The Student Room Group

Gym - What do you think of my training programme?

In terms of the exercises chosen, the split, volume (number of reps and sets).

It's still a work in progress (i'm going to include rest periods too).

I'm 6'0, 85 kg (wth 10% bf), beginner to intermediate, focusing on hypertrophy/mass. I've included an arm day even though many will disagree but I've done this because I'm struggling when benching due to weak triceps (that fatigue quickly too) and I know it goes against the norm but I think it'll benefit me to get through a plateau.

(edited 9 years ago)
You need a progression scheme.

The routine is pretty inefficiently designed: you're working out 5x/wk, but only hitting muscle groups once, and your volume is totally disparate between your muscle groups, especially triceps getting way more volume than everything else.

Your exercise selection is totally fine, but not sure why you choose the sets/reps that you do. Why would you do 3x6 on your biceps, 5x1 deadlifts, then 9x5 BTN OHP?? :tongue:
I want to know how much you intend to deadlift at 5 x 1
Original post by King Leonidas
I want to know how much you intend to deadlift at 5 x 1

170kg. 5 reps of only 1 set is what many people say is all you need for deadlifting. You should be lifting heavy for this compound exercise. However I've started to plateau a little so I could try mixing up the rep/set ranges although I don't think that'll get me through it because I don't need endurance for that rep range and more reps and sets will take away the strength side of it.
(edited 9 years ago)
It should've been written 1x5 as oppose to 5x1 meaning 5 singles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
You need a progression scheme.

The routine is pretty inefficiently designed: you're working out 5x/wk, but only hitting muscle groups once, and your volume is totally disparate between your muscle groups, especially triceps getting way more volume than everything else.

Your exercise selection is totally fine, but not sure why you choose the sets/reps that you do. Why would you do 3x6 on your biceps, 5x1 deadlifts, then 9x5 BTN OHP?? :tongue:

Progression - I increase the weight each week. Eg
"week 1: deadlift 170kg, chin ups 10, 8, 6, bent over row 80, 80, 80."
"week 2: deadlift 172.5kg, chin ups 10, 8, 7, bent over row 82.5, 80, 80."

MANY routines hit each muscle group once. But I may throw in some exercises that hit smaller muscle groups again more than once a week. Eg small muscles like side delts, real delts, forearms, calves don't take long to recover so you can just stick them on an arm day even if they have nothing to do with arms.

I agree on the reps/sets. I'll need to even them out. I was going to have a section at the bottom of the table saying "total" and just count the number of sets and reps i've done that day to make sure each day is similiar.

For 3x6 on biceps: I was thinking of having one week where volume is low but I use heavy weight and focus on strength. Then the next week I focus on higher reps, shorter rest, high volume and shocking my muscles through high intensity endurance/hypertrophy based training. Each week I'll alternate from strength (low reps) to endurance/hypertrophy (high reps).

1x5 on deadlift see my post above.

OHP - I can see why that looks crazy to you. I trained with my friend once who is very experienced, has so much knowledge, is a bodybuilder and a personal trainer at that gym. We did a shoulder routine together and it was an absolute killer. At the beginning (after a long warm up) we did:
Seated DB shoulder press for 10 reps
Superset with 0 rest to the squat rack and did OHP behind the head for 5 reps.
30 second rest, 5 reps of OHP behind the head again.
30 seconds rest, 5 reps of OHP behind the head again.

That was ONE whole set. We did that for 3 sets in total. So altogether once we did 3 whole sets of that we would have done 3 lots of 10 for DB shoulder press and 9 lots of 5 for OHP press. I didn't know how to write it on my program but that was what I meant (made sense in my head). It is soooo intense, you achieve such a burn and your arms want to drop off from the lack of rest, high reps and volume achieved!
Original post by Enginerd.
It should've been written 1x5 as oppose to 5x1 meaning 5 singles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah woops. Thanks for picking up on that. In my head I knew what I meant so I wouldn't be doing 5 sets of 1 each time! I'll change it
Don't plans take the fun out of it?
Original post by hellodave5
Don't plans take the fun out of it?

Noooo it motivates me writing down, structuring and recording my results. Plus it is easier to see statistical improvements in lifts and you can help reduce certain variables changing from week to week (eg if you are really strict you can keep rest intervals the same and if the weight you are lifting is going up you can't blame this on having more time to recover from fatigue between sets).
Original post by dylantombides
Noooo it motivates me writing down, structuring and recording my results. Plus it is easier to see statistical improvements in lifts and you can help reduce certain variables changing from week to week (eg if you are really strict you can keep rest intervals the same and if the weight you are lifting is going up you can't blame this on having more time to recover from fatigue between sets).

I suppose I have never been that serious about it, even though used to do a great deal. Have always just gone and exercise to feel good and increase general health, fitness, and maintain good strength.

Though that only led me to increasing stamina and muscle tone a great deal, at a medium-high strength. I have never managed to bulk up like crazy like some. Suppose plans are needed if that's what you're wanting to do.

Without the spontaneity, I find things much more of a drain - but I suppose everyone is different :smile:. Now I'm a lazy couch potato :tongue:
Original post by dylantombides
Progression - I increase the weight each week. Eg
"week 1: deadlift 170kg, chin ups 10, 8, 6, bent over row 80, 80, 80."
"week 2: deadlift 172.5kg, chin ups 10, 8, 7, bent over row 82.5, 80, 80."

Looks good short-term, but with how far you are into your training, I doubt you'll be able to keep up that progression very long! Might be worth thinking about what you'll do once you stop being able to add weight each week.

MANY routines hit each muscle group once. But I may throw in some exercises that hit smaller muscle groups again more than once a week. Eg small muscles like side delts, real delts, forearms, calves don't take long to recover so you can just stick them on an arm day even if they have nothing to do with arms.

Many routines do hit each muscle once a week, but they tend to be 3-4 days per week. IMO, if you're willing to lift 5x/week, you'd be better served by following a 5 day split that hits everything twice a week. :smile:

I agree on the reps/sets. I'll need to even them out. I was going to have a section at the bottom of the table saying "total" and just count the number of sets and reps i've done that day to make sure each day is similiar.

For 3x6 on biceps: I was thinking of having one week where volume is low but I use heavy weight and focus on strength. Then the next week I focus on higher reps, shorter rest, high volume and shocking my muscles through high intensity endurance/hypertrophy based training. Each week I'll alternate from strength (low reps) to endurance/hypertrophy (high reps).

Yeah dude, that sounds fine! Not what I'd do for arms personally, but if it works for you, bash on. :smile: You definitely want to even out the volume tho - with front and rear delts too.

1x5 on deadlift see my post above.

Makes more sense, especially if you're interested in strength like you seem to be. But if you only care about size maybe try training a deadlift variant at higher volume? Especially the with the low volume of direct ham work in your routine.

OHP - I can see why that looks crazy to you. I trained with my friend once who is very experienced, has so much knowledge, is a bodybuilder and a personal trainer at that gym. We did a shoulder routine together and it was an absolute killer. At the beginning (after a long warm up) we did:
Seated DB shoulder press for 10 reps
Superset with 0 rest to the squat rack and did OHP behind the head for 5 reps.
30 second rest, 5 reps of OHP behind the head again.
30 seconds rest, 5 reps of OHP behind the head again.

That was ONE whole set. We did that for 3 sets in total. So altogether once we did 3 whole sets of that we would have done 3 lots of 10 for DB shoulder press and 9 lots of 5 for OHP press. I didn't know how to write it on my program but that was what I meant (made sense in my head). It is soooo intense, you achieve such a burn and your arms want to drop off from the lack of rest, high reps and volume achieved!

Makes more sense now. I thought you'd be going for 9x5 at a high intensity with ages resting. :lol: Personally don't see the benefit of BTN OHP over the standard OHP though - it's not like you're training to be a weightlifter!

That 9x5 sounds interesting to me - let me know how it goes, srs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Looks good short-term, but with how far you are into your training, I doubt you'll be able to keep up that progression very long! Might be worth thinking about what you'll do once you stop being able to add weight each week.
Even if I just improve one thing per session (eg lifting 2.5kg more) then it is good.

Many routines do hit each muscle once a week, but they tend to be 3-4 days per week. IMO, if you're willing to lift 5x/week, you'd be better served by following a 5 day split that hits everything twice a week. :smile:

Ok i'll have a look into 5 day splits a bit more!

Makes more sense now. I thought you'd be going for 9x5 at a high intensity with ages resting. :lol: Personally don't see the benefit of BTN OHP over the standard OHP though - it's not like you're training to be a weightlifter!

That 9x5 sounds interesting to me - let me know how it goes, srs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah since I made the program for me, it made sense to me but when I posted it I forgot no one else will understand it. Yeah I'll let you know how it goes. I've only just started doing it and it seems to be a killer of a workout but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be successful. Give me a bit more time and i'll get back to you on how effective it is.
How come you're doing no calf work?

I find that a fatigued back affects bench pressing so I would switch chest and back days around, personally.
You seriously get more volume in a single session (I'd like to say arms, but basically any of the sessions :lol:) than I get in an entire week.

Seems a bit like you've listed every exercise you know for working a given body part and are trying to fit them all in.
The back session looks particularly lengthy, I'd probably only go with one row variation at a time. Perhaps you could be more selective, maybe rotate some exercises in/out every couple of months?

Also, props for putting power cleans in a split
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest