The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

There was a shooting outside Luton Uni the other week. I got an email about it.
Reply 61
I can understand why Orkney is number six in the top ten best, because it really is quite picturesque, clean, has a slow lifestyle, everyone is very friendly and there's never much of a stir and hardly any crime at all.

However, those factors also make it one of the most boring which is why, as a young pup, I don't rate it very much. But you do get the best piss ups, because there is literally nothing else to do unless you count fishing or going to see a movie that the rest of the UK got two months before you.

The worst place is probably Dundee.
Reply 62

Surely not worse than Drumchapel, Castlemilk, or Gorbals?
mc_hamster
From Channel 4's 'Best & Worst Places to Live in the UK'.

Top 10 Worst
1 - Hull
2 - Nottingham
3 - Strabane
4 - Hackney, London
5 - Middlesbrough
6 - Mansfield
7 - Blaenau Gwent, S Wales
8 - Merthyr Tydfil, S Wales
9 - Salford, Gtr Manchester
10 - Easington, County Durham

Top 10 Best
1 - Epsom and Ewell
2 - City of Westminster
3 - Harrogate
4 - Ashford, Kent
5 - Stratford Upon Avon
6 - East Hertfordshire
7 - South Cambridgeshire
8 - Mole Valley
9 - Guildford
10 - West Oxfordshire
oo Hull
Reply 64
Lloydy
Hull happens to be rather awsome if you know where to go and where not to go! Drinks are cheap, people are very nice once you know them and theres not much crime. Yes there are estates, orchard park and brandsholme are two rather notable ones, but so what? everyone ive known from there has been nice enough. Theres however many millions of pounds being spent at the moment to make it even better!! If you havent visited then maybe you should before saying "its crap!" Many/Most of the museums are free, buses are plentiful etc...

And, as already mentioned, get with the times, Hull is not currently in the bottom 10 place to live, there is no point having a discssion with out of date facts and half truths.

Very well put. The fact that Hull went from the number one worst place to live to not even being on the list shows just how wrong they got it. How can a city really improve that much in a year? They used Hull as an easy target because of its estates, but tell me somewhere that doesn't have a few dodgy estates. Hull has great nightlife, it's incredibly cheap even in the top clubs. It's just an easy target. Half the people who slag it off have never even been.

I think the thread title should be renamed, 'worst place to live in 2005', because people seem to be ignoring the 2006 list..
Reply 65

"the average lifespan of person living in the Calton area as 53"

Bloody hell.
Reply 66
Journalistix
Very well put. The fact that Hull went from the number one worst place to live to not even being on the list shows just how wrong they got it. How can a city really improve that much in a year? They used Hull as an easy target because of its estates, but tell me somewhere that doesn't have a few dodgy estates. Hull has great nightlife, it's incredibly cheap even in the top clubs. It's just an easy target. Half the people who slag it off have never even been.

I think the thread title should be renamed, 'worst place to live in 2005', because people seem to be ignoring the 2006 list..

**** the list, I'm working on my own criteria. Hull's fairly terrible, and yes I've been. Based on the entire city, rather than just taking specific parts or towns, I'd probably say it is the worst city in the UK.

Of course, to it's credit, it's uni is better than that Oxford dump (good old Blackadder).
Reply 67
Yeh on my geography course we were doing about the Glasgow East End and India has the same averge life span.....

Im from Nottingham which is pretty high on that list and was voted number one a few years back, it puzzles me as its based on gun crime and crime in general. The fail to note that all gun crime in nottingham is between drug gangs and never involves the general public, that girl who was murdered was running them for her dad but that was never reported in the news.

I have only once been the victim of crime and that was a drunken assault in the city centre, its a great city, you never get bored its got a great nightlife and has some mint things to do. Some of our 'rougher' areas Radford, Meadows etc look great compared so some places in london and Manchester, its got a bad rep and the media have it in for us, a great city with generally great people....apart from too many beggars.

Stoke is the worst place i have ever been, i briefly went to uni there a few years ago and got started on the first night by a local for nothing, its run down (hanley im on about) and is just horrible and grim
Reply 68
Lib North
**** the list, I'm working on my own criteria. Hull's fairly terrible, and yes I've been. Based on the entire city, rather than just taking specific parts or towns, I'd probably say it is the worst city in the UK.

Of course, to it's credit, it's uni is better than that Oxford dump (good old Blackadder).

On what justification? I'll argue for, you argue against.

+ Lot's of pubs with very cheap prices (£1.60 a pint in city centre)
+ Clubs for every music taste.
- Pozition (RnB, Dance, Metal, Rock, Indie, anything)
- Welly (An OFFICIAL CLUB NME) £1.50 double vodka and red bull, 3 quid entry, plays the best indie music
- Spiders (Voted the best rock/metal club england a few times. A unique club, as anybody who has been will tell you)
- Adelphi/Lamp/Silhouettes/ (has all the up n coming bands)
+ The city has two shopping centres with a massive third one being built on the recently knocked down bus station
+ Has its own train station, Hull Trains was voted the best train company of 2005, trains go directly to London, Leeds, loads of places.
+ BBC look north is filmed there, next to a row of high rise, expensive flats in the city centre
+ Massive £mil redevelopment scheme in East Hull meaning east park looks very nice these days (it has wallabies..lol)
+ Hull University is consistently listed in the 40's on the times good university guide
+ Excellent music scene with lots and lots of live music venues, quality indie bands including The paddingtons
- The KC STADIUM, bands played there include REM, Bryan Adams, BON JOVI, and bands like lostprophets, franz ferdinand, arctic monkeys, the strokes & keane etc have recently played the Ice Arena
- And don't forget the beautiful south are from here :rolleyes:

So you can slag it off all you like but it is improving and trying to move away from the bad reputation it has been given due to a minority of dodgy estates and a comical MP.

It is definitely not the worst place to live in the UK. Not by a long shot. For a start I lived in Londons east end for a year and it was fluffing absymal.

So there :p:
Loads of places in the UK are just grey, run down, dull and manky looking. I used to live in Cheshire and went back recently for the first time in ages - I couldn't believe how grey and polluted it all looked, especially around Widnes :rolleyes: Just full of dated shopping centres with the same old shops and huge supermarkets. There is literally nothing to see of interest in most towns. Compare that to Italy, Switzerland, France etc - places with gorgeous scenery and towns with character.
Journalistix

+ Lot's of pubs with very cheap prices (£1.60 a pint in city centre)

i fail to see how this could give a place a positive image...
Reply 71
Without a shadow of doubt, luton wins this competition hands down.
I'd say Ipswich. It's one of the chavviest places ever.
I watched the show from Location, Location, Location of the 10 Best and Worst places in the UK to live. I can't remember the worst place I think it was Hackney in London.
According to a 50 crap towns book a few years ago, it is Hull. From personal experience, Bath is the most boring place I have ever been albeit I was only there for a day.
Reply 75
cjmcnair
i fail to see how this could give a place a positive image...

It's called working class. We tend to prefer paying that rather £3.50. Also just because it's cheap, don't mean it's nasty.
Reply 76
shewantstobeme
I'd say Ipswich. It's one of the chavviest places ever.

I live in Ipswich, and I would say its pretty dire at the moment, not because its 'one of the chavviest places ever' but because of a) the serial killer on the loose and b) the recent murder outside a nightclub. Normally though, ipswich is quite a good town, better than norwich :p:
Reply 77
I see the most hated is Hull, with Stoke on trent being mentioned a few times (iuncluding burslem)

I personally don't think that stoke on trent is that bad!

but I havent been to burslem much, but I should do considering im going cellege there soon!

When you know the place well, and know where to go, it's a great place, plus a low paid area(whiche xplains how dull it appears) so making it very cheap.
Luton. Thank God I don't live there anymore. It's awful!!
Journalistix
It's called working class.

I still fail to see how that's a good thing... most working class adults I see at my local pub (I am not saying they are all like this or even the majority, but they were there and were working class) get absolute smashed off their faces, threaten the pub owner, break things, and then pass out. So reducing the price of pints helps promote this behaviour... I recon Hull has the majority of votes here :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending