The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel S1 - (5th June 2015) Exam Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Egg1
For the median, as the formula is that it is the (n+1)/2 th term, why for grouped frequency tables do you only find the n/2th term? I know you need to interpolate after, but I dont get why the term you need to find is different?

I mean say there are 70 terms, if it was just a normal frequency table, you would find the 35.5th term, as that's the mid-point and is (n+1)/2 th term, as it is 71/2.

But in a grouped frequency table, the book says you would just find the 70/2= 35th term, so the median lies in the class with the 35th term.

Surely thats wrong as 35.5 is the midpoint of 70, not 35??

It's got to do with whether it's discrete or continuous data. If it's a normal frequency table it's most likely going to be discrete data. For this you do (n+1)/2 th term. If it's continuous data it's most likely going to be in a grouped frequency table. For continuous data it's just n/2.

(No idea why continuous and discrete are different tho :P )
Omg sorry
Didn't know there was a thread already
I'll delete the one I made

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abdifarah97
what would you say is the hardest topic of this s1 exam, still haven't finished thoroughly going through s1 :.

I think it would be normal distribution for me
The word problem ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bustamove
One tip I'd like to give out is to be careful when using your calculator when changing modes. Sometimes, people forget what mode their calculators are in which may affect the answers of your other questions.
Especially in the exam, you're gonna be stressed or a little panicky and may forget, so always make sure you have the right mode on your calculator if you're gonna be switching it around.

That calculator is banned in maths exams
I've got it too but I can't use it in my actual exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Bloom77
That calculator is banned in maths exams
I've got it too but I can't use it in my actual exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you know which ones are banned?
I got the Casio fx-83ES , I think it should be fine?

(edited 8 years ago)
How do you know which ones are banned?
I got the Casio fx-83ES , I think it should be fine?

This is fine
That's the normal one
It's the silver one that you talked about in you're previous post

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
This is fine
That's the normal one
It's the silver one that you talked about in you're previous post

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah the silver one isn't banned. I'm too lazy to get up and find my bag but weve been told by our teachers that it's allowed in exams. You aren't allowed to have ones that solve equations that you should be able to work out, like with integration which has algebra and whatnot. Plus, I used the silver one in C2 and my chemistry Unit 1 today and not a word was said.

Plus, the questions are marked in such a way that just solving them through a calculator wont get many marks. You'd need to show some working out else you'd only get an A1 mark for the final answer (maybe not that). I use my calculator as a check to make sure that the answer I have calculated is correct, and this is what everybody should do.
Original post by Craig1998
Nah the silver one isn't banned. I'm too lazy to get up and find my bag but weve been told by our teachers that it's allowed in exams. You aren't allowed to have ones that solve equations that you should be able to work out, like with integration which has algebra and whatnot. Plus, I used the silver one in C2 and my chemistry Unit 1 today and not a word was said.

Plus, the questions are marked in such a way that just solving them through a calculator wont get many marks. You'd need to show some working out else you'd only get an A1 mark for the final answer (maybe not that). I use my calculator as a check to make sure that the answer I have calculated is correct, and this is what everybody should do.

I know
My teachers don't know either
But it's still risky as it says in the paper you can't use that calculator
But who cares right!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
I know
My teachers don't know either
But it's still risky as it says in the paper you can't use that calculator
But who cares right!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Cassio 991ES is allowed in Edexcel Maths exams.
Original post by Kill3er
The Cassio 991ES is allowed in Edexcel Maths exams.

So what calculator isn't?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Are you allowed to bring in two calculators? I have a graphing one I want to bring but don't like using it for normal calculations as theres about 5000 buttons so want to bring my old casio as well
Original post by Bloom77
So what calculator isn't?

Posted from TSR Mobile

One that does symbolic differentiation and integration. Differentiation and integration without limitation
Original post by Kill3er
One that does symbolic differentiation and integration. Differentiation and integration without limitation

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432385263.196482.jpg

This one

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's allowed. It can only do numerical differentiation and integration.
Original post by Kill3er
That's allowed. It can only do numerical differentiation and integration.

Thank you!

Any tips for the written questions on S1 paper?
That's where I loose marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone has a full list of the functions that calculator can help us to solve S1 problems?
Just know that it can solve normal distribution...
Reply 36
Hi, i am currently struggling AND DYING WITH NORMAL DISTRIBUTION
does anyone know how to solve:
The variable X~N(μ,σ²). The lower quartile of X is 20 and the upper quartile is 40. Find μ and σ.
PLEASE HELP
How do you draw a regression line if asked to draw?

Like, would you just substitute values in for instance
If the regression line was
y = 5.95 + 9.40x

Would you just make a table of values and plot it?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yvchan
Hi, i am currently struggling AND DYING WITH NORMAL DISTRIBUTION
does anyone know how to solve:
The variable X~N(μ,σ²). The lower quartile of X is 20 and the upper quartile is 40. Find μ and σ.
PLEASE HELP

P(x<20) = 0.25
P(x<40) = 0.75
convert to Z
P(z<(20-mean)/sd) = 0.25
P(z<(40-mean)/sd) = 0.75
use tables to find the values and get two equations in mean and sd
put both equations in terms of mean or both in terms of sd (so mean= or sd=)
sub the equations into eachother and solve for mean or sd, then use that solution in the equations to get the other.
Reply 39
Stop thinking about C1 and C2 now. What is done is done, there is nothing you can do now to change it unless you invent yourself a time machine. Focus on doing well on S1.

Lets say worst comes to worst and you do bad in C1 and C2, do you want to resit only two exams or do you want to end up resitting 3? because if you're gonna sit there and not do the work for S1, you're gonna end up with a higher work load next year

Just keep your head down and focus on S1, only around 2 weeks till S1.. then it's over :smile: that is until results day XD

Needed someone to say this!.. been stressing out so much about the disaster of C1 and C2.. really demotivating.. but you're right.. need to just work really hard for S1 so I can't regret not doing my besttt
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending