The Student Room Group

Son of Labour councillor who fled to ISIS returning to Britain tonight

http://news.sky.com/story/1463505/syria-bound-briton-on-way-home-to-uk

If we're allowing these people back, then there should be prosecutions.
I hope he is arrested on his return. There is a very strong case for a prosecution for inchoate offences (conspiracy) viz. sections 11 and 12 of the Terrorism Act 2000 and section 8 of the Terrorism Act 2006.

If convicted of all those offences, he could be looking at decades in prison.
Also, those children should be taken into care and the parents prosecuted for taking children into such a dangerous situation.
Reply 3
Waheed Ahmed, the son of Rochdale councillor Shakil Ahmed, is to fly from Turkey into Birmingham on Monday night.

Rochdale was in the news a while ago for letting grooming gangs have their way. That place sounds like a corrupt mess.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LordMarmalade
I hope he is arrested on his return. There is a very strong case for a prosecution for inchoate offences (conspiracy) viz. sections 11 and 12 of the Terrorism Act 2000 and section 8 of the Terrorism Act 2006.

If convicted of all those offences, he could be looking at decades in prison.

Hmm, haven't the Police been playing the non-prosecution approach though? I know some high-ranked policeman said the girls who went abroad wouldn't be prosecuted.
And no doubt he'll be put under police protection.
Reply 6
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
And no doubt he'll be put under police protection.

Good excuse to monitor him.
Reply 7
Original post by Exon
Rochdale was in the news a while ago for letting grooming gangs have their way. That place sounds like a corrupt mess.

Sounds like a blast
Reply 8
Original post by whorace
Sounds like a blast

Cheeky :colone:
Reply 9
Original post by Exon
Cheeky :colone:

The whole thing has been blown out of proportion.
Reply 10
Original post by whorace
The whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

Be careful. You might blow the fuse.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Hmm, haven't the Police been playing the non-prosecution approach though? I know some high-ranked policeman said the girls who went abroad wouldn't be prosecuted.

Those girls aren't going to be prosecuted because they haven't committed any offence; it's unrelated to the police's stance on those that have.
Original post by Birkenhead
Those girls aren't going to be prosecuted because they haven't committed any offence; it's unrelated to the police's stance on those that have.

Membership? Support? Attendance at a place used for terrorist training?

Surely they have completed the offences, whereas the family in Turkey have only attempted/conspired them.
If he has broke the law, arrest him.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Membership? Support? Attendance at a place used for terrorist training?

Surely they have completed the offences, whereas the family in Turkey have only attempted/conspired them.

Guardian
Assistant commissioner Rowley said: “We have no evidence in this case that these three girls are responsible for any terrorist offences.

“They have no reason to fear, if nothing else comes to light, that we will be treating them as terrorists.”

Rowley said the three girls were different to someone “running around in northern Iraq and Syria with Kalashnikovs” who then apologised for having committed terrorist offences.
Original post by Birkenhead
x

This seems illogical: the girls are already out there whilst the family didn't even make it past Turkey. Why would the latter be prosecuted and not the former?

It's not up to the Police to charge here, and I imagine others, such as the Home Office, can order arrests.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending