The Student Room Group

English Literature A AQA- Contextual linking (Struggle for identity)

Hey everyone,

Just have a few questions about this exam. After going through past papers- there seems to be questions surrounding historical events.
For example, there was an extract of about a girl who wrote a diary entery about moving to America away from the Nazi's in Germany. Another was on exploitation of Oil companies in Nigeria then another was speaking about Ireland and the 'Bloody Sunday'. Which theme would this all go under? Do we need to read books surrounding historical events? What would someone compare this too? I find this difficult.
Original post by Cherry82
Hey everyone,

Just have a few questions about this exam. After going through past papers- there seems to be questions surrounding historical events.
For example, there was an extract of about a girl who wrote a diary entery about moving to America away from the Nazi's in Germany. Another was on exploitation of Oil companies in Nigeria then another was speaking about Ireland and the 'Bloody Sunday'. Which theme would this all go under? Do we need to read books surrounding historical events? What would someone compare this too? I find this difficult.

The genres only ever consist the following genres:
- Sexual orientation
- Religion
- Cultural diversity
- Class
- Discrimination
- Alienation and dislocation

In every unseen extract, you'd normally see around a minimum of two of those genres.
Reply 2
Original post by _quantumsuicide
The genres only ever consist the following genres:
- Sexual orientation
- Religion
- Cultural diversity
- Class
- Discrimination
- Alienation and dislocation

In every unseen extract, you'd normally see around a minimum of two of those genres.

Ok, I understand. So how would someone know which theme best describes the extract. The one on the Nazi's and exploitation in Nigeria, would they be discrimination? I wouldn't understand how exploitation of oil is discrimination- rather to me it seems like something political. I wouldn't know what to compare that with.
Ok, I understand. So how would someone know which theme best describes the extract. The one on the Nazi's and exploitation in Nigeria, would they be discrimination? I wouldn't understand how exploitation of oil is discrimination- rather to me it seems like something political. I wouldn't know what to compare that with.

You don't necessarily have to in cooperate the genre of the unseen text when linking, as long as you compare/contrast the stylistic features and it's touches upon the genres listed. Although, when you look at the unseen in detail, you find links everywhere.

For the exploitation of oil in Nigeria, autonomy is a key genre (imo) which links in with alienation and dislocation. Class is also a genre which is portrayed through the use of semantic fields in the introductory paragraph referring to the legal, political and economical sectors; all of which control the country.

I would compare one point to The Kite Runner in which the main protagonist, Amir, suffers from a life long sense of guilt and regret. The writer Hosseini portrays his sense of dislocation through the use of kites, symbolising autonomy and childhood. Contrasts with the unseen text because of the entirely different context, but simultaneously compares because of the feeling of dislocation they both feel.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by _quantumsuicide
You don't necessarily have to in cooperate the genre of the unseen text when linking, as long as you compare/contrast the stylistic features and it's touches upon the genres listed. Although, when you look at the unseen in detail, you find links everywhere.

For the exploitation of oil in Nigeria, autonomy is a key genre (imo) which links in with alienation and dislocation. Class is also a genre which is portrayed through the use of semantic fields in the introductory paragraph referring to the legal, political and economical sectors; all of which control the country.

I would compare one point to The Kite Runner in which the main protagonist, Amir, suffers from a life long sense of guilt and regret. The writer Hosseini portrays his sense of dislocation through the use of kites, symbolising autonomy and childhood. Contrasts with the unseen text because of the entirely different context, but simultaneously compares because of the feeling of dislocation they both feel.

Wow, thank you. What books have you read so far? I'm not exactly sure what to read at this point. I don't want to do too many different books but ones that go with many themes that I would remember well. Any suggestions on novels, any plays or poems that could match most themes?
Wow, thank you. What books have you read so far? I'm not exactly sure what to read at this point. I don't want to do too many different books but ones that go with many themes that I would remember well. Any suggestions on novels, any plays or poems that could match most themes?

I'm quite a bookworm, so I've read an infinite amount of books in my lifetime :smile: However, I'll only be referring to one of each genre; prose, a play and poetry. I'm doing The Kite Runner, A Streecar Named Desire and Howl respectively. I'd say pick something you'd enjoy reading and writing about. That way, you'll be able to find links anywhere.

Here are some books that would be good to look into:
- Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit (Prose)
- Enduring Love (Prose)
- The Great Gatsby (Prose)
- Ariel (collection of poems by Sylvia Plath)
- Selected Poems (collection of poems by Tony Harrison)
- Top Girls (Play)
- A View From The Bridge (Play)

Keep in mind that it's only necessary for you to study one book from each genre. When linking to poetry, you only need to refer to no more than 2 poems.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending