The Student Room Group

When you sit down and think about it racisim makes no sense..

Scroll to see replies

You're right it is. But, then, so are other less stigmitised negative prejudice/hatreds. But, one thing you have to understand is that racism isn't as simplistic as you say. If you want to combat something, you have to understand it. People who are racist believe that being part of a certain race makes you act a certain way, they believe that people of different colours are inherently different(whether these are social, genetic, political) and see these differences as negative things, so choose not to like/respect them. Sometimes racism for some, can be a way to make themeselve feel better. If you have low self esteem, then it can be boosted knowing that, you're at least superior to this group of people. You being part of this certain group means that you're no so bad. Tied to this is seeing yourself in a postive group. We like to see ourselve in a positive light, thus the group we find ourselves in(nationality, religion, race etc) we want to beleive to be good, significant, superior as this reflects well on us. This is unfortanatly is done by looking down on other groups. Negative experiences is also a factor. If the majority of your experiences of a certain group is negative, then you may naturally act hostile to members from that group, even if you don't known them. That's just how people's brain works, and its a uphil battle to fight.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fry_Cook_of_Doom
The people in Africa today are the descendants of those who were 'left behind' by our ancestors when they migrated out of the continent. The fact that they remained where the were instead of going abroad to colonize the planet like civilized human beings shows their lack of skill and enterprise, demonstrating their genetic inferiority.

That's what some people think, anyway.

The point is we don't know what actually happened there:

1) Perhaps those 'left behind' by our ancestors were the ones who kicked our ancestors out and carried out the first exodus?
2) Maybe the specific areas which were inhabited by the peoples which left to colonise the planet did not interact with peoples of the areas which remained in Africa? Maybe they even did not know of each others existence?
3) It may have been a coincidence that certain specific tribesmen decided to move and others were more successful in surviving in the region, i.e. particular preconditions of the eastern horn of Africa in that specific time and place.

We basically do not know. By this logic of colonising the planet and experience thereof , the Amerindians supposed to be on the top of "racial hierarchy" advocated by those people.
Racism makes no sense even before you sit down and think about it.

Original post by Fry_Cook_of_Doom
The people in Africa today are the descendants of those who were 'left behind' by our ancestors when they migrated out of the continent. The fact that they remained where the were instead of going abroad to colonize the planet like civilized human beings shows their lack of skill and enterprise, demonstrating their genetic inferiority.

That's what some people think, anyway.

Actually Africans did not experience massive die-offs and population bottlenecks like the migrating peoples did, so they have more genetic diversity in a small area. One might equally say that means they have a better gene pool to work with.

The reason why Africans did not migrate out of Africa was probably because they were living quite happy and sustainable lives in the most bounteous parts of Africa. Those on the fringes were driven to move, as all humans are, not by their "lack of skill and enterprise", but by necessity as the ecosystem became more hostile.
Look, every race gets their ups and downs. Remember the Dark Ages and Middle Ages, how did that go for Europeans? Asians and Africans were doing very well. Especially the Mongolians and the Muslims. Now is just Europeans' time, maybe next time it will be the Pacific people's turn?
Original post by Another
...You're not trying to tell me that you think vaccines can cause neuro-developmental defects, are you?

So according to this theory, Mexican-American men with the highest testosterone levels of any race, are the most violent people on the planet?

Okay then.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I just had to do this

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jc.2007-0028 Oh, what's that? It looks like testosterone levels between white and black men are exactly the same

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23354421 Oh that's funny, this other completely different, and yet very recent study is saying the same thing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12608929 We're in the UK now, and what a surprise, white and black men have similar levels of testosterone.

But please, tell me more about your "logical connections" based on "fairly basic links" that say testosterone leads to violent behaviour in black men.

why cant we all have a big gangbang and get along.

I'll never understand it.
Racism is dumb. Whites seem to like the power they had over people of colour back in the day. Even now some whites want "no immigrants" we all know that institutional racism. I agree the concept of racism is dumb, however coloured oppression and white supremacy still lives on day. I'm sorry to say that whites like to deny that racism still exist when police officers are on the streets murdering black people for the bants. Even worse when black people are killing black people in gang violence. It's all ridiculous.
Why be free when our freedom has limits?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
So because they decided to stay makes them inferior? Dont be so stupid, maybe they were happy where they were... Do you go travelling the world? Your logic is ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg is that a rare pepe in your avatar? if so can I have it? plssssss
Original post by Foo.mp3
Race =/= skin colour :facepalm2:

Race is just a socially-defined construct. Skin colour is a way of simplifying it, as most people judge 'race' by skin colour. If a Pakistani native had a child with a Ghanian native, what race would the child be? "Mixed-race"? That's stupid and you know it. Human genetics are way too complex too be split into crude categories

The correct term for what you're calling race is genetically based "biogeographical ancestry". You'd be surprised how similar the most genetically different populations are and how they look.

And that's assuming your being logical and referring to genetics as your basis for race, because if you're not...
Original post by Foo.mp3
Sorry, which post have I 'ignored'? :dontknow:

Toxic heavy metals necessarily cause neurological damage, and are associated with neurodevelopmental disorders a la early life exposure. It stands to reason therefore that vaccines containing such PIPs may cause neurodevelopmental defects of some kind or other, however minor/detectable e.g. by meta analyses

Apparently it's estrogen (associated with territorial behaviour), rather than testosterone, that differs between these particular groups

You really don't like giving straight answers, do you.

1) Vaccines don't cause autism, or other defects.
2) If Oestrogen was associated with violence, women as a whole would be more violent than men.
Racism makes quite discernable sense to me. That doesn't mean it's "good" though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foo.mp3
Whatever label/'social construct' you apply to/term phenotypically distinct groups, however apparently minor the related genetic variation (compared with what, a different species?), there are some fairly irrefutable statistical and observational differences between different 'racial'/'ethnic' groups - as anyone remotely learned and intellectually honest will tell you (and no this does not in any case mean that e.g. whites are necessarily top of the pops)

Funny, because if "irrefutable statistical and observational differences" are based on genes you may be interested to know that:

Some of the most genetically different populations on earth fall into the same "race" AND look very alike - e.g. natives from different parts of Africa.

Although certain behaviours correlate with "race" or ethnicity, that doesn't mean they are caused by "race of ethnicity. Examples include crime rates being higher in American settlements with more Black people but being similar to American settlements with less Black people but the same amount of poor people of all backgrounds, suggesting there are higher crime rates in economically deprived populations and having more Black people is irrelevant.

These points seem to suggest that there's something else causing your "irrefutable statistical and observational differences", if there are any. I stand by my point that culture is what many people are prejudiced towards, a point you so vehemently refuted.

Although I DO take your refutations with a grain of salt, seeing as you contradict yourself many a time in your mission to justify prejudice towards those of different backgrounds:

Original post by Foo.mp3
You don't need a peer reviewed study to be able to make fairly basic links between what we commonly observe/ascertain in/from the e.g. relatively violent/aggressive/belligerent behaviour of certain racial groups and what the science tells us about their testosterone levels (somewhat validating the logical connections implied in my comments) :dontknow:

Original post by Foo.mp3
Apparently it's estrogen (associated with territorial behaviour), rather than testosterone, that differs between these particular groups

Original post by Foo.mp3
Territorial behaviour is a psychological thematic that may or may not be associated with increased potential for violent aggression, depending upon the nature of the individual e.g. concomitant (changes in) hormonal profile and other aspects e.g. physical strength, conditioned physical responses/behaviour etc etc :rolleyes:

Also, NOT EQUAL TO should be !=, not =/= smh
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by T.I.P
For example, if science is correct we all originate from the same place which is Africa, all that happened was migration really.. so its actually pretty stupid. If people dislike a person based on their religion then fair enough, but to hate on someone based on skin colour is absolutely ridiculous as its not something you decide, its not like picking whether to be crip,blood or latin kings. We are all human... I've always wondered of aliens came down and settled on earth would we all group together and have conflict with them because they weren't human?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Racism partly arises out of a person wanting to feel superior/to be part of a superior group, so they put anyone different to them down, to make them feel inferior, so they themselves feel superior, they think of themselves as being part of the desirable group and to therefore feel privileged, it's like an ego boost, probably because their parents didn't show them much love lol

This can be applied to all other types of discrimination too

This is what can be seen in Hitler, when he tried to create the 'Aryan' race, who were supposedly better than all the rest, especially the Jews. This also shows why it is absurd that you say it's ok to dislike someone based on their religion, you think it was ok for Hitler to hate on all the Jews?
We all have freedom of choice to believe what we want to believe, this is similar to having our own opinions, and to dislike someone because of that, is as bad as being racist

If a ruler decided to kill all the atheists, or the Christians or the Muslims, would this be justified to you, because it is a choice? These are certainly key characteristics which help distinguish between different individuals, but just because people are different, whether out of choice or not, you have no right to treat them any less or as inferior to you

Quick Reply

Latest