The Student Room Group

Is this too much??

My parents got mad at me because I said I was saving up for Louis Vuitton trainers as a one off. They are £400 which to me is expensive but its not crazy considering theres shoes worth thousands.

My father started lecturing me saying I was a snob and who do I think I am? I really didn't think it was a big deal to buy them because they aren't THAT expensive. Anyone could get them if they saved up.

I was only going to save like £30 per month.. My parents are talking now downstairs as if £400 is a tone of money as if I am rediculous for spending that?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frostyjoe
My parents got mad at me because I said I was saving up for Louis Vuitton trainers as a one off. They are £400 which to me is expensive but its not crazy considering theres shoes worth thousands.

My father started lecturing me saying I was a snob and who do I think I am? I really didn't think it was a big deal to buy them because they aren't THAT expensive. Anyone could get them if they saved up.

I was only going to save like £30 per month..

Well it does depend what kind of background you have.....

I personally have a background picture of Batman killing a shark.
I would agree with your dad. Id just think about what else that £400 could be spent on. Then again that's just me, I never like spending money on things like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Well obviously we aren't rich but we aren't poor either so I was really shocked at their reaction. I can save the £400 up in several months.

I never seen myself as a stuck person.
£400 seems like ALOT for shoes especially if you are not making your own money. If you are then its your money and you can spend it however you like. I personally would not buy them....
Reply 5
Well idk? I see people who are younger than me with like £2000 handbags and I have looked on websites and there are shoes worth like £3,000 so for me its not extremely expensive.

I can't get them now because my dad will blow up but i'm 19 now and I should be able to spend my money on whatever I want. Just in total shock at their reaction!

It wouldn't be like I spent £400 at that point because I would be saving up for them aswell.
You'd spend £400 on a pair of shoes? Additionally, the first five responses didn't point out how ridiculous that is.

I can't express how moronic all this is.
I'd say it's ridiculous. £400 for shoes? I had a hard enough time settling on a £40 pair. However, if you're working a job and earning your own money then there's nothing stopping you. Just be aware that £400 can go on paying bills, feeding you for a little while (note, little) or other essentials.

Worth noting that I may just have a biased opinion as I come from a family not too well off. As someone who'd sooner wear his dads old hoodie over buying his own to put that money to a better use, I'm never going to understand the mentality behind the pricing of designer clothes :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by FireGarden
You'd spend £400 on a pair of shoes? Additionally, the first five responses didn't point out how ridiculous that is.

I can't express how moronic all this is.

No it was just for a one off so that I could say that I have them. I wasn't going to buy them again.

It is different when you save up for them.
£400 on trainers is ridiculous. Never mind the fact that LV trainers are just chavy and not classy at all. You're better off saving it and buying something that is worth £400. Cos that certainly isn't.
No it was just for a one off so that I could say that I have them. I wasn't going to buy them again.

"so that I could say that I have them."

Really? You want £400 trainers just so you can say you have Louis Vuitton trainers?
The fact that you are even considering this just shows how childish and immature all this really is. You might want to think twice about spending that much on something just so you can show them off to your friends.

What does it really achieve to say you have them? How can that possibly matter?

£400 can do a lot more than make walking a bit more fun.
Original post by scrunkie
£400 on trainers is ridiculous. Never mind the fact that LV trainers are just chavy and not classy at all. You're better off saving it and buying something that is worth £400. Cos that certainly isn't.

Really? You want £400 trainers just so you can say you have Louis Vuitton trainers?
The fact that you are even considering this just shows how childish and immature all this really is. You might want to think twice about spending that much on something just so you can show them off to your friends.

Good to see somebody gets it!!
Reply 13

Eh it wasn't too show off, I always buy clothing from brands that teens don't buy like Guess because I hate having the same clothes as everyone else. I would never be caught dead with A&F yuck.
Reply 14
Original post by FireGarden
What does it really achieve to say you have them? How can that possibly matter?

£400 can do a lot more than make walking a bit more fun.

Well I know but not everyone is poor so you need to get some perspective. I can't buy them now anyway.
Reply 15
I would be mad too if my child wasted £400 on a pair of trainers just so they could brag about the brand name. Yes, £400 isn't a lot but it is for a pair of trainers.
(edited 9 years ago)
You'll always find "more expensive things" out there but that doesn't justify the price of what you're buying. If you've ever worked before, you'd realise how much money that really is but as some other people have said, it depends on your background and you might just want to splash out on something really nice
OP needs a reality check. You should have grown out of this mentality by 15.
Eh it wasn't too show off, I always buy clothing from brands that teens don't buy like Guess because I hate having the same clothes as everyone else. I would never be caught dead with A&F yuck.

that does sound pretty snobbish

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah £400 is too much

have to agree with your dad - sorry, OP

Quick Reply

Latest