The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by umutalberts
What math modules are considered "hard"?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Broadly speaking, FP modules and the more advanced applied modules in Mechanics and Stats.
Original post by riley123
Hello, what do you personally, apart from the grades, think makes an excellent candidate;extra curricular etc. thanks in advance

Well I suppose it varies from subject to subject but speaking very generally, an ability and desire to work very hard, evidence of independent thought, asking 'why' and 'how' not just 'what'. Don't underestimate the importance of grades, however, it's what I always look at first and last.
Original post by LittleFaith
Hiya!
I will be applying for veterinary medicine this year and I've been mulling over my A level subjects recently.
Currently I take Maths, Biology, Chemistry and French at AS. I received 12 A* grades at GCSE and expect to get similar results for AS. However at the moment I am worrying that I will not be able to cope with all four subjects next year. I am hoping I will be able to take them all next year (I love them all!) - but I'm still worrying the workload will be too much and doing all four will cost me good grades. Will dropping French and only continuing with the other three disadvantage me in any way or would it not matter hugely because it is French I would be dropping and I'm applying for science?
Similarly if I carry on with French, but get a bad result in it because I am focusing on the science subjects count against me as well?

We do not offer Vet Med at Christ's College but speaking generally about Sciences I think it is fair to say that what matters for us in terms of your A Levels are your Sciences. If you do badly in French but well in your Sciences then it doesn't matter. In the end the decision about continuing has to be yours, it won't affect your application but it is up to you to decide whether you want to have French A Level or whether you wish to focus your attention more on your Sciences. Sorry not to give a definitive answer but I hope this helps a bit.
Hey there, thanks for doing this thread :smile:

I plan to apply to either Economics or Geography at Cambridge and my a level subjects are Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Geography but I was wondering if its better to do AS maths and AS Further maths in year 12 or all of A level maths in year 12 and all of FM in year 13, bearing in mind that if I do decide to do Geography I wouldn't do A2 Further Maths and if the A* or A I was to get in year 12 not count as part of an offer and Its easier to get an A* in A level maths than Further maths? Thanks.
Original post by PhinneasFinn
Good Afternoon,

Although most of the enquiries have been from those applying for Undergraduate degrees, I was wondering what the process is for MA programmes. I'm currently in my second year reading English Lit at UCL and I'm increasingly interested in the idea of studying Victorian Literature in more depth. I like the look of Cambridge course, but I just don't know much about basic details like what form applications take, required standard, timescale ect. Any help would be deeply appreciated,
Thank you

Hello and thanks for your question. I only deal with undergraduate admissions but basic details about the graduate application can be found here. The deadline tends to be 31 March for graduate courses but if you want to apply for funding (not much around for Humanities MPhils) then you need to apply earlier, generally before the new year. The standard offer from other UK universities is usually 2.1 with a 67% average. I hope this is helpful and best of luck in your studies.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the percentage limit for AS grades to guarantee an interview at the very least? Is it really 95 percent?

Well, if you have a 93% average in any subject bar Maths ad Medicine then you are guaranteed an interview as you are eligible for compulsory pooling and everyone pooled has to have been offered an interview.

The published advice, however, is that those below 85% best three are very unlikely to get an interview but that this may rise for competitive subjects. I think the 85 is about right for Humanities subjects, with the exception of Economics but that for Sciences high 88-90 should get you an interview in most cases but not always. If you are getting over 90 as an average then it is unlikely that you wouldn't get an interview.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Well, if you have a 93% average in any subject bar Maths ad Medicine then you are guaranteed an offeras you are eligible for compulsory pooling and everyone pooled ha to have been offered an interview.

The published advice, however, is that those below 85% best three are very unlikely to get an interview but that this may rise for competitive subjects. I think the 85 is about right for Humanities subjects, with the exception of Economics but that for Sciences high 88-90 should get you an interview in most cases but not always. If you are getting over 90 as an average then it is unlikely that you wouldn't get an interview.

Think you've made a typo! If only :lol:
Original post by xXxSharkxXx
Hey there, thanks for doing this thread :smile:

I plan to apply to either Economics or Geography at Cambridge and my a level subjects are Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Geography but I was wondering if its better to do AS maths and AS Further maths in year 12 or all of A level maths in year 12 and all of FM in year 13, bearing in mind that if I do decide to do Geography I wouldn't do A2 Further Maths and if the A* or A I was to get in year 12 not count as part of an offer and Its easier to get an A* in A level maths than Further maths? Thanks.

For both these subjects the standard offer is A*AA and I would be very surprised if a college did not ask for A*AA in Year 13 regardless of whether you took the A Level a year early. I always try to ensure, however, that a student taking Maths & FM is neither advantaged or disadvantaged by the way they take their modules in terms of the offer I give them.
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you went to a bad school or one where the number rofl people with A/A*s is very low,would Cambridge take that into account if the applicant in question a low A like 85 percent?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Think you've made a typo! If only :lol:

Ooops, yes, thank you. I'll correct that! It's been a long day is my only excuse! :smile:
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you went to a bad school or one where the number rofl people with A/A*s is very low,would Cambridge take that into account if the applicant in question a low A like 85 percent?

Yes, we certainly look at contextual data such as this when we are making decisions about interviews and offers.
If i were to apply for a course with grades like CCC, would you laugh at my application and chuck it straight in the bin

Or would you bother reading my PS and would you still consider me

Posted from TSR Mobile
For both these subjects the standard offer is A*AA and I would be very surprised if a college did not ask for A*AA in Year 13 regardless of whether you took the A Level a year early. I always try to ensure, however, that a student taking Maths & FM is neither advantaged or disadvantaged by the way they take their modules in terms of the offer I give them.

Thank you! really helpful.
Reply 53
As promised, I am back with a new thread to answer any questions you may have about Cambridge in general or the admissions process. I'll be here until 8 May and then will be back again, as for the last two years, with thread in July and August-September.

For maths, how important is performance at interview when deciding whether to give an offer or not?

Also, do you look favourably upon applicants doing more maths, such as an AS or A level in Additional Further Maths?

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you 'nearly miss your offer' then you will get a place as you have made your offer! :wink:

Sorry, seriously though, for those who narrowly miss their offer a number of factors come into play. First, just how close you were to making it, which is why it's essential for you to send your UMS marks as soon as you have them (assuming you are doing A Levels). Secondly, how many other students have missed their offers in your subject and across the college as a whole. Some colleges tend to over offer and be very hard in August while others are a bit more lenient. In the end, though, it is entirely up to the college to decide what to do and they will make a decision on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks! Would you say I stand a solid chance if I get A*AA in the subjects required and an A* in a subject that's not part of my offer instead of my offer that is A*A*A?

Do you by any chance have any stats regarding this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Broadly speaking, FP modules and the more advanced applied modules in Mechanics and Stats.

So would FP1, M2 and C4 be considered hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooops, yes, thank you. I'll correct that! It's been a long day is my only excuse! :smile:

Hi Sir, if one was to apply post A Levels to Christs @ Cam would it be acceptable to take up igcses and other a levels in a gap year.

Also do you take into account the area that a student is from. I am aware this is probably very insignificant but is this like a separation factor between equally weighted candidates, rather than an extenuating circumstance.

Do you require STEP 2 and 3 for Engineering/Economics etc. or is that only for maths only.

And finally on this forum, I am not sure how accurate this is - but someone said that they were asked in their interview by an admissions tutor - "How do you know you are not a teapot", what in your opinion would be your answer to said question.

Thanks for doing this!
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

This has been posted a few times already on this forum but just in case you haven't seen it yet......

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/jan/10/how-cambridge-admissions-really-work

Hope this will give you some idea how the well-thought and fairly conducted Cambridge's selection process is.

Dear Christ's Admission Tutor (Great thread, by the way! Been following your threads for a few years with huge respect) .
I know there are opportunities for foreign language learning with the university - could you possibly give some more information about that? How does it work time wise, is it examined etc (if that's your area of expertise). Thank you!
Hi again,

If you only look at the top three A2 level subjects, and if I do an alevel in maths in year 12, would you advise against dropping a subject? Overall, what is your advice on dropping a subject for A2?

Thank you once more!!

Latest

Trending

Trending