The Student Room Group

I'm considering changing courses during second year and need advice

I'm currently doing a computer systems engineering course in my second year and I'm doing very badly at it because I have very poor programming skills. I'm fairly certain I'm going to fail at least 2 of my modules and one of them is a 100% coursework module so I don't believe I can resit that one. If this does happen, rather then continuing to third year in misery and possibly a poor degree, I would like to switch courses to Information Systems as it has less to do with coding and more focus on business which I think I will enjoy more. However I do have some concerns:

1. The modules for the first year of Computer Systems Engineering and Information Systems are exactly the same. Does this mean I can start the course in the second year?

2. I also took a foundation year so I'm technically in my third year of a 4 year course. If I switched courses, would Student finance cover me for the next 2 years?

3. How soon do I have to make this application to change courses as I do not know if there is a deadline for changing courses and I want to see if I can wait until I get the results for the 100% coursework module, which is due in 9 days

4. If it is successful and I'm allowed to change courses for next year, would I still have to participate in the exams and coursework for this year?

I do plan to discuss this with my tutor later in the week but I wanted to see what everyone else thought. Thanks in advance for all responses
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey :smile:

1) I think you will be able to. If its possible that you can switch between the two courses during/at the end of the first year I imagine the course switch will be simple if you're repeating second year.
However, I'd check this with your tutor. They will probably know the answer to 3 since it might vary from uni-to-uni.

2) SFE give you one extra year of funding extra on top of the original course length, so the answer is yes :smile:

4) I think financially its better to continue until the end of the year. Dropping out early (thus avoiding exams etc) results in SFE asking for repayment of that years maintenance loan and grant. Again, clear this up with your tutor.
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice but I've just learned that because they have similar modules, the only way I'll be allowed to change courses is if I fail this year. Now I have to consider potentially deliberately failing this year so I can get the course change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending