The Student Room Group

Rates of Reactions and Orders help!

So I went over this topic again for revision purposes.

Why is the reaction 1st order wrt H+ and DIMP when as the conc of both doubles, the rate quadruples? :s

Question and MS are attached.

Any help appreciated!

Reply 1
One way I thought about this is squaring the concentration and getting

0.01 and 0.04

then its the same ratio as the initial rate. so First order.

Is this right?
Reply 2
There is information missing.

You can't know if it is 1st order WRT [H+] AND [DIMP] or 2nd order WRT [H+] or 2nd order WRT [DIMP].

Were you told / worked out earlier that it is 1st order WRT [DIMP]?

If you were, the table makes sense. Between expt. 1 & 2, the [DIMP] doubled, which would double the rate, but the rate has quadrupled, i.e. it has doubled, then something else has made the rate double. Oooh look, [H+] has also doubled. Hmmm, doubling [H+] leads to a doubling of the rate. That sounds familiar.
Reply 3
Original post by Pigster

You can't know if it is 1st order WRT [H+] AND [DIMP] or 2nd order WRT [H+] or 2nd order WRT [DIMP].

If you were, the table makes sense. Between expt. 1 & 2, the [DIMP] doubled, which would double the rate, but the rate has quadrupled, i.e. it has doubled, then something else has made the rate double. Oooh look, [H+] has also doubled. Hmmm, doubling [H+] leads to a doubling of the rate. That sounds familiar.

Yeah in previous parts I worked out that dimp is 1st order.
Reply 4
Original post by Pigster

Thanks for the explanation, I get it now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest