The Student Room Group

Stop caring so much about grades and degrees and jobs and success in general

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RobML
Explain?

The end product of said person's 'success' - I.e. coming up with a new product, medicine, etc - is still beneficial to humanity. The means by which they got there, for selfish reasons or not, is largely irrelevant.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
And nothing would get done. We can't all be hippies about it, we live in a capitalist society. Either sit down and get to working or be left behind.

This sentiment only applies to certain classes of people.
Original post by RobML
Why does it, then?

Is this a serious question?
You're saying getting a degree is not a factor which could result in success?
So how are people supposed to know how to, for example, develop an eco-friendly biofuel? Or a nuclear reactor? Does that information grow out of trees?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
This sentiment only applies to certain classes of people.

What do you mean?
Reply 44
Original post by Princepieman
The end product of said person's 'success' - I.e. coming up with a new product, medicine, etc - is still beneficial to humanity. The means by which they got there, for selfish reasons or not, is largely irrelevant.

99% of products spewed out do not benefit us at all, we're just made by their creators to think they do. Things that genuinely benefit us are mostly the result of passion in the relevant fields rather than a strive for success.
I agree people should be concerned with whether they're a nice person or not but that doesn't need to be at the exclusion of doing well. I think that just gives people in positions of power a cue to be a holes.

It is sad though, I feel like as a society we've lost our innocence. Everything is over complicated by money and greed. There's too much back stabbing and obsession with being the best at the cost of everyone's emotional health.
Reply 46
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Is this a serious question?
You're saying getting a degree is not a factor which could result in success?
So how are people supposed to know how to, for example, develop an eco-friendly biofuel? Or a nuclear reactor? Does that information grow out of trees?

How is that showing achieving a degree is a contribution in itself?
haha obviously butthurt that you're not an academic...

success can be measured by anyone. You don't have the right to tell me or anyone what sucess is.
Love is all that matters :h:

Good grades(not so much) and degrees are simply things some people must have in order to do great things. It all depends on where and what you want to be. I want to help kids as a doctor. Therefore, I need good grades and a degree. It's not those things that matter so much, but what they empower you to do. Good grades and degrees are only useful if you know how to use them
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RobML

What follows the degree will be though.
Agree with the OP. Academic success is simply the means to an end. I obtained my qualifications purely because they're something I enjoy doing and they're flexible which'll help me earn money whilst travelling. I'm more focused on enjoying my life and then setting up a business so others can be employed and work and I'll just oversee things as the business ticks over. Obviously to get there will take time as I will need the correct structure in place.
Reply 51
Original post by bittr n swt
haha obviously butthurt that you're not an academic...

success can be measured by anyone. You don't have the right to tell me or anyone what sucess is.

I don't by what nuances you define success. At the end of the day it is always a personal measure
Original post by RobML
I don't by what nuances you define success. At the end of the day it is always a personal measure

If it's a personal measure why are you telling people to stop caring about degrees and grades? Maybe that's important to them because they actually want to have a better future...
Reply 53
Original post by binarythoughts
What follows the degree will be though.

Sometimes true, but y'all still caring so much about the degrees on their own
Plus this whole time I've been ignoring degree and university snobbery which is another symptom of the mindset I've been describing
Reply 54
Original post by bittr n swt
If it's a personal measure why are you telling people to stop caring about degrees and grades? Maybe that's important to them because they actually want to have a better future...

But success doesn't equate to happiness. Not your own and much less of others
Yes, success has different measures and some people are living proof that good grades and going to university is not always the way to be successful.
Original post by RobML

Degrees give you knowledge. The knowledge can be invested in a project which contributes to society. It isn't that hard to understand.
Original post by RobML
I'm not saying don't work and make a living for yourself.
just
that
Dan Bilzerian isn't exaclty the zenith of humanity
basically

Success for the sake of success is an awful life goal

Dan Bilzerian? Really? Come on Rob, only chavs look up to him... He's a spoiled rich kid whose profession is poker player, for ****'s sake!
Original post by Ebony19
I agree people should be concerned with whether they're a nice person or not but that doesn't need to be at the exclusion of doing well. I think that just gives people in positions of power a cue to be a holes.

It is sad though, I feel like as a society we've lost our innocence. Everything is over complicated by money and greed. There's too much back stabbing and obsession with being the best at the cost of everyone's emotional health.

A nice post from you :redface:
Reply 59
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Degrees give you knowledge. The knowledge can be invested in a project which contributes to society. It isn't that hard to understand.

A degree is useless to society if the person with it doesn't have the right mindset
it's all too conditional to place so much value on them

Quick Reply

Latest