are such a small group, they shouldn't be counted' except that's exactly how statistics works isn't, by sampling?

And how would you know that the average African living in Africa isn't performing better than the average white British person? Where's your proof for that? That's right, you have none.

I'm not wasting further time here, I've given you proof and explained things to you, yet you come up with excuses and I have better things to do with my time, excuse me.
Reply 73
Sigh. What is a 'good immigrant group'? What the hell is that? Now I'd give a long reply to this nonsense you've posted but you're just going to keep on making up excuses like 'african immigrants use self-selection' or 'Sierra leonians are such a small group, they shouldn't be counted' except that's exactly how statistics works isn't, by sampling?

And how would you know that the average African living in Africa isn't performing better than the average white British person? Where's your proof for that? That's right, you have none.

I'm not wasting further time here, I've given you proof and explained things to you, yet you come up with excuses and I have better things to do with my time, excuse me.

You are insufferable - I have provided numerous links to academic papers to support the various claims I’ve made in this thread, while you have contributed nothing except a pissy attitude and a completely unjustified sense of self-righteousness.

Here are some stiatistics for US immigrants, UK patterns are broadly similar: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/1999/06/carringt.htm . 75% of immigrants from Ghana had a degree when they arrived (Table 1). This is not a random sample of Ghanians (how many people in Ghana do you think have a degree?). The brightest people in Ghana/Nigeria typically migrate to the UK/US - these immigrant groups are not reflective of the average Africa, they are broadly made up of the smartest people from those countries. If they didnt do slightly better than the average UK person then there would be something seriously wrong.

This stuff is really well-known - African brain drain is now considered a genuine problem since the first thing that many of the smartest Africans do when they get degrees is leave for Europe/America, which means the countries lose skilled workers almost as fast as they produce them. if you weren’t aware of this then you should really drop the smug attitude since you are pretty ignorant and could stand to learn some basic facts.

edit: you should also be aware that while the Ghanian/Nigerian UK/US communities tend to be highly educated since they had to satisfy fairly strict criteria to be allowed to immigrate into the UK/US, there are also communities such as Somalians who tended to get to the UK through asylum seeking and hence tend to do far, far less well since they are not a highly selected population - high crime rates, low educational achievement, low income, etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by poohat
blah blah blah, Indians/Chinese/Jews/etc all do fine in white society and even outperform whites, blacks are just a uniquely dysfunctional group. Everyone else manages ok.

Its also worth poinitng that there are no countries on earth where blacks do well. African countries are awful, blacks in Europe/America do badly, blacks in 100% non-racist countries like Brazil do badly, etc etc. There is a constant factor here, and it isnt 'white racism'.

Brazil 100% non-racist.... hah! You must be joking.
Reply 75
Would never happen here America is still so much better at social mobility then Britain despite the huge inequality there. Oxbridge should learn a few lessons from the Ivy league.
Original post by EatAndRevise
Affirmative Action much?

so you are implying that she couldn't do it off her own merit?
why is that?
Original post by poohat
You are insufferable - I have provided numerous links to academic papers to support the various claims I’ve made in this thread, while you have contributed nothing except a pissy attitude and a completely unjustified sense of self-righteousness.

Here are some stiatistics for US immigrants, UK patterns are broadly similar: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/1999/06/carringt.htm . 75% of immigrants from Ghana had a degree when they arrived (Table 1). This is not a random sample of Ghanians (how many people in Ghana do you think have a degree?). The brightest people in Ghana/Nigeria typically migrate to the UK/US - these immigrant groups are not reflective of the average Africa, they are broadly made up of the smartest people from those countries. If they didnt do slightly better than the average UK person then there would be something seriously wrong.

This stuff is really well-known - African brain drain is now considered a genuine problem since the first thing that many of the smartest Africans do when they get degrees is leave for Europe/America, which means the countries lose skilled workers almost as fast as they produce them. if you weren’t aware of this then you should really drop the smug attitude since you are pretty ignorant and could stand to learn some basic facts.

edit: you should also be aware that while the Ghanian/Nigerian UK/US communities tend to be highly educated since they had to satisfy fairly strict criteria to be allowed to immigrate into the UK/US, there are also communities such as Somalians who tended to get to the UK through asylum seeking and hence tend to do far, far less well since they are not a highly selected population - high crime rates, low educational achievement, low income, etc.

Hi, I wrote this post previously, just some data you may find interesting. It somewhat agrees with your argument. I don't understand, however, why you generalize about whether "black" people are "coping?" in "US/UK", while bizarrely acknowledging the success of self-selected African groups??

1) First of all, Black Africans are among the most credentialed in the UK (university-level):
http://www.ethnicity.ac.uk/medialibr...n-changing.pdf

2) Black Africans are almost exactly represented at Russell Group universities according to their proportion of the British population
https://62e528761d0685343e1c-f3d1b99...1396964830.jpg

3) For young elite* British people:
It should be noted that "Once educational characteristics are taken into account, most ethnic minority groups have a higher likelihood of being unemployed than their White peers."

but looking at raw data:

"Some groups, such as Indians and Black Africans, manage to have higher earnings than their White peers"

and

"The results from these models show that employed graduates in the Indian and Black African groups do better than their White peers. However, female Bangladeshi graduates have lower earnings than their White peers. In most instances, male graduates’ earnings compared to their White peers were higher than females’, especially for Indian graduates."
http://www.runnymedetrust.org/upload...IsntEnough.pdf
* elite - those educated at Russell Group unis

and 4) Black African children perform on par with white British children at the GCSEs
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...Text_FINAL.pdf [page 10]

The data suggest a factor of ethnicity/culture, not race or skin colour, is playing a part in differential outcomes among British youths. This can be reasonably inferred, as Black Caribbean children do not show similar performance for items 1 to 4. We could lazily blame culture, or we could consider that time-of-arrival in the UK/social class in native country may play a role in employment/educational outcomes in British immigrant communities, but that would require much more advanced statistical data analysis, and less alarmist newspaper headlines - and who wants that?

Sincerely,
coutingdown,
STEM Ph.D.
I am i the only one who believes under acheiving whites who go to better schools use affirmative action as an excuse to address their failures. Affirmative action which is not used these days was created to counter balance black students being rejected for less smart whites due to racism, there are many cases. But now the practise has all together stopped.

I dont want to sound racist but this is going to increase due to students being judged oN equal footing. I dont want to say white students have been found out but it does show signs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending