The Student Room Group

Imperial or Warwick for straight maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manraj97
what makes you say that they are on the same level for academic rep?
on every worldwide university reputation ranking, imperial is significantly higher than warwick, even specifically for mathematics

I think he was talking about UK employers' perception, Warwick is considered at least as good for Maths as Imperial here, and if you look at the course itself, Warwick's is definitely better
Reply 21
Original post by physicsmaths
Id firm Imperial if I was you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For what reason bro?

I applied to Oxford and so I asked my college and they told me my mat
Go for Warwick. Theres no difference between Warwick and Imperial. They're both so extremely strong, except, Imperial is in Central London which is why it is more known around the world. Obviously, it's in London- a part of the top 5 cities.
I do Maths at Cambridge. When i was applying, it was hard to choose Warwick or Imperial as my insurance especially because the offers were the same. I chose Warwick at the time because their maths course is so fantastic. Imperials is just pure, hardly any chances of getting any nice applied mods, such as Physics. At Warwick, under strict circumstances, it is easier to obtain mods that you are stunned by, obviously having the pure mods as core and the applied mods as optional. It was so much better for me. But to be honest, everyone I know here had insured Warwick, UCL, Durham or Imperial for literally every course. (Mainly Warwick and UCL), so wherever you go, you'll find it great.

Good luck. You have fantastic offers to deal with.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by hbs31
For what reason bro?

I applied to Oxford and so I asked my college and they told me my mat

More internationally well known. Better graduate prospects etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldnt say this for no reSon as I have Warwick Maths as my insurance and I did not get an offer from Imperial so I am saying it purely on academic reasons. For better student life/living I would go Warwick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OUCHHHHH! HARD CHOICE!!!!! Mmmm, well, Imperials maths course is too pure based, with Warwick, you have the chance to do modules that are suited to you (if you are able to cope with the pure). So choose between that. Furthermore, Imperial is more worldwide known as it is in London. I'd go for Warwick, but that's because I loved their example tutorials!

Good luck!
Reply 26
I wouldnt say this for no reSon as I have Warwick Maths as my insurance and I did not get an offer from Imperial so I am saying it purely on academic reasons. For better student life/living I would go Warwick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

damn but you got cambridge? imperial has a better reputation generally than warwick but i was speaking to one of my teachers and he said that imperial and warwick are pretty much neck and neck for maths. i think imperial is ranked a lot higher than warwick in world rankings because they have better researchers though i don't think that would affect undergrad teaching.
Reply 27
Original post by ViolinistPianist
OUCHHHHH! HARD CHOICE!!!!! Mmmm, well, Imperials maths course is too pure based, with Warwick, you have the chance to do modules that are suited to you (if you are able to cope with the pure). So choose between that. Furthermore, Imperial is more worldwide known as it is in London. I'd go for Warwick, but that's because I loved their example tutorials!

Good luck!

I don't really mind imperial's strict course for the first two years, the modules look pretty interesting and i like pure maths more than applied. But the range of choice of modules at warwick looks so attractive!

Plus i heard on another thread that the course at imperial is extremely hard and a lot of the lecturers are rubbish.

did you do maths at warwick? how did you find the teaching and the course (and those example tutorials)?
Original post by hbs31
damn but you got cambridge? imperial has a better reputation generally than warwick but i was speaking to one of my teachers and he said that imperial and warwick are pretty much neck and neck for maths. i think imperial is ranked a lot higher than warwick in world rankings because they have better researchers though i don't think that would affect undergrad teaching.

Yeh I got Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got offers from Imperial and Warwick as well. For what academia is worth, Imperial has a far more rigid G100 than Warwick, at Imperial you can't choose any options before 2nd year, and even then they are fairly set in stone. IIRC the options at Warwick change around frequently and you can take them earlier and with greater choice.

That said, the Imperial bursary is gigantic, so if you're worried about student debt after you graduate and you fall into a good category for the Imperial bursary, that's something to consider. Myself, I firmed Imperial since my degree is so much cheaper, and I can live at home.

I suppose what I mean to tell you is: don't worry about future prospects or how studious either university is, rather, think about all the other things that affect your time there and make a decision based on that.
Lol @ Warwick trolls.
I'm a Warwick grad and based on experience, there's no difference in prestige between Imperial and Warwick when you go to the US for master's education. A couple of years ago, I got my MBA from Chicago-Booth. That was after earning another Master's degree from Brown, an Ivy League school. To give you an idea about my class at Chicago, no one has gone to Imperial, whilst there were 2 of us from Warwick, 2 from Oxford, 3 from LSE and 5 from Cambridge. Oh, and there was one each from Manchester, St Andrews, Surrey and Loughborough.
(edited 8 years ago)
I won't lie to you, Warwick mate
Original post by manraj97
what makes you say that they are on the same level for academic rep?
on every worldwide university reputation ranking, imperial is significantly higher than warwick, even specifically for mathematics

That is a Warwick diehard.

You will never get an answer to the questions you asked because there will be no logical and sensible answer for his claims.

Instead of getting an answer, you are more likely to get an insult for trying to disrupt a Warwick diehards intent of misleading people that Warwick is the next best thing to Oxbridge.
Original post by hbs31

You are right that Warwick and Imperial are neck and neck in Maths but Imperial has a far superior overall reputation locally and internationally.

On that basis, it is a no-brainer to pick Imperial.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LutherVan

You are right that Warwick and Imperial are neck and neck in Maths but Imperial has a far superior overall reputation locally and internationally.

On that basis, it is a no-brainer to pick Imperial.

He was replying to me. I am a fake account? I will post my offer letter of cambridge if you want........ I told to go for Imperial aswell so I don't know who you are talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Lol, oh Luthervan.... I'm sorry, but other than UCL, Imperial, LSE, St Andrews and Durham (and obviously Oxbridge) STUDENTS, nobody else is allowed to hate Warwick (unless they have been rejected). So everything you say, can go away. Aha, rhyming.
(edited 8 years ago)
Luthervan has a tendency to, when losing his temper, blame all his other debaters for being a fake account, or he'd just reply "give me a point", bless him :smile:
He was replying to me. I am a fake account? I will post my offer letter of cambridge if you want........ I told to go for Imperial aswell so I don't know who you are talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I thought he was replying to the fake account, Sarahportbeneck. Didn't know it was you.

I believe you, you don't need to post any offer letter. I'll take your word.:smile:
Both on par with maths.

Overall Imperial is better.

Pick Imperial.

Quick Reply

Latest