The Student Room Group

What happens if you miss your offer by one grade?

I currently hold an offer of all MERITS on my access the he course for criminology at Huddersfield university.

I'm worried I could miss that offer by one grade. What would be the likely outcome if the worst came to it?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by simondo93
I currently hold an offer of all MERITS on my access the he course for criminology at Huddersfield university.

I'm worried I could miss that offer by one grade. What would be the likely outcome if the worst came to it?

i missed my offer by 1 grade to university of exeter (ABB i got ABC) and i still got in, probably thanks to my teachers references and my personal statement.

it is likely that you will not get a place but it is also possible that you could still get in, your grades are important but universities look at a lot of other things when considering you. also, if there are spare spaces on the course then they can let people in with out the required grades to fill up spaces on the course

If a lot of people miss their offers too, then you might be let in. If not, you'll find yourself in clearing.
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If a lot of people miss their offers too, then you might be let in. If not, you'll find yourself in clearing.

I won't be in clearing because I've still got my insurance offer.
Reply 5
Original post by tgwktm
i missed my offer by 1 grade to university of exeter (ABB i got ABC) and i still got in, probably thanks to my teachers references and my personal statement.

it is likely that you will not get a place but it is also possible that you could still get in, your grades are important but universities look at a lot of other things when considering you. also, if there are spare spaces on the course then they can let people in with out the required grades to fill up spaces on the course

Hmm would be a shame to miss out because one grade.
I won't be in clearing because I've still got my insurance offer.

Then if you get the grades for that, then you'll go there. If you don't, the same applies as with your firm. They may take you or they may not, and if they don't, you'll be in clearing.
Reply 7
Hmm would be a shame to miss out because one grade.
Indeed it would, but the university is entitled to insist that you meet all the conditions of your offer.

In practice, however, many people do get in having missed a grade or even two - it varies hugely how likely this will be, according to how competitive the uni and/or course is, how many other people missed their offers, whether they liked your application a lot etc etc.
Reply 8
Then if you get the grades for that, then you'll go there. If you don't, the same applies as with your firm. They may take you or they may not, and if they don't, you'll be in clearing.

Hmm it would be a shame to miss out over one grade. The offers I got are a lot higher than previous years.

Huddersfield: BBC equivalent
Leeds met: BBC equivalent
Hmm it would be a shame to miss out over one grade. The offers I got are a lot higher than previous years.

Huddersfield: BBC equivalent
Leeds met: BBC equivalent

You will have to hope a lot of other people miss their offers as well, I guess.
Reply 10
You will have to hope a lot of other people miss their offers as well, I guess.

Indeed. Its strange since I know people who got into Lancaster with BBB when they asked for AAB
Indeed. Its strange since I know people who got into Lancaster with BBB when they asked for AAB

Every year is different and NOBODY knows what is going to happen this year of all years, because the cap on student numbers has finally been lifted and universities can take however many and whoever they like. Since nobody on TSR is privileged to be in every meeting in every university department in the country, nobody can say what they will do, no matter what they may say on here. We have a handful of members who are admissions tutors and they know only what is happening on their course, and not even that, really.
Reply 12
Original post by Minerva
Indeed it would, but the university is entitled to insist that you meet all the conditions of your offer.

In practice, however, many people do get in having missed a grade or even two - it varies hugely how likely this will be, according to how competitive the uni and/or course is, how many other people missed their offers, whether they liked your application a lot etc etc.

I know they are entitled. It just seems strange that they asked for CCC previous years and now they want BBC. I'm not complaining just curious observation.

Also Leeds met have never been known as a B grade university no offence intended to Leeds met.
Reply 13
If you don't meet the grades, they have no obligation to accept you. It would be a matter of whether they meet their student quota or not.
Reply 14
Original post by Exon
If you don't meet the grades, they have no obligation to accept you. It would be a matter of whether they meet their student quota or not.

Strange observation. Why are there no universities that advertise that they accept D's. Even though we all know there are universities that do accept D's
Reply 15
Strange observation. Why are there no universities that advertise that they accept D's. Even though we all know there are universities that do accept D's

[video="youtube;qvvF7-5SIJ8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8[/video]

This video should explain it.
Reply 16
Original post by Exon
[video="youtube;qvvF7-5SIJ8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8[/video]

This video should explain it.

Doesn't that make all offers a bit of a con. As I kind of suspected.
Reply 17
Doesn't that make all offers a bit of a con. As I kind of suspected.

Depends on course demand. If it's a popular course at a prestigious university, there's unlikely to be much leeway if any.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending