The Student Room Group

Leicester University vs Kings College London

I applied to transfer to Computer Science year 2 and received offers from Kings College as well as Leicester University. However there is only one catch.

First of all, I live in Leicester so the obvious choice I had was Leicester University but also because they granted me a year 2 entry. However KCL granted me a year 1 entry due to them wanting me to follow their syllabus as the one I am currently on differs from them. Going to KCL would require more finances and I'll have to repeat a year so I was very convinced on firming Leicester University but I wanted advice as to what is more worth it. Is it worth me graduating from London and having a higher job prospect as well as having higher debt or should I save my time and money and go to Leicester Uni?
Original post by redrails
I applied to transfer to Computer Science year 2 and received offers from Kings College as well as Leicester University. However there is only one catch.

First of all, I live in Leicester so the obvious choice I had was Leicester University but also because they granted me a year 2 entry. However KCL granted me a year 1 entry due to them wanting me to follow their syllabus as the one I am currently on differs from them. Going to KCL would require more finances and I'll have to repeat a year so I was very convinced on firming Leicester University but I wanted advice as to what is more worth it. Is it worth me graduating from London and having a higher job prospect as well as having higher debt or should I save my time and money and go to Leicester Uni?

IMO, I do not think it is worth it, especially if they require you to be year 1 entry. Not to mention the financial implications of living in London.

The only universities it would be worth it to make such a transition would be the likes of Warwick, Imperial or Oxbridge. Leicester has a good ranking and the course is accredited by the BCS. KCL has more solid prospects, but in the end, it is up to you whether the expensive life in London and the extra year would be worth it.
Original post by redrails

I'd personally transfer to KCL. The opportunities in London are much greater and the syllabus looks somewhat more interesting than Leicester's. You'd, without a doubt, have a much greater exposure to employers and the startup tech scene - if that is something you'd like to explore.

If you are worried about student finance, don't be, you get an extra year of funding (dubbed false start I believe) which will allow you to see through a degree from year 1. Student Finance england also apply a 'London Weighting' to the loan/grant you get.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
I'd personally transfer to KCL. The opportunities in London are much greater and the syllabus looks somewhat more interesting than Leicester's. You'd, without a doubt, have a much greater exposure to employers and the startup tech scene - if that is something you'd like to explore.

If you are worried about student finance, don't be, you get an extra year of funding (dubbed false start I believe) which will allow you to see through a degree from year 1. Student Finance england also apply a 'London Weighting' to the loan/grant you get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Another thing I would like to add to add to Prince's comment about King's is that it has strong links with the finance sector. Based on my research, their computer scientists are known to go into finance/IB. If that is something you are interested in, it is definitely worth to consider.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending