The Student Room Group

May June Exam

Hi guys, i'm going to face my first a level exam this june, and i'm taking biology, math, chemistry and physics, heard that bio and math exam is pretty hard, any recommendation or maybe would you guys share your experience about the exam?
Thank you very much xx:smile::smile::smile:
I'm doing the same A Levels as you currently. I mean the only way for you to find out is to do past papers. If you do them in exam conditions, without any help from textbooks, the mark scheme etc. it's almost like sitting a real exam. Practice is important, especially with maths because you either know the methods or you don't, and textbook questions tend to be completely unlike real exam questions. Use ExamSolutions for maths if you don't already, and just practice past papers everyday or 3/4 times a week if everyday is too much. I don't know what exam boards you do for the sciences, but questions are frequently repeated with all exam boards (especially OCR) if you do all the past papers from say 2009, you'll be sufficiently prepared provided you go over topics you get wrong (!) and use the mark scheme to correct your papers - I recommend you make flashcards with the questions you got wrong and model answers on the back- helps massively! Best of luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by victoria98
I'm doing the same A Levels as you currently. I mean the only way for you to find out is to do past papers. If you do them in exam conditions, without any help from textbooks, the mark scheme etc. it's almost like sitting a real exam. Practice is important, especially with maths because you either know the methods or you don't, and textbook questions tend to be completely unlike real exam questions. Use ExamSolutions for maths if you don't already, and just practice past papers everyday or 3/4 times a week if everyday is too much. I don't know what exam boards you do for the sciences, but questions are frequently repeated with all exam boards (especially OCR) if you do all the past papers from say 2009, you'll be sufficiently prepared provided you go over topics you get wrong (!) and use the mark scheme to correct your papers - I recommend you make flashcards with the questions you got wrong and model answers on the back- helps massively! Best of luck :smile:

Thank you soo much :smile:
What about the paper 3? I'm afraid of my paper 3 biology :frown:
Original post by elshast
Thank you soo much :smile:
What about the paper 3? I'm afraid of my paper 3 biology :frown:

I'm not sure what you mean by paper 3? I imagine we do different exam boards! Is it the ISA? If you tell me what it is I can help you.
Reply 4
I'm not sure what you mean by paper 3? I imagine we do different exam boards! Is it the ISA? If you tell me what it is I can help you.

What is ISA? Wait, isn't a level exam (on bio, physics and chem) consist of 5 paper, paper 1 for multiple choice, 2 and 4 for structured question, 3 anf 5 for practical test?
Newbie here sorry if i don't know much about the exam system :smile:)
Original post by elshast
What is ISA? Wait, isn't a level exam (on bio, physics and chem) consist of 5 paper, paper 1 for multiple choice, 2 and 4 for structured question, 3 anf 5 for practical test?
Newbie here sorry if i don't know much about the exam system :smile:)

ISA is the controlled assessment- practical. I do OCR so I have two exams for AS and two for A2. So I have two exams this year for each science. What exam board do you do? I'm guessing you're worried about one of the practical tests?
Reply 6
ISA is the controlled assessment- practical. I do OCR so I have two exams for AS and two for A2. So I have two exams this year for each science. What exam board do you do? I'm guessing you're worried about one of the practical tests?

Exactly, i hear quite a lot that practical exam on bio is pretty hard, and you rarely found someone with a* on bio, that scares me...
Reply 7
Hey, Im doing an ISA in a few days on circuits/light bulbs, can anyone help me out? Im so lost!!!

Quick Reply

Latest