The Student Room Group

Graduates doing menial jobs

Would you be upset if after graduation, you couldn't get the job you desire and you'll have no choice but to accept whatever you could apply or offered (e.g. menial jobs)?

I've read a few posters here that would be livid (of course not surprisingly) if they were asked to work in a store/mall after graduation. Would you feel the same way?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kka25
Would you be upset if after graduation, you couldn't get the job you desire and you'll have no choice but to accept whatever you could apply or offered (e.g. menial jobs)?

I've read a few posters here that would be livid (of course not surprisingly) if they were asked to work in a store/mall after graduation. Would you feel the same way?

Sigh. Going to university is not about getting a job. This is a major misconception. As an academic qualification, a degree is not aimed at any specific job, but to show that you have particular knowledge in a given subject area.

If you wanted to go directly into a job, you should have taken the apprenticeship path. The whole point of that is to learn what you actually do in a job, and show an employer that you can do it.

I am taking BSc Computer Science. When I finish, I would probably look for a network management job. However, I perfectly understand that employers would probably look for someone who has done an apprenticeship in something like "IT Network Management", purely because they have proved they can work in the field. I, on the other hand, will have only proved a knowledge in the subject area, but not necessarily that I can apply it in a working environment.
Reply 2
Original post by Choppie
Sigh. Going to university is not about getting a job. This is a major misconception. As an academic qualification, a degree is not aimed at any specific job, but to show that you have particular knowledge in a given subject area.

If you wanted to go directly into a job, you should have taken the apprenticeship path. The whole point of that is to learn what you actually do in a job, and show an employer that you can do it.

I am taking BSc Computer Science. When I finish, I would probably look for a network management job. However, I perfectly understand that employers would probably look for someone who has done an apprenticeship in something like "IT Network Management", purely because they have proved they can work in the field. I, on the other hand, will have only proved a knowledge in the subject area, but not necessarily that I can apply it in a working environment.

Well I think you're putting it in a more academic sense; most people will want a job out of their degree.

Not necessarily; some jobs just require a degree e.g. architecture.

That is true considering I have a degree in Computing but you'd be a stronger candidate if you have a degree.
Nothing wrong with taking a crap job whilst you look for a proper one. Of course nobody is going to be happy working behind the till or stacking shelves after graduation but it's a means to an end. Plus it looks much better on your CV than doing nothing for 6-12 months.

Loads of people think that if they get a 2.1 they're instantly entitled to a good job even if they've never worked a day in their life, which is a common misconception. I had a few interviews and my degree was hardly mentioned at all... employers were far more interested in my work experience even though it wasn't anything special (supervisor in a retail store). Everyone has a 2.1 these days, you need something to stand out.
Reply 4
Depressing times for young graduates. In most cases the baby boom generation just aren't giving the younger generation the chance to go up the career ladder and incredibly high rents have forced most of us to stay put and live with our parents.

There are some times though where theres no chance you can find work at your level due to the area you're from. it is best to consider leaving the area you're from (e.g. if you're from a declining ex-industrial town) and going to find work and live somewhere else. It might be more likely you find work in a more prosperous area. In some areas theres a total lack of jobs which suit graduates.

True there are some jobs which require university qualifications such as teaching, but even then the qualification isn't enough and you have to have put in lots of voluntary and placement hours, which really sucks if you're from a poor background becayse you can find yourself doing two jobs and uni at once. I'd totally make people think twice about entering that profession anyway (stress, impossible targets, more time telling kids to behave than teaching, etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Well that's exactly what I have done. It was definitely a learning experience and it would have been more enjoyably if I didn't have to work in such sweatshop conditions :/ But some of the people were funny and working in the loading bay was quite fun actual, being outside and just carrying things around all day and skiving off in out of site places with the other staff joking around. Also got to mix with lots of polish people :smile:

Although now I am going to go one better and do a menial job for nothing, slave labour style :shot:
Reply 6
Original post by datpiff
There are some times though where theres no chance you can find work at your level due to the area you're from. it is best to consider leaving the area you're from (e.g. if you're from a declining ex-industrial town) and going to find work and live somewhere else. It might be more likely you find work in a more prosperous area. In some areas theres a total lack of jobs which suit graduates.

Yea I don't get why some people are happy to relocate to go to uni (costing them money), but are then reluctant to relocate to get a job (which would make them money).
Reply 7
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Well that's exactly what I have done. It was definitely a learning experience and it would have been more enjoyably if I didn't have to work in such sweatshop conditions :/ But some of the people were funny and working in the loading bay was quite fun actual, being outside and just carrying things around all day and skiving off in out of site places with the other staff joking around. Also got to mix with lots of polish people :smile:

Although now I am going to go one better and do a menial job for nothing, slave labour style :shot:

Oh, that sounds so much fun! A colleague and I were talking about doing such a job (i.e. more on the physical work) and it would be so much better than an office job! Alas, the grass is always greener isn't it? : /
Reply 8
Original post by datpiff

True there are some jobs which require university qualifications such as teaching, but even then the qualification isn't enough and you have to have put in lots of voluntary and placement hours, which really sucks if you're from a poor background becayse you can find yourself doing two jobs and uni at once. I'd totally make people think twice about entering that profession anyway (stress, impossible targets, more time telling kids to behave than teaching, etc)

It's so unfair for some of the graduates where they slaved to get their degree (which is of course expansive) and then ended up doing more certifications or payless jobs, just to get the actual job!
No one is 'too good' for any particular job.
Original post by TornadoGR4
No one is 'too good' for any particular job.

They are too good to work for absolutely nothing for more than a month.

Unpaid internships are a choice though. Yes if they are with a company or sector you want to work for they will be helpful but they are always a choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by kka25
I've read a few posters here that would be livid (of course not surprisingly) if they were asked to work in a store/mall after graduation.

Being livid doesn't pay the bills or buy you food.
Original post by olitheoblong
Unpaid internships are a choice though. Yes if they are with a company or sector you want to work for they will be helpful but they are always a choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A choice for financial secure people sure. Even so, you should still be paid.

Original post by olitheoblong

Posted from TSR Mobile

Working for 8 weeks at 30hours a week for a shelf stacking job is not an internship lol. It also isn't a choice if you are threatened to loose benefits if you don't do it.
(edited 9 years ago)
A choice for financial secure people sure. Even so, you should still be paid.

Why should you be paid? They are a trial and if they like you then there is surly more chance of you getting a job after it. Perhaps not with that company but with another in that sector. This is a reason why I like the idea of them it shows you motivation to the company/sector.
Original post by elohssа
Yea I don't get why some people are happy to relocate to go to uni (costing them money), but are then reluctant to relocate to get a job (which would make them money).

There are massive barriers to moving for a job. Saving for a deposit is one of them. Travel costs are another one. Moving for uni is relatively easier because you get a student loan. Some jobs might require you to start before you're paid (payday) so thats a problem. I'd advise looking for a job in the nearest city because of this. Once you're in a career moving around is easier. Its the first time which is the hardest. Getting on the ladder these days is extremely difficult, especially seeing as the boomers refuse to make space.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Being a graduate doesn't entitle you to a wage :no:

That said, there is no reason why anybody, graduate or not, shouldn't be able to find a paid job of sorts ...:hmmmm:
Original post by Maid Marian

Doing work should though. Being a graduate doesn't entitle the state to force you into unpaid labour.
Doing work should though. Being a graduate doesn't entitle the state to force you into unpaid labour.

How is the state forcing you in any way?
Original post by Maid Marian

That said, there is no reason why anybody, graduate or not, shouldn't be able to find a paid job of sorts ...:hmmmm:

Area is a huge factor in this. If you're from a declining area and you graduate and have to move back you're back in the pit. Sure you have more qualifications than the majority of the population where you live, but with a lack of jobs at your level and only dead end warehouse temp jobs around that everyone and everyones dog is fighting over means you're disadvantaged. The culture amongst these kinds of employers of education not being worth anything over experience prevails here. Graduates in my experience of warehousing are seen as snobs, who aren't worth employing because as soon as something comes up they'll jump out in a flash. Also a lot of employers live in the old school and don't see how academic studies can make someone a better candidate for a job (they have more patience, more tactical, a better ability to learn, etc)

Its being able to get put of the area you were from after you graduate which is the challenge. You could land a job at the other side of the country, but the challenge is how to get there initially because the employer wants you to start next month, but theres no way you can get a deposit to get a place before you're paid.

This is why i believe affordable public transport is incredibly important and rather than grads aim to get a job somewhere way far from where they are from they aim to get a job first in the nearest big city/economic centre.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest