The Student Room Group

Anthropology VS International Relations

Hi! If anyone has any experience in either of the above subjects, I was wondering if you had any advice about the following:

Which has a better reputation with employers?
Which would be more useful in a career in business/travel?
Are they respected degrees?
If you have studied either of the above - what has been your favourite and least favourite elements of the subject?

thank you very much! :smile:
Reply 1
I don't think it matters which you go for.
IR is generally considered a respected degree. Anthropology is also an excellent one, but it has very different career paths (unless you do something unrelated with your studies). So best thing would be to make up your mind on what you want to do afterwards, and then decide based on that.

PS probably IR is more easily adaptable to different careers (international organizations, public sector, consultancy, international business, NGOs, and so on...). Anthropology seems a bit more narrow in this, but I might be totally wrong as I am not an expert on anthropology degrees.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by scavi2008
Hi! If anyone has any experience in either of the above subjects, I was wondering if you had any advice about the following:

If you have studied either of the above - what has been your favourite and least favourite elements of the subject?

Why don't you do both? I applied for joined honours this year for both :smile:. Idk what sort of universities you're looking at, but Cambridge HSPS is abso brill for a degree that lets you study both of these subjects, St. Andrews have a joint honours BA in Anthropology and International relations and Durham allow you to do Combined Honours. I've researched this a lot and know quite a bit about the courses and if you have any questions pls feel free to PM :biggrin:.
Reply 4
Original post by scavi2008

Hey, I'm in a similar situation to what you were in- what did you end up doing?
Reply 5
Original post by Luna7878
Hey, I'm in a similar situation to what you were in- what did you end up doing?

I ended up choosing a course that allowed me a lot of module flexibility :smile: I’ve predominantly done IR modules so far and enjoyed them, but thinking of branching out to doing some Anth in final year! I’ve been fortunate that my course has allowed to take some really interesting IR modules and I’ve avoided most of the heavily theoretical/dry classes for ones that interest me more. Hope that helps!
Reply 6
Ah that’s great thank you! I still have more questions if that’s okay🙂What kind of assessment do you do? What kind of modules did you pick?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending