The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
No, it won't make a difference. The SAQ asks you to list the scores in each module, and whether you intend to resit them so it doesn't matter if you cash them in or not as we get the information from the SAQ.

oh yeah, thank you!
Reply 81
Hi,

We do look at school context, but this is done on a school-by-school basis rather than simply state-independent as we know that this information is much more detailed and complicated than the broad brush of school type. The expectations at interview will depend to some extent on your background: whether you are from a high-achieving or lower-achieving school (either state or independent), which A levels you have studied, whether you are post A level, a mature applicant or have already completed a degree etc. We do this to ensure the process if fair and that nobody is disadvantaged.

Ok fair enough, so if it is a high-achieving school then there is, effectively, a higher academic level we have to reach in order to be considered on the same level as another student from a low-achieving school which is completely fair. However, as I know you look for 'academic potential' in a student, would that mean this pupil would be cut less slack at interview in demonstrating academic potential i.e. be asked more rigorous questions/put the candidate under more levels of thinking? This is excluding all other aspects of the application so in essence, does the school context affect how you conduct the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nurav11
Ok fair enough, so if it is a high-achieving school then there is, effectively, a higher academic level we have to reach in order to be considered on the same level as another student from a low-achieving school which is completely fair. However, as I know you look for 'academic potential' in a student, would that mean this pupil would be cut less slack at interview in demonstrating academic potential i.e. be asked more rigorous questions/put the candidate under more levels of thinking? This is excluding all other aspects of the application so in essence, does the school context affect how you conduct the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I think the important thing to remember here is that we would never 'exclude all other aspects' of an application - we only ever consider information holistically. This would include school context, but also the personal statement, exam results, BMAT etc. A candidate with a weaker paper application would have to be more impressive at interview to be in the running for an offer, but we try to take into account all factors when assessing interview performance (e.g. post A level, mature, postgraduate etc.). Whilst the questions asked to candidates at interview are similar, different candidates do cover different ground. This is nothing to do with the school, but depends on your interests, abilities and prior knowledge of material. The aim of the interview is to see how you think, how well you understand what you've covered at school, and how you cope with new material. The interviewers are likely to ask you something you may not have come across before.

As no particular weight is attached to any one piece of information, the interview is no more, and no less important than any other factor.
Reply 83
Hi,

I think the important thing to remember here is that we would never 'exclude all other aspects' of an application - we only ever consider information holistically. This would include school context, but also the personal statement, exam results, BMAT etc. A candidate with a weaker paper application would have to be more impressive at interview to be in the running for an offer, but we try to take into account all factors when assessing interview performance (e.g. post A level, mature, postgraduate etc.). Whilst the questions asked to candidates at interview are similar, different candidates do cover different ground. This is nothing to do with the school, but depends on your interests, abilities and prior knowledge of material. The aim of the interview is to see how you think, how well you understand what you've covered at school, and how you cope with new material. The interviewers are likely to ask you something you may not have come across before.

As no particular weight is attached to any one piece of information, the interview is no more, and no less important than any other factor.

Ok fantastic, thanks very much for all your help over this thread.
Hi,I think the important thing to remember here is that we would never 'exclude all other aspects' of an application - we only ever consider information holistically. This would include school context, but also the personal statement, exam results, BMAT etc. A candidate with a weaker paper application would have to be more impressive at interview to be in the running for an offer, but we try to take into account all factors when assessing interview performance (e.g. post A level, mature, postgraduate etc.). Whilst the questions asked to candidates at interview are similar, different candidates do cover different ground. This is nothing to do with the school, but depends on your interests, abilities and prior knowledge of material. The aim of the interview is to see how you think, how well you understand what you've covered at school, and how you cope with new material. The interviewers are likely to ask you something you may not have come across before. As no particular weight is attached to any one piece of information, the interview is no more, and no less important than any other factor.

Hi, I would like to ask some questions,
Firstly how do you use the BMAT test scores and how much does it influence your chance of an offer.
Secondly what is an ideal score to be getting in a BMAT
Lastly how is the interview scheduled and what does it consist of?
Thanks
Firstly how do you use the BMAT test scores and how much does it influence your chance of an offer.
Thanks
Reply 86
Original post by ilovecake123
Thanks

Unfortunately, I think they said they'd finish this thread by Friday :frown: hopefully they'll still reply though
Hi there, and many thanks for doing this forum!

I am an international student from Singapore applying to Cambridge. I understand that you receive about 10 overseas applications every year for one international seat. I'm doing the IB, currently scoring a 7 in every subject except HL Maths, such that I am predicted an overall 44 with 7 7 6 at HL (Chem, Bio, Math). Given that my BMAT goes smoothly (scoring 6 and above), do you think that it is worth applying to Cambridge or do you usually only accept overseas candidates scoring 7 7 7 at HL?

Latest

Trending

Trending