The Student Room Group

Why Are We On The Earth?

Seriously why?

i mean, we all want to achieve goals in life; like going around the world or something....but for what....where gna die at the end of it.

i think its only worth achieving goals if there REALLY was heaven after death because you will have your memories from your life and heaven would be the next chapter...but that clearly isn't the case.

i know people must be thinking im a physco...but i am just looking at reality (which alot of people dont do.)

and you probably think im mad because you are following conventions...e.g. you have been bought up to think that suicide is wrong....but who's to say its right or wrong...just because the majority think its right it doesn't make it wrong.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Funnily enough, I asked myself the same question about a month ago and it got me very, very depressed. I stayed in my room for a whole week; hardly going out and barely had any appetite.

I came up with the conclusion that maybe I'm here for others. I'm meant to make them happy, and if they're happy, then I'm happy too.
Reply 2
because our tvs here.
Reply 3
in the words of leif erikson "to rape and pilliage"
I don't think you're a psycho, if that helps :smile: but I doubt you're likely to get a good response with this stuff - people just don't want to think about it!

I definitely try not to think about why I'm here, as I strongly suspect there is no reason and it makes me very nihilistic and depressed. *shrug* There are things worth living for, though - you can live a valuable life for other people even if you can't see the point in it yourself. Maybe you could try that, though I know it's not really an answer :hugs:
Reply 5
Cheer up FFS! When was the last time you thought something that wasn't depressing?

Why the hell do we have to be here for a specific reason? The fact is, we're here, we might as well enjoy it. Better to not be here for any reason in particular than to have been put here for a sole purpose.

"So God, what's the meaning of life and why are we here?"
"Well actually I just made you to build a giant statue of me that breathes fire and shoots laser beams."
"What so not to achieve enlightenment and be at peace with the universe?"
"nope"
"Not even to spread your infinite love?"
"nope"
"You're an big-headed dick aren't you?"
"Yep"

That would be better in comic form but never mind.
Heh!

So atheists just get a free ride with no heavy lifting? I'm all for that!
I don't think we're here for any reason. We're just...here.
Reply 8
Well first off you have to decide which religion (if any) is right, because they all have different answers to the question.
Personally it annoys me how everyone assumes there's a reason. Why the hell should there be? Because you're afraid of what happens next? Tough **** it ain't that easy.
MillionDollarMan
Seriously why?

i mean, we all want to achieve goals in life; like going around the world or something....but for what....where gna die at the end of it.

i think its only worth achieving goals if there REALLY was heaven after death because you will have your memories from your life and heaven would be the next chapter...but that clearly isn't the case.

i know people must be thinking im a physco...but i am just looking at reality (which alot of people dont do.)

and you probably think im mad because you are following conventions...e.g. you have been bought up to think that suicide is wrong....but who's to say its right or wrong...just because the majority think its right it doesn't make it wrong.

We may not gain a personal benefit from it, but on a more global scale we maintain and develop our own race/ civilisation and therefore our achievements in life are to the benefit of later generations (at least that is how i like to think about it). If you're going to think about things that closely there really is no point to anything, but life is the only guarenteed thing we have. There may be an afterlife, there may not... but for sure there is the life that we do have. How does that differ from death? I have no idea, perhaps they are just two ways of looking at the same thing.
There is no ****ing reason. We live we die, that's it.

So you've realised that morality is relative. Whoop-e-****ing do. And you don't win a prize for realising that. :rolleyes:
I believe life is for hating by-torslayshisfoe, anything else is too short for it. :rolleyes:
There is no point to life. But while we're here we might aswell make it better for our (future) kids.
Reply 13
i guess to keep looking for the answer to that question..i mean once we have learned all there is to be learned, we will know exactly why we are here, but if there is nothing else to learn, why would continue to exist..

just a though....:smile:
Reply 14
the_chauffeur
There is no point to life. But while we're here we might aswell make it better for our (future) kids.

well, wouldnt trying to make life better for our future kids in it self be a point to life, taking that to be the only thing we are supposed to be doing...
Only if you have kids. There can't be a universal point to life unles we all could have kids, therefore.
Reply 16
the_chauffeur
Only if you have kids. There can't be a universal point to life unles we all could have kids, therefore.

yea, that is a good statement, but you are begging it. you made the assumption that the only point is to make life better for kids, and since not everyone can have kids, then there must be no point..but making it better for our kids is not the only reason...perhaps...:wink:
Reply 17
MillionDollarMan, you make some strange posts.
HagerVor
MillionDollarMan, you make some strange posts.

no i make posts about reality....alot of people are afraid of talking about reality
Reply 19
Even if there is no after life (I'm agnostic) I believe that we should live life to the full, I mean all that we know is we are here, not why we are here...

We set our own destiny and path in life, and thats what life is all about...

Instead of worrying about not living after death, live before death, leave your mark on the earth.

Latest

Trending

Trending