The Student Room Group

Chemistry - OCR A - F322

Hey Guys! Hope everyone's revision is going well!

Just made this thread for a few of us to fire F322 questions at each other to make sure we all get them and end up with a good mark on the summer.

I'll start off! 😊

Are the only two types of 'Stereoisomerism E/Z and Cis/Trans?

Cheers, Jack 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xetter

Just made this thread for a few of us to fire F322 questions at each other to make sure we all get them and end up with a good mark on the summer.

I'll start off! ������

Cheers, Jack ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's also another type of stereoisomer called enantiomers, but we learn that in A2 (its really interesting)

So glad you made this thread :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by enaayrah
There's also another type of stereoisomer called enantiomers, but we learn that in A2 (its really interesting)

So glad you made this thread :wink:

Oh really! That's good! But that's it for AS yeah?

How's your revision going? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xetter
Oh really! That's good! But that's it for AS yeah?

How's your revision going? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup just the E/Z and cis/trans isomerisim for AS. Sometimes get confused between the two but just a review and I'll be okay :smile:

Do you prefer physical or organic chemistry?
Original post by Xetter

I'll start off! ������

Cheers, Jack ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

No,I swear there is optical stereoisomers ?
Reply 5
Yup just the E/Z and cis/trans isomerisim for AS. Sometimes get confused between the two but just a review and I'll be okay :smile:

Do you prefer physical or organic chemistry?

Yeah, Cis is just E isomerism with both the priority groups the same and Trans is just Z with both priority groups the same.

I prefer the physical stuff if I'm honest. Naming hydrocarbons is fine but all the reactions and conditions you need to remember is just a pain in the backside. What about yourself? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it will be handy to learn about optical isomers. It is a really quick topic to learn, and it may be worth going over just in case. They are non superimposable mirror images, and have chiral carbon centres, they are asymmetrical molecules and are attached to 4 different groups. So if you are asked to draw one, then it would most likely be the mirror image of the one they gave you. At A2, you need to be able to construct them both. Good luck!
Original post by Kadak
No,I swear there is optical stereoisomers ?

Optical isomers are enantiomers :wink:
Maybe you can help me? How do you work out enthalpy of reaction?
Original post by Xetter
Yeah, Cis is just E isomerism with both the priority groups the same and Trans is just Z with both priority groups the same.

I prefer the physical stuff if I'm honest. Naming hydrocarbons is fine but all the reactions and conditions you need to remember is just a pain in the backside. What about yourself? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Physical too :tongue: Learning all the conditions is a pain. Have you started the Green Chemistry topic yet?
Original post by RevisionNad
Maybe you can help me? How do you work out enthalpy of reaction?

Directly or indirectly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Optical isomers are enantiomers :wink:

:redface:.
Cool.Cant wait but we have to ace AS first.
I would like people to ask plenty of Spectroscopy questions since thats my weakest link :smile:.
Reply 12
I know how to calculate the enthalpy change of Formation or Combustion if that helps? Didn't think there was an equation to work out reaction...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kadak
I would like people to ask plenty of Spectroscopy questions since thats my weakest link :smile:.

We haven't started it yet :colone:
Original post by Xetter
I know how to calculate the enthalpy change of Formation or Combustion if that helps? Didn't think there was an equation to work out reaction...

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you can't measure it directly you have to create a Hess cycle using what ever enthalpy changes they give you. The question will always be done in such a way as to allow you to have a cycle which you can then use to calculate enthalpy change of reaction

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Physical too :tongue: Learning all the conditions is a pain. Have you started the Green Chemistry topic yet?

Yeah I have, its not too bad. Its more just remembering certain things and doing past papers on them because the answers are very repetitive :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
IR spec questions are fine with the troughs on the graphs referring to certain bonds.. I'm just not as keen on remembering all the mechanisms and the oxidation of Alcohols! (Its a big topic and I've been scared of revising it)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kadak

Explain why you cannot directly compare the relative abundances of the peaks in the fragmented part of the spectrum with the peaks in the molecular ion section for something like cl2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xetter
Yeah I have, its not too bad. Its more just remembering certain things and doing past papers on them because the answers are very repetitive :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, that's reassuring. Are you doing the ISA or the EMPA?
Original post by samb1234
Directly or indirectly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please mention both. I seem to have forgotten this topic! I looked online but I thought I'd resort to here. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending