The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christ's Admissions
As promised, I am back with a new thread to answer any questions you may have about Cambridge in general or the admissions process. I'll be here until 8 May and then will be back again, as for the last two years, with thread in July and August-September.

How important do you regard the personal statement in deciding whether to give an offer? My subject is maths by the way.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can still do the extra modules even if all of your maths modules aren't the same board. The only slight complication would be overlap and new topics your board wouldn't otherwise cover.

My school did Edexcel for normal A-level maths and OCR MEI for A-level further maths through the Further Mathematics Support Programme. There were only four of us doing it in the school so the FMSP taught us the A-level in FM at a local university and our head of maths organised our exams.
Original post by TirnanF
How important do you regard the personal statement in deciding whether to give an offer? My subject is maths by the way.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge uses the personal statement in a different way to other universities which do not interview. It is less important as part of our considerations about how to give offers to than I think it is at other universities and we tend to use it as a tool in interview. Again, I think that it is fair to say that its importance is greater in humanities subjects than in Maths and Science ones, especially Maths where it will play a very small role indeed in assessing you as a candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 183
I have a general query about college life. I would imagine that living and working as a college community is one of the aspects of life at Cambridge which makes it so unique. Eating together in college must be a fairly major part of promoting community cohesion and I would imagine most students must eat hundreds of meals in the buttery or at formals over the course of their degree.
In the light of this, I would be interested in your comments about the following FOI request I came across:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/provision_of_halal_meat_to_stude_51#incoming-629953

Looking at the responses of the colleges, the following state that the only chicken available in college is Halal, but is not actually labelled Halal so students are unaware that they are eating meat from animals slaughtered according to Islamic rituals.

Collegeswhere all chicken is Halal but not labelled as such:
Clare
Pembroke
Queens'
Sidney Sussex

Most colleges I then looked at, including Christ's, serve Halal meat on request and any Halal meat is clearly identified (as is special request).

These colleges currently arrange Halal on request:

Christ's, King's, Corpus Christi, St John's, Peterhouse, Churchill, Downing, Emmanuel, Girton, Gonville and Caius, Trinity.
I have not looked at the FOI responses of any others.

Does Christ's have any plans to change its current catering policy and would Halal meat always be identified as such to allow students an informed choice?
Who would have taken the decision to change to a Halal supplier for all its poultry supplies in college, is this something the senior fellows would be consulted about.
Should Cambridge, which welcomes students of all faiths and none, allow any colleges to cater for a minority of students to the exclusion of others, particularly when they are unaware they are eating meat slaughtered according to the rituals of a religion followed by a minority of students.
For a student who enjoys chicken but would not eat Halal, this could be a serious consideration. It also raises a question of openness and intent to treat all students equally, whatever their background. I would welcome your comments.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Soraia
I have a general query about college life. I would imagine that living and working as a college community is one of the aspects of life at Cambridge which makes it so unique. Eating together in college must be a fairly major part of promoting community cohesion and I would imagine most students must eat hundreds of meals in the buttery or at formals over the course of their degree.
In the light of this, I would be interested in your comments about the following FOI request I came across:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/provision_of_halal_meat_to_stude_51#incoming-629953

Looking at the responses of the colleges, the following state that the only chicken available in college is Halal, but is not actually labelled Halal so students are unaware that they are eating meat from animals slaughtered according to Islamic rituals.

Clare
Pembroke
Queens'
Sidney Sussex

Most colleges I then looked at, including Christ's, serve Halal meat on request and any Halal meat is clearly identified (as is special request).

Christ's, King's, Corpus Christi, St John's, Peterhouse, Churchill, Downing, Emmanuel, Girton, Gonville and Caius, Trinity.

Does Christ's have any plans to change its current catering policy and would Halal meat always be identified as such to allow students an informed choice?
Who would have taken the decision to change to a Halal supplier for all its poultry supplies in college, is this something the senior fellows would be consulted about.
Should Cambridge, which welcomes students of all faiths and none, allow any colleges to cater for a minority of students to the exclusion of others, particularly when they are unaware they are eating meat?
For a student who enjoys chicken but would not eat Halal, this could be a serious consideration. It also raises a question of openness and intent to treat all students equally, whatever their background. I would welcome your comments.

Lol it's the same meat, what difference does it make?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How does one request halal? And how often could you request it? :lol:
Original post by umutalberts
Lol it's the same meat, what difference does it make?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do not want to start a religious discussion, but thats a silly question...because it clearly does make a different to muslims. And its not the same as it is killed and prepared in a different way.
Original post by Don John
You can still do the extra modules even if all of your maths modules aren't the same board. The only slight complication would be overlap and new topics your board wouldn't otherwise cover.

My school did Edexcel for normal A-level maths and OCR MEI for A-level further maths through the Further Mathematics Support Programme. There were only four of us doing it in the school so the FMSP taught us the A-level in FM at a local university and our head of maths organised our exams.

Thank you :smile:
I will do the extra modules on my own.
Original post by newblood
Do not want to start a religious discussion, but thats a silly question...because it clearly does make a different to muslims. And its not the same as it is killed and prepared in a different way.

It makes a difference to Muslims,....and obviously to the one who queries about it.... I guess she doesn't want to eat Halal and bringing a :france: debate to the UK.

Personally, I think there is no good killing and bad killing.
Original post by Melanie Leconte
It makes a difference to Muslims,....and obviously to the one who queries about it.... I guess she doesn't want to eat Halal and bringing a :france: debate to the UK.

Personally, I think there is no good killing and bad killing.

Really dont want to start a controversial debate on here but i agree if she doesnt want to eat halal then colleges should definitely be providing both halal and non halal foods (and making sure it is clearly known which is which)..

I am quite baffled by the way those few colleges are managing their kitchens such that halal is the standard meat (and unlabelleled) and non-labelled available oj request. Surely, those who want to eat halal would be in a minority, so it would make sense to provide normally prepared food to everyone, with halal available on request
Really dont want to start a controversial debate on here but i agree if she doesnt want to eat halal then colleges should definitely be providing both halal and non halal foods (and making sure it is clearly known which is which)..

I am quite baffled by the way those few colleges are managing their kitchens such that halal is the standard meat (and unlabelleled) and non-labelled available oj request. Surely, those who want to eat halal would be in a minority, so it would make sense to provide normally prepared food to everyone, with halal available on request

I have no intention to start this debate either because I have witnessed how ridiculous it can get.
*Many people who eat Halal ended up finding out that the meat is not halal either!
* Many people thinking that are eating humanly killed animals were horrified to see how it is really done (not Halal or kosher).
* Many who avoid eating pork found out that many products have pork in them...even in yogurt!

Last year in the UK there were so many shocking truths in the News as well.

I don't eat meat for one reason and one reason only, I love animals and any killing is a bad killing as far as I am concerned but I don't try to enforce it on any one else :smile:. I am out of this conversation :f1:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Melanie Leconte
I have no intention to start this debate either because I have witnessed how ridiculous it can get.
*Many people who eat Halal ended up finding out that the meat is not halal either!
* Many people thinking that are eating humanly killed animals were horrified to see how it is really done (not Halal or kosher).
* Many who avoid eating pork found out that many products have pork in them...even in yogurt!

Last year in the UK there were so many shocking truths in the News as well.

I don't eat meat for one reason and one reason only, I love animals and any killing is a bad killing as far as I am concerned but I don't try to enforce it on any one else :smile:. I am out of this conversation :f1:

Totally understand what your saying. i think its best just to focus on the maths :wink:
Original post by Soraia

Clare
Pembroke
Queens'
Sidney Sussex

Should Cambridge, which welcomes students of all faiths and none, allow any colleges to cater for a minority of students to the exclusion of others, particularly when they are unaware they are eating meat slaughtered according to the rituals of a religion followed by a minority of students.

Thank you for your question. As far as I am aware we have no plans to change our catering policy regarding Halal meat. The FOI answer puts our position fairly clearly. I am afraid that I cannot comment on the internal catering decisions of other colleges.

I'd say the majority probably just don't care. Why would it matter how the animal was killed? It's dead anyway...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by umutalberts
I'd say the majority probably just don't care. Why would it matter how the animal was killed? It's dead anyway...

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is it to you? It is their religion, their beliefs. You are insulting muslims by saying this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please could I ask that this thread is not highjacked by a discussion on Halal food, it is not its purpose and there are plenty of other places on TSR to debate these issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
For PBS, is the UMS calculated across the three highest scoring subjects or the three most relevant? Also, would an applicant be unlikely to get an interview if they did well in all their AS exams but one of their subjects is art and the subject that they drop for A2 is NOT art? Does doing art majorly disadvantage an applicant because it is not considered an academic subject? Thank you! :smile:
Reply 197
Hi,

Are English literature, geography, history and French good proposed subjects for a history applicant ?

Of those subjects which would you propose that I dropped for A2 ? If any at all ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 198
Hi. I heard people saying that Christ's gives out EE offers. It that true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rmfiona
Hi. I heard people saying that Christ's gives out EE offers. It that true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It used to, but I think the year before last was the last time ever. I know for certain that they no longer do this.

Latest

Trending

Trending