The Student Room Group

Economics or Engineering degree

Hey guys, basically I have an offer for an Economics course at a decent uni (Russel group, not Oxbridge or London) but I'm a bit concerned about the job prospects of an Economics degree.

I've been thinking about reapplying next year to an Engineering degree instead (probably Mechanical Engineering) because the job prospects are so much better, and also the grade requirements seem to be lower than economics so it would be possible for me to go to a better university.

However, I'm only doing Maths A Level at the moment, not Physics. I would have to do Physics in the gap year while reapplying.

I really enjoy Economics, but I feel like in the future I will regret not choosing Engineering.

Any opinions or advice?

Scroll to see replies

Your choice:

1. Earn lots of money doing something useful.
2. Earn less money do something useless.
Reply 2
Original post by Xin Xang
Your choice:

1. Earn lots of money doing something useful.
2. Earn lots of money.

But isn't it hard to get a good salary with an Economics degree if you don't go to Oxbridge/London/Warwick?
Original post by anonwinner
But isn't it hard to get a good salary with an Economics degree if you don't go to Oxbridge/London/Warwick?

Hence my edit. :biggrin:
Hey guys, basically I have an offer for an Economics course at a decent uni (Russel group, not Oxbridge or London) but I'm a bit concerned about the job prospects of an Economics degree.

I've been thinking about reapplying next year to an Engineering degree instead (probably Mechanical Engineering) because the job prospects are so much better, and also the grade requirements seem to be lower than economics so it would be possible for me to go to a better university.

However, I'm only doing Maths A Level at the moment, not Physics. I would have to do Physics in the gap year while reapplying.

I really enjoy Economics, but I feel like in the future I will regret not choosing Engineering.

Any opinions or advice?

What uni?

Econ is fine tbh. There is no discernable reason why you would switch to the monstrosity that is an engineering - especially if your heart's not it.

Stop worrying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Xin Xang
Hence my edit. :biggrin:

Ah sorry, I responded too fast.
Reply 6
Original post by Princepieman
What uni?

Econ is fine tbh. There is no discernable reason why you would switch to the monstrosity that is an engineering - especially if your heart's not it.

Stop worrying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bristol, and the reason I'm worrying about it is because I don't want to regret it in the future when all the engineering graduates are rich and I'm poor
Bristol, and the reason I'm worrying about it is because I don't want to regret it in the future when all the engineering graduates are rich and I'm poor

Mate, you are worrying for no reason whatsoever. If you loved engineering you would have chosen it; you clearly prefer economics.

Bear in mind that engineering itself has a low ceiling - the likelihood of finding 'rich' engineers is slim - most of them transfer into management for the cash boost.

Bristol is a solid uni anyway, you could get into Banking, finance, management or any other related field as a Bristol grad. Just focus on getting involved at uni and building up some form of rapport with recruiters at careers events.

Any opinions or advice?

Job prospects from an RG Economics degree are quite good. Engineering is quite demanding and you need to ask yourself whether you will put enough effort in for a tough type of degree such as Engineering. I strongly wouldn't advise you to do a gap year, it is seriously not worth it especially when you already hold an offer for a good course + good uni. Time also has a value you know.
(edited 8 years ago)

This is bull. The job you get is not automatically determined based on the uni you went to, it's on the candidate.
Reply 10
Finance bruh. Thats where most econ grads go.
Original post by Raymat
Job prospects from an RG Economics degree are quite good. Engineering is quite demanding and you need to ask yourself whether you will put enough effort in for a tough type of degree such as Engineering. I strongly wouldn't advise you to do a gap year, it is seriously not worth it especially when you already hold an offer for a good course + good uni. Time also has a value you know.

I understand Engineering is demanding, but isn't an Economics degree demanding too? Also, do you know why Engineering degrees have lower reqs that Economics? I thought it would be the opposite.
I understand Engineering is demanding, but isn't an Economics degree demanding too? Also, do you know why Engineering degrees have lower reqs that Economics? I thought it would be the opposite.

They are both demanding but I would say when it comes to the top universities, Economics seems more respected and more tougher to get into due to rigorous competition hence the higher entry requirements. To be honest entry requirements vary in different Engineering courses and at different universities. Mechanical Engineering requirements at UCL is as low as AAB while the same course at Imperial has requirements as high as A*AAA/A*A*A.
Original post by Raymat
They are both demanding but I would say when it comes to the top universities, Economics seems more respected and more tougher to get into due to rigorous competition hence the higher entry requirements. To be honest entry requirements vary in different Engineering courses and at different universities. Mechanical Engineering requirements at UCL is as low as AAB while the same course at Imperial has requirements as high as A*AAA/A*A*A.

Yes one of the courses I was specifically thinking about applying to if I took a gap year was the UCL Mechanical Engineering with Business Finance course. It has lower reqs than Economics courses and would probably give me a better chance of going into IB after graduating than Bristol seeing as its at a London uni.

Any opinions or advice?

If you're not interested in engineering then certainly do not do a degree in it.

The job prospects from economics are good too, although many might argue that much of the jobs that economics graduates will get do not require a specific degree and engineering graduates could also secure them. But the only thing you can do with engineering that you can't do with economics is engineering, and if it's not something you're genuinely interested in it is irrelevant anyway.

I think economics is a lot more popular than engineering hence the higher grade requirements.

Bristol is a very strong university and studying economics there will set you up to be more financially successful than the vast majority of other graduates in the UK. You're really worrying about nothing
Original post by JuliusDS92
I think economics is a lot more popular than engineering hence the higher grade requirements.

Bristol is a very strong university and studying economics there will set you up to be more financially successful than the vast majority of other graduates in the UK. You're really worrying about nothing

I feel like I've made mistakes and have many regrets about both my GCSE and A Level choices, so I want to get my university choice right
I feel like I've made mistakes and have many regrets about both my GCSE and A Level choices, so I want to get my university choice right

That's understandable and something I can't comment on. I just wanted to point out that you shouldn't reject economics - especially at Bristol - primarily because you think you won't be able to earn as much when you graduate :smile:
do econ and go into investment banking
Original post by gr8wizard10
do econ and go into investment banking

This is my goal, but apparently it's much easier to go into IB after graduating from UCL (or Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, Warwick) than from Bristol or other RG unis.

Latest