The Student Room Group

Period of f(θ) = cos 3θ

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me make sense of the attached passage which is from the book Engineering Mathematics, by K.A. Stroud.

To begin with, when he writes "Here we see that, for example..." and so on - what is his reasoning here?

Thank you in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TanPiPerTwo
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me make sense of the attached passage which is from the book Engineering Mathematics, by K.A. Stroud.

To begin with, when he writes "Here we see that, for example..." and so on - what is his reasoning here?

Thank you in advance!

period = 2pi/n always
Reply 2
Thanks! That is true but I am trying to understand his reasoning - but cannot follow...
Reply 3
I am not an expert I just do Mathematics A2 for further maths AS

But when you have the graph sin(theta) it's period is 2Pi in radians the amount of time it takes to make one sinusoidal wave. This means that when you calculate (theta) your answers will be 0,2Pi, 4Pi, 6Pi etc...

But when you have the graph sin(4 theta) it's period is a scale factor of 1/4 the original sin wave. (even I don't quite think that is a good explanation)

So here is some maths :smile:

When you have sin(theta) to find theta you use the sin^-1 function on the calculator for sin(theta) = 0 it would give you 0, 2Pi, 4Pi

For sin(4 theta) you use the sin^-1 function on the calculator for sin(4 theta) = 0 would give you 0, 2Pi, 4Pi but as the answer for 4 (theta) so all your value then have to be divided by 4 to get the period for 4 (theta)

This is just a C3 and C4 student saying this. The only experience I have is alot of trigonometry work so not sure how much help I am but I tried.
Reply 4
Thanks! That is true but I am trying to understand his reasoning - but cannot follow...

it is do do with the transformation f(ax)

f(2x) stretches horizontally by 1/2, so there are 2 cycles from 0 to 2pi, so period = 2pi/2
f(3x) stretches horizontally by 1/3, so there are 3 cycles from 0 to 2pi, so period = 2pi/3
f(4x) stretches horizontally by 1/4, so there are 4 cycles from 0 to 2pi, so period = 2pi/4

etc
Reply 5
But when writes:

"Here we see that, for example:

f(θ) = cos =1 when = 0, 2π, etc..."

How am I meant to "see" this? Where did this information come from?

Sorry, being stupid here, I know...
But when writes:

cos(3θ)=1\cos(3 \theta) = 1. Let u=3θu=3\theta to get cos(u)=1\cos(u) = 1. This has solutions u=0,2π,4π,u=0, 2 \pi, 4 \pi, \dots - are you happy with that bit?
Reply 7
it the cosine wave it starts at 1 on the y axis at the point 0 on the x axis then the full wave takes till 2 Pi on the x axis to get back to the point 1 on the y axis.

Just google sin waves and cosine waves it will help you understand alot better.

You are not being stupid just misguided.
But when writes:

You are expected to know that Cos of 0, 2pi, 4pi, etc is 1
Reply 9
Thanks all.

So because f(θ) = cos θ = 1 when θ = 0, 2π, etc., it follows that f(θ) = cos = 1 when = 0, etc.?
Thanks all.

So because f(θ) = cos θ = 1 when θ = 0, 2π, etc., it follows that f(θ) = cos = 1 when = 0, etc.?

yes
Reply 11
But when he goes on to say:

"So that f(θ + 2π/3) = cos 3(θ + 2π/3)..."

I've again no idea where this comes from.
(edited 9 years ago)
But when he goes on to say:

"So that f(θ + 2π/3) = cos 3(θ + 2π/3)..."

I've again no idea where this comes from.

That's identically what you get if you evaluate ff at θ+23π\theta + \frac{2}{3} \pi. Let θ=θ+23π\theta = \theta + \frac{2}{3} \pi in the definition of ff.
Reply 13
OK but why is he taking that step?
OK but why is he taking that step?

It's verifying that, as expected, the period divides 23π\frac{2}{3} \pi.

We know that it is actually 23π\frac{2}{3} \pi, but this particular line of working just checks that there is a repetition every 2/3pi, not that this is the shortest distance between repetitions. That was done earlier, in finding when the function was 1 and showing that it happened every 2/3 pi: that showed that the period was at least 2/3 pi. This line, however, shows that the period is at most 2/3 pi. Hence the two lines together show that the period is 2/3 pi.
Reply 15
Original post by A.McCall

So here is some maths :smile:

When you have sin(theta) to find theta you use the sin^-1 function on the calculator for sin(theta) = 0 it would give you 0, 2Pi, 4Pi

For sin(4 theta) you use the sin^-1 function on the calculator for sin(4 theta) = 0 would give you 0, 2Pi, 4Pi

Some bad maths!!!!

Answers along the lines of "it's true for this mathematical reason" are preferred to answers along the lines of "use this button on your calculator". Note that sin1(sin(0))=0\sin^{-1} (\sin(0)) = 0 and not 2π2 \pi. Taking inverse-sin of a sin expression will give you one of the possible solutions; the others will differ from it by multiples of 2pi and by subtracting it from π\pi.
Original post by Smaug123
Answers along the lines of "it's true for this mathematical reason" are preferred to answers along the lines of "use this button on your calculator". Note that sin1(sin(0))=0\sin^{-1} (\sin(0)) = 0 and not 2π2 \pi. Taking inverse-sin of a sin expression will give you one of the possible solutions; the others will differ from it by multiples of 2pi and by subtracting it from π\pi.

Yeah I get that because you would have to take the solutions in range you have and also you would get the value Pi.

I just think of it as a graph and I can't explain that very well...

I get it stop bullying me :'(
Yeah I get that because you would have to take the solutions in range you have and also you would get the value Pi.

I just think of it as a graph and I can't explain that very well...

I get it stop bullying me :'(

Thinking of it as a graph is an excellent way to do it (it's the way I use). However, that's not what you said first :smile:
Original post by Smaug123
Thinking of it as a graph is an excellent way to do it (it's the way I use). However, that's not what you said first :smile:

Very true, sincerely sorry :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest