The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good news! :smile:

A question regarding 2017 onwards applicants: assuming most will not be able to take AS-levels, will GCSE results have a higher "weighting" in the admissions process?

If not, how will you replace the data points currently provided by ASs? Increasing use of interview tests, use of STEP for non-Maths subjects, or...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hello and thanks so much for doing another of these threads-they're so helpful.

I hope to apply for English for 2016. I am currently studying 4 subjects, English Lit, History, Latin & Philosophy. I will be taking AS Levels in the latter 3 next month however I am taking the Pre-U
in English Literature.

Given that I will be applying for English, how will my UMS be calculated as English can't be included in my 'best 3' results. Will the other subjects UMS be used by default?

Hope that makes sense!
Make the most of this thread guys! Super useful answers from a super awesome college :biggrin:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Make the most of this thread guys! Super useful answers from a super awesome college :biggrin:

Is this the one who've given you an offer?
Reply 5
Hi!

Thanks a lot for doing this thread.

Just a quick couple questions, hope they don't take too long!

I am a current year 12 hoping to read Economics at Cambridge next year. I am taking Economics, Double Maths and Spanish A-Levels this year. Firstly, as I am taking the whole Maths A-Level this year, will my top 3 UMS scores have to be one from each subject, or can two be taken from my Maths result? I am wondering as a friend of mine who has been offered a place this year to do Engineering at Cambridge was told that his Spanish mark would not be taken into account in his offer. Does this put me at a disadvantage in this respect? Or would this depend on which college I apply to?

Further, I may be able to undertake a Pre-U course at Manchester University in the Summer to get more experience of higher level Economics. Is this something that would add to a Cambridge application?

Thanks again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Good news! :smile:

A question regarding 2017 onwards applicants: assuming most will not be able to take AS-levels, will GCSE results have a higher "weighting" in the admissions process?

If not, how will you replace the data points currently provided by ASs? Increasing use of interview tests, use of STEP for non-Maths subjects, or...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi jneill and thanks for asking the most difficult question straight out of the gate! :smile:

In 2017 at least we will still have UMS marks for some subjects which do not change to linear in the first tranche and we will still receive full UMS from Welsh and Northern Irish examinations and the equivalent from CIE International A Levels. UMS will not disappear entirely, therefore, and will still be used where we can, though with significant caveats if a full UMS average cannot be provided.

A number of options are being discussed, as you can imagine, but none has yet been decided upon, not least because we do not yet know the result of the General Election and the impact that this will have on A Levels. The Labour Party is pledged to return to AS Levels and that would obviously have implications on our thinking if they were to be in power and to honour this commitment. Until this becomes clear then I do not think we will be able to decide firmly what to do and then to announce it. We realise, however, that time is pressing so I expect that something concrete will appear in the next few months.

Sorry not to give a definitive answer now but when we have one I promise that I'll be back here to answer questions about any new procedures or how we expect to handle the post AS world. One of the things we are keen on, however, is getting opinions from schools and students about what they think we should do as that will help us in our decision making, so if people want to offer then I'm happy to listen and feedback.
Original post by Disco2000
Hello and thanks so much for doing another of these threads-they're so helpful.

I hope to apply for English for 2016. I am currently studying 4 subjects, English Lit, History, Latin & Philosophy. I will be taking AS Levels in the latter 3 next month however I am taking the Pre-U
in English Literature.

Given that I will be applying for English, how will my UMS be calculated as English can't be included in my 'best 3' results. Will the other subjects UMS be used by default?

Hope that makes sense!

Hi there and thanks for your question. Yes, it makes perfect sense. Your best 3 average will be calculated using your 3 AS Level subjects. We would take careful note of the fact, however, that English was not one of your AS subjects and would bare this in mind when weighing up your AS performance. Obviously the prediction in your Pre-U will be of interest to us as well and we would be expecting at least a D3 and probably a D2 prediction. I hope this is helpful and do feel free to ask more.
Original post by Callum-G
Hi!

Thanks a lot for doing this thread.

Just a quick couple questions, hope they don't take too long!

I am a current year 12 hoping to read Economics at Cambridge next year. I am taking Economics, Double Maths and Spanish A-Levels this year. Firstly, as I am taking the whole Maths A-Level this year, will my top 3 UMS scores have to be one from each subject, or can two be taken from my Maths result? I am wondering as a friend of mine who has been offered a place this year to do Engineering at Cambridge was told that his Spanish mark would not be taken into account in his offer. Does this put me at a disadvantage in this respect? Or would this depend on which college I apply to?

Further, I may be able to undertake a Pre-U course at Manchester University in the Summer to get more experience of higher level Economics. Is this something that would add to a Cambridge application?

Thanks again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there and thanks for your questions. To take the second one first, taking a summer course is a good thing yes and will help your application as it is evidence of super-curricular engagement. What really matters, however, is what you gain from that experience, so go there eager to learn and willing to come back and read and discover more based on things that piqued your interest.

To answer your first question, UMS averages are calculated centrally but each college may use averages differently or be more interested in some subject scores than others. Your friend's Spanish score was not included in his calculation because he was applying for Engineering and only Science A Levels are counted towards UMS averages for Science applicants.

Maths, however the modules are put together or how many have been done, always provides a single Maths score when providing a UMS average. Your best 3 average (which is the principal calculation for Arts & Humanities subjects) will be taken from Maths (all six modules), Economics and Spanish. I hope that is clear but do feel free to ask more if not.
Reply 9
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hi jneill and thanks for asking the most difficult question straight out of the gate! :smile:

Sorry! :smile:

Given the GE is on 7th May you'll have plenty of time to update us before this thread finishes on the 8th :wink:
Original post by jneill
Sorry! :smile:

Given the GE is on 7th May you'll have plenty of time to update us before this thread finishes on the 8th :wink:

Oh absolutely, like all bureaucracies, Cambridge moves with lightening speed! I'm sure we'll have decided by the time the first results come out around midnight! :smile:
Reply 11
Oh absolutely, like all bureaucracies, Cambridge moves with lightening speed! I'm sure we'll have decided by the time the first results come out around midnight! :smile:

It's good to have you back :smile:
Original post by jneill
It's good to have you back :smile:

Thanks, it's nice to be welcomed back. To keep with the GE theme, I hope that, as they always say on voting day, that the pace of questioning will be 'brisk', though I expect to be much busier in July and especially August when the results come out. It's a good time to ask now, though, as people can still have a major impact on their application with their exams and plans for the summer.
I'm going to reapply this year. But will it be an great advantage if I take STEP before applying. I am going to apply for engineering. And if I take the exam but did poorly in it , will it automatically appear in my application(since it is an test administered by Cambridge)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Duke Glacia
I'm going to reapply this year. But will it be an great advantage if I take STEP before applying. I am going to apply for engineering. And if I take the exam but did poorly in it , will it automatically appear in my application(since it is an test administered by Cambridge)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck with your re-application. Doing well in STEP would certainly be an advantage in your application. Most colleges don't ask for STEP in Engineering (we do at Christ's, though) but I think that all colleges would be interested in your results as STEP is a good indicator of mathematical ability which is, in turn, a vital part of the Cambridge Engineering degree.

Our information comes from UCAS and from the SAQ form so unless you declare it there then we will not receive information about it. You are supposed, however, to provide full information on your exams to UCAS and in the SAQ and not doing so could invalidate your application. I hope this is useful.
Your best 3 average (which is the principal calculation for Arts & Humanities subjects) will be taken from Maths (all six modules), Economics and Spanish. I hope that is clear but do feel free to ask more if not.

Perfect. Thanks a lot for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Callum-G
Perfect. Thanks a lot for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are welcome :smile:
Reply 17
Hello :smile:
Thanks for the thread again!
I'm applying for Physical NatSci this year
I was wondering how much of an importance ISA UMS takes part in science subjects (specifically physics). I am well on my way to almost full UMS in other two units hopefully, but unfortunatelyISA result has not been very satisfactory. Similarly what is your stance on Decsion units UMS in maths

Thanks a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there and thanks for your question. Yes, it makes perfect sense. Your best 3 average will be calculated using your 3 AS Level subjects. We would take careful note of the fact, however, that English was not one of your AS subjects and would bare this in mind when weighing up your AS performance. Obviously the prediction in your Pre-U will be of interest to us as well and we would be expecting at least a D3 and probably a D2 prediction. I hope this is helpful and do feel free to ask more.

Thank you, that's really helpful.

I don't think my school ever gives D1 predictions, but I'm confident they'll predict me a D2. Presumably other schools do predict D1s though. How much difference would a D1 vs a D2 prediction make in your deliberations?
Hi, thank you for this thread.

If all goes well, I will be applying for Natural Sciences this year and I wanted to ask, how much do the admissions team take into consideration AS Levels which are not relevant to the Natural Sciences course. In my case, that would be English Literature against Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

Also, if I were to take English Literature to A2 as a fourth A Level, would it be of any advantage at all?

And finally, will taking up AS Further Mathematics be useful for the Natural Sciences course? I am generally thinking of Biological Natural Sciences but that may sway towards Physical.

Thank you for your help :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending